Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2020/21 European Competitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020/21 European Competitions
    Posted: 06 August 2020 at 3:22pm

The European cup competitions are set to feature 24 teams rather than 20 for one season only, with clubs playing just four games - two home and two away - in the pool stages.

These are scheduled to take place on the weekends of 12-13 and 19-20 December 2020, plus 16-17 and 23-24 January 2021.

In order to make up for the reduction in European fixtures, and the financial shortfall of each club having one home game fewer, it is understood there is a firm proposal for the quarter-finals to take place over two weekends in early April, with unprecedented 'home and away' ties.

The 2021 European finals are booked for the weekend of 21-22 May in Marseille, before the culmination of the English domestic club season and the Lions tour.

Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 3:27pm
I thought the whole point of changing the competition to 4 pool games was to reduce the weekends that the tournament takes to run, then they go and throw in an extra weekend for H&A quater-finals? Confused

Seems a bit pointless, might as well add another weekend and run it as normal.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 3:39pm
Hopefully we will be allowed spectators by then!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

I thought the whole point of changing the competition to 4 pool games was to reduce the weekends that the tournament takes to run, then they go and throw in an extra weekend for H&A quater-finals? Confused

Seems a bit pointless, might as well add another weekend and run it as normal.

There won’t be as many clubs. No doubt the ones not in it will play league games. 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 4:11pm
If it does end up being a case that knocked out teams will play league games then fair enough, but that has historically never been the case. 
The Pro14 take long enough to release fixtures when they have firm vision of what weekends are available so can't wait to see them rearranging fixtures between the end of January and early April.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 4:52pm

If it does end up being a case that knocked out teams will play league games then fair enough, but that has historically never been the case. 
The Pro14 take long enough to release fixtures when they have firm vision of what weekends are available so can't wait to see them rearranging fixtures between the end of January and early April.

The sporting calendar is so messed up anything is possible. At least with Premier sports we get the fixtures way in advance. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 5:31pm
If we have 24 teams and 4 weekends for 4 matches, 2 home and 2 away, how many are in a pool and how do is it worked out who plays who where, if it’s home or away?

Or have I been out in the sun too long?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

If we have 24 teams and 4 weekends for 4 matches, 2 home and 2 away, how many are in a pool and how do is it worked out who plays who where, if it’s home or away?

8 groups of 3 teams I’m guessing?

Top team in each group qualifies
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 5:58pm
Yeah I think that's the case Multi.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Thanks for that Multi. That does make some sense, except if we each have 4 games to play, we must also have 2 weekends off.

With 4 games to play and only 4 weekends to fit them in........Confused
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 6:01pm

I know what you mean, with it being 3 teams it's going to take 6 weeks to complete the pool fixtures so not sure why the BBC article doesn't state 6 weekends for the fixtures?

And I definitely have been out in the sun too long as it's been raining here all day LOL
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 7:05pm
I quite like this format (albeit as a one-off).  If your good enough to get out of your pool/conference you get rewarded with an extra home game - it also means that you don’t get unfairly treated by having to play a one-off 1/4 final away from home based on the fact that someone had an easier pool and hence ran up a greater number of points.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 9:44pm

I know what you mean, with it being 3 teams it's going to take 6 weeks to complete the pool fixtures so not sure why the BBC article doesn't state 6 weekends for the fixtures?

And I definitely have been out in the sun too long as it's been raining here all day LOL
I think it's going to be a bit like the old Anglo-Welsh, where you play teams in another pool. 6 pools of 4. We'll play 4 fixtures against 4 different teams in another pool. 2 home, 2 away.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

I don't think that sounds right, it would mean we'd play each team in our group twice at home and twice away. As someone else said, I think It would be 6 groups of 4 and it's Pool A teams versus Pool B teams, C v D and E v F. It's an odd set up because theoretically you can lose all your games but still top your group if you haven't lost as badly as the other teams in your group. 

Also, I think the extra QF weekend is because the fixture congestion is at the start of the season rather than the end and because around May there's more leeway, i.e. spare weekends. 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I think it's going to be a bit like the old Anglo-Welsh, where you play teams in another pool. 6 pools of 4. We'll play 4 fixtures against 4 different teams in another pool. 2 home, 2 away.
I hope that this is not the case as it's a terrible format.

Edited by minded - 06 August 2020 at 11:41pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 7:26am

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I hope that this is not the case as it's a terrible format.
Agreed, as it’s a huge lottery re whether you meet the strongest opponents at home or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic