Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2020/21 European Competitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 8:50am
It would be good to see something from EPCR around the set up.
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

If we have 24 teams and 4 weekends for 4 matches, 2 home and 2 away, how many are in a pool and how do is it worked out who plays who where, if it’s home or away?

Or have I been out in the sun too long?
I know what you mean, with it being 3 teams it's going to take 6 weeks to complete the pool fixtures so not sure why the BBC article doesn't state 6 weekends for the fixtures?

And I definitely have been out in the sun too long as it's been raining here all day LOL
I think it's going to be a bit like the old Anglo-Welsh, where you play teams in another pool. 6 pools of 4. We'll play 4 fixtures against 4 different teams in another pool. 2 home, 2 away.
I hope that this is not the case as it's a terrible format.
Agreed, as it’s a huge lottery re whether you meet the strongest opponents at home or not.
For me it's the fact you can have one pool where all teams lose majority of their games and a team will go through to QF on 1 win, then the other pool say 3 teams have won all their games but only 1 or 2 will progress.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 8:57am
All I know is we must play Toulon. It's the law.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

As ever, when we’re in the same competition, I’m hoping we play Bordeaux home and away. 🍷 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 9:25am

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

As ever, when we’re in the same competition, I’m hoping we play Bordeaux home and away. 🍷 

Excellent choice - I'll go with that.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 11:19am
It sounds straight forward to me, 8 pools of 3 teams, that’s 4 games each.
Winners of each pool go into the 1/4 finals and then play each other home and away.  That means if you reach the 1/4 finals, you play 6 games (same number as you would expect to play in the pool stages up to this season), it also means 2 free weekends for the 16 teams that don’t make it out of the pools.
It takes away the uncertainty of not knowing whether you can finish in the top 3 runner up spots and also takes away the unfairness of one of the pool winners (under current rules) having to miss out on a home 1/4 final tie.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

It sounds straight forward to me, 8 pools of 3 teams, that’s 4 games each.
Winners of each pool go into the 1/4 finals and then play each other home and away.  That means if you reach the 1/4 finals, you play 6 games (same number as you would expect to play in the pool stages up to this season), it also means 2 free weekends for the 16 teams that don’t make it out of the pools.
It takes away the uncertainty of not knowing whether you can finish in the top 3 runner up spots and also takes away the unfairness of one of the pool winners (under current rules) having to miss out on a home 1/4 final tie.
But you can't play 4 games each for 3 teams in 4 weekends, and the article suggests there's only going to be 4 weekends for the pool stages.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 12:29pm
You can if the format remains the same, you play the other 2 teams in your pool home and away (that’s 4 games over 4 weekends).  Then the 8 pool winners play each other at the 1/4 final stage.
It wouldn’t be possible if the format changed to something like the Anglo Welsh cup from a few seasons back, as you would then be playing 6 games against 3 other teams (3 home and 3 away).
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

You can if the format remains the same, you play the other 2 teams in your pool home and away (that’s 4 games over 4 weekends).  Then the 8 pool winners play each other at the 1/4 final stage.
It wouldn’t be possible if the format changed to something like the Anglo Welsh cup from a few seasons back, as you would then be playing 6 games against 3 other teams (3 home and 3 away).

Yes its 4 games over 4 weekends but the point is with 3 teams home and away you are going to need to play 6 games in total that equates to 6 weekends.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 6:34pm
Your right, they obviously haven’t thought it through properly or explained themselves properly.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 7:28pm
The 8 pools of 3 would make sense if there is one team from each league in every pool. Then you could schedule it so that all the teams from the same league have their ‘bye’ round on the same weekend, where a normal programme from that league could take place. Although with this format, as others have said you would still need to have six weekends for it.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

The 8 pools of 3 would make sense if there is one team from each league in every pool. Then you could schedule it so that all the teams from the same league have their ‘bye’ round on the same weekend, where a normal programme from that league could take place. Although with this format, as others have said you would still need to have six weekends for it.
A plays B on first designated weekend. Team C has a rest.

And so on until 6 weeks have passed to enable each of the three teams to play 2 matches at home and 2 away.

It doesn’t work within 4 designated weekends and it’s very noticeable that the English Broadcasting Company website (EBC) have issued the imprecise article, whereas the guys in charge (EPC) have stayed quiet.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 07 August 2020 at 7:35pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 8:19pm
They did state that there were 8 teams from the Pro14 in next season’s champions cup, so maybe that’s how they are going to organise the pool stages.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 4:53pm

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

If we have 24 teams and 4 weekends for 4 matches, 2 home and 2 away, how many are in a pool and how do is it worked out who plays who where, if it’s home or away?

Or have I been out in the sun too long?
I know what you mean, with it being 3 teams it's going to take 6 weeks to complete the pool fixtures so not sure why the BBC article doesn't state 6 weekends for the fixtures?

And I definitely have been out in the sun too long as it's been raining here all day LOL
I think it's going to be a bit like the old Anglo-Welsh, where you play teams in another pool. 6 pools of 4. We'll play 4 fixtures against 4 different teams in another pool. 2 home, 2 away.
I hope that this is not the case as it's a terrible format.
I agree Ian, but I don’t see how else you can make it work over just 4 weekends. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 1:59pm
Apparently the initial knockout stage will be home and away as well like in football to give an extra game to those who qualify.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Apparently the initial knockout stage will be home and away as well like in football to give an extra game to those who qualify.
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

it is understood there is a firm proposal for the quarter-finals to take place over two weekends in early April, with unprecedented 'home and away' ties.

Edited by minded - 10 August 2020 at 2:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic