Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will Homer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2020 at 11:12pm
Guess we'll never know, but I think we will miss him. 
Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 12:06pm
4 pages into this thread and I count maybe 7 posts actually discussing Will Homer’s abilities Confused
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

4 pages into this thread and I count maybe 7 posts actually discussing Will Homer’s abilities Confused

I'd guess no one here has seen him play?

I haven't (other than that 2 minute clip on you tube)

Do Jersey rugby have a fans forum? be interesting to see what they say

It's unusual for us to take the current and previous jersey number 9's (even though hardy is a local lad)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

It's unusual for us to take the current and previous jersey number 9's (even though hardy is a local lad)
I’ve seen him play twice v Ealing Trailfinders. Looked sharp but behind a pack that was very much second best on one occasion - he kept going right to the end when he scored his try - and the other time was more nip and tuck forward and score wise. Possibly Ealing took their foot off the gas a bit. In any event, he did very well with his opportunities, with two tries in a narrow defeat.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I’ve seen him play twice v Ealing Trailfinders. Looked sharp but behind a pack that was very much second best on one occasion - he kept going right to the end when he scored his try - and the other time was more nip and tuck forward and score wise. Possibly Ealing took their foot off the gas a bit. In any event, he did very well with his opportunities, with two tries in a narrow defeat.

EO is the man to speak to

Out of curio what is the standard like ? better than the welsh prem closer to pro 14?
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 2:26pm

Supporters forums are the best. YouTube clips aren’t the best. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 5:45pm

Out of curio what is the standard like ? better than the welsh prem closer to pro 14?
Nice of you to say so............however, not necessarily on matters of rugby judgment.

I’d say there’s something about him. I noticed him in a contest where they lost and I’d no great interest in their team or players. Arwel, a Dragons 10 on loan, was outside him and I paid more attention to him. 

Not having seen a Welsh Premiership match except maybe some snippets on TV, I can’t give you the comparison. The matches were competitive and each had their moments but Ealing were expected to win.

Others on here will have seen more of the English Championship. FWIW, I watched Ealing v Newcastle and thought Ealing didn’t do themselves justice and were slightly hampered by an injury or two that didn’t reveal themselves until after the match. 

To return to the subject, and with a name like that there’s no option, he caught my eye even when I wasn’t bothered. He has speed and scores tries.

Let’s see what happens when the competitive stuff starts and his turn comes.

In particular, I’m looking forward to see if his name can help counteract refereeing inclinations when we’re away from home. Faint hope, maybe.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 12 August 2020 at 5:46pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Maybe we wanted him, but Jonny may have wanted too much money. We don't know.......unless someone knows better.

From an outside view and sources I would not be willing to divulge, Evans has been treated abysmally by Scarlets (Brad) last season. He was fit and playing well with Quins while Hardy went through bad patch but was not being selected for some reason. Blacker selected ahead of him when Cawdor away on National duty.
 Evans played once just before Covid struck and unfortunately not given the chance to show his form. After being pushed to the back of the queue of scrum halves was then offered a derisory contract designed to be unacceptable which effectively forced him out of the door with no choice.. 
i know professional sport is a cut throat business and financial issues come into play when looking at a cheaper option in one position to supplement the wages of new signings in others, but surely the quality of the player should be a consideration too, as when Cawdor is away and maybe Hardy (overrated at the moment) then we will be left with Homer and Blacker... good luck with that and hope I'm proved wrong..
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Maybe we wanted him, but Jonny may have wanted too much money. We don't know.......unless someone knows better.

From an outside view and sources I would not be willing to divulge, Evans has been treated abysmally by Scarlets (Brad) last season. He was fit and playing well with Quins while Hardy went through bad patch but was not being selected for some reason. Blacker selected ahead of him when Cawdor away on National duty.
 Evans played once just before Covid struck and unfortunately not given the chance to show his form. After being pushed to the back of the queue of scrum halves was then offered a derisory contract designed to be unacceptable which effectively forced him out of the door with no choice.. 
i know professional sport is a cut throat business and financial issues come into play when looking at a cheaper option in one position to supplement the wages of new signings in others, but surely the quality of the player should be a consideration too, as when Cawdor is away and maybe Hardy (overrated at the moment) then we will be left with Homer and Blacker... good luck with that and hope I'm proved wrong..

WHilst I can't comment on what you 'know', saying that Hardy is over rated is a bit beyond. Yes he may have the odd poor patch of form, but who doesn't? He is one of the best young Welsh players in the country at the moment.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 10:44am
Outside source....ok then.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 10:52am
TBH brad didn't seem to  give evans a fair crack of the whip or ioan

in the same way in his last season pivac seemed to have a downer on stef and dan jones

I like evans good all round 9 , I know cash is short but he is 100% good enough to be playing regional rugby and would likely be the second best 9 at any of the regions

Hardy is another good all round 9, has all the skills but like all young players will have dips in form

imo he has a better all round skill set than Cawdor , but Cawdor exceptional pace and try scoring ability is miles ahead of hardy and all our 9s
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 11:04am
Coaches have preferences and that always has and always will be the case, can't keep everyone in a squad happy.

You can only really judge them on results then, and Brad did pretty well there.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Coaches have preferences and that always has and always will be the case, can't keep everyone in a squad happy.

You can only really judge them on results then, and Brad did pretty well there.

Spot on. I do agree that I don't think Evans was given a fair chance under Brad, and I've always rated him highly and would've liked to have seen him given more opportunities. However, different coaches have different opinions on players and different preferences and it is for them to decide who they want in their team. Also worth noting that unlike the coaches, we aren't present at training during the week and don't see how players perform in training, attitude, relationships with other players, fitness etc. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

But just because a player is not being selected doesn’t mean he’s being treated “appallingly”.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 3:21pm
For every 80 minutes we see a player coaches see them what - 20 hours? More?

I find it very hard to believe that a coach of Brad’s quality/integrity would hold a petty grudge against a player.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 5:32pm

I still have nightmares thinking about the Trailfinders defeat of our A team a few years ago. I would have said that the english championship is much better than our Premiership but a decent Pro 14 team should be compared with GP teams surely?
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic