Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tour de France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

In fairness to Brailsford Ineos did go to the tour with two leaders- Bernal and the winner of last year’s Giro (can’t remember his name). Before the tour Geraint’s form wasn’t that great so I can understand why they didn’t pick him. A mistake, yes, but not a clanger in my opinion.

I might concede that Carapaz wasn't a bad call - he had a decent ride today out in front, until he got passed in the last few km - but picking Bernal was daft, given his injury problem which led to him quitting his previous race. You don't take on the TDF carrying an injury. Besides, the rest of the squad have not been up to snuff - if they had to go with Bernal (as the holder), adding Geraint and Carapaz would have made the team stronger overall, and harder to mark.
If Bernal was injured before the Tour then I agree completely. Wasn’t aware that he’d picked up the niggle beforehand, I’d just assumed that it was something he suffered during the tour. 

He was - it was widely reported:

“Egan is the out-and-out leader, he deserves the right to be the leader, he won last year, he’s a brilliant rider, and we all know that he’s a great talent,” Brailsford re-iterated. “We’ll start the race very much with Egan as the outright leader of the team and support him support him fully in that.”

The only question mark will be the back injury that forced Bernal to abandon the Critérium du Dauphiné as a precaution, the Colombian saying he’s feeling much better but is still recovering

I still am in a little bit of back pain, to be honest. I’m much better than I was at the Dauphiné, there I was in really bad pain, but I’m getting better,” Bernal explained. “I’m hoping to [get better] during the Tour and try to recover [fully], especially for the last week.”

(From Cycling Weekly on 28 August)

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/egan-bernal-still-dealing-with-back-injury-as-brailsford-orders-forward-march-465036

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 5:17pm
POGACAR WINS THE TDF!

He takes back the 57s he was behind Roglic, and an extra minute to boot!

A terrific ride from the young man (21) - Roglic didn't have the legs today, or his team to help him.

Pogacar won the stage too, BTW. A superb performance.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 5:23pm

POGACAR WINS THE TDF!

A terrific ride from the young man (21) - Roglic didn't have the legs today, or his team to help him.

Truly incredible! Well done to him, the youngest rider to win the tour in a century and the first to win three different jerseys since 1969!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 6:53pm

POGACAR WINS THE TDF!

Truly incredible! Well done to him, the youngest rider to win the tour in a century and the first to win three different jerseys since 1969!

Indeed - to win three jerseys (yellow, mountains and young rider) - takes some doing. Who did it in '69?
Merckx is my guess!
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 7:22pm

POGACAR WINS THE TDF!

Indeed - to win three jerseys (yellow, mountains and young rider) - takes some doing. Who did it in '69?
Merckx is my guess!
Correct, he won the points, mountains and yellow (Wikipedia not any personal knowledge.)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 7:30pm

POGACAR WINS THE TDF!

Merckx is my guess!
Correct, he won the points, mountains and yellow (Wikipedia not any personal knowledge.)

have you seen the BBC report? it's rubbish!

I watched the last few riders live on French TV. For a start, no way did anyone think Roglic was a far better time triallist - Pogacar beat him in the Slovenian national, though only by 9s. The expert opinion was that there would be little in it, with most expecting Roglic to win by a small margin - though there were dissenters.

As for the description of Roglic's ride - it's totally wrong. The TV live feed showed that FROM THE VERY START Pogacar was gaining seconds on Roglic, so that by the bottom of the climb he'd already taken 30s out of his 57s lead. Roglic's problem with changing bikes had more to do with the fact that the team (or Roglic) actually started uphill before changing - a mistake, though whose wasn't clear. For that matter, Pogacar's bike change wasn't as qquick or smooth as it might have been either.

In truth, he smashed it and proved he was by far the strongest rider on the day. Well done!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 8:09pm
Brilliant by Pogacar. Such an outstanding performance and he’s lit up the race since being unlucky enough to lose those 81 seconds in the crosswinds. To get his third (I think) stage win to get yellow at the last moment is fantastic. 

Not bad at all for a 21 year old. Hope he defends his crown better than Bernal has done.

At the same time, I feel very sorry for Roglic. Thought he deserved to win and had he done so, no one would have begrudged him it. He must have had his one bad day when there was no team to help him through it.

Sorry that Carapaz didn’t get the King of the Mountains. To coast to the climb and put all the effort in there, yet still not be fastest up the climb says much for Pogacar.

Great entertainment over the 3 weeks with a little more tomorrow. Hopefully, George Bennet will take the stage to top off his green jersey win.

Nice to see Richie Porte get on the podium after all his years of not delivering on his potential, through a mis of misfortune, injury and/or cracking.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic