Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Amazon Prime set to broadcast the Autumn matches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amazon Prime set to broadcast the Autumn matches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbank2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazon Prime set to broadcast the Autumn matches
    Posted: 10 September 2020 at 11:01pm
The Telegraph are reporting that Amazon Prime are to show the Autumn Cup matches. I will be interested to see the details. Hope it’s a good deal as the current Six Nations deal is hugely undervalued. 
Scarlets am Byth
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 8:14am
Free to air is a huge pull for sponsors and to keep viewing figures high, bit of a shame. Can pubs/clubs get prine?
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 8:37am
Great news prime is cheap
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 8:46am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Free to air is a huge pull for sponsors and to keep viewing figures high, bit of a shame. Can pubs/clubs get prine?

Simple fire stick (£30) & a prime membership should do it.

joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 11:21am
Whilst I'm sad it's not free to air, I think that the games may either be behind closed doors or with restricted fans, so it would otherwise be a big blow in terms of revenue.

I might see if I can get another Amazon Prime free trial. Last time, I managed to binge watch all episodes of the Grand Tour. Plus it means free delivery on all Christmas shopping.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 11:22am
This could well be an Amazon finger in the water moment. Rugby is crying out for a centralised agreement for broadcasting and the influence of CVC is clearly being felt. Amazon prime is £79.00 per annum at the moment, a fire stick is £30 to £50 depending on the sophistication required ( I have one for instance which is connected to Alexa for voice commands). Imagine it - Steff Evans scores the winning try against Toulouse in the 2021 Champions Cup final from behind his goal line featuring every one of the 15 players. Command - Alexa please play that final 30 seconds until I tell you to stop.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 12:16pm

150 million people across the world have Amazon Prime, when you add in people sharing subscriptions through different devices you can probably make that about 200 million, not a bad worldwide reach for international sponsors.

Also 40% of uk adults (over 16) have access to Prime.

Edited by Gate12 - 11 September 2020 at 12:18pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 12:54pm
There is a way of getting it free for the two months. I’ll post later when I have more time. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

150 million people across the world have Amazon Prime, when you add in people sharing subscriptions through different devices you can probably make that about 200 million, not a bad worldwide reach for international sponsors.

not sure hoards of American teenagers will be glued to European rugby though  LOLLOL

do more people in the uk (which is the core audience for British international rugby games) have access to the bbc and itv or amazon prime?

As you point out 40% of uk adults have access to amazon prime , so in other words 60% don't

Edited by RR1972 - 11 September 2020 at 1:01pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 1:02pm
Here’s your workaround for Amazon video

The rugby is on for two months. Amazon video is free for one month then £5.99. After the first month has gone go online and cancel before it renews. £5.99 for the whole tournament. 

Any students in the household can get it free for 6 months. 

So basically £5.99 is the most you’ll pay if you want to watch the whole tournament. Or if you’re really tight, cancel the trial before the 30 days then rejoin with another email account for another free 30 days. 

Plus access to their Black Friday sales and free postage and lower Amazon prices for Xmas to boot if you pay £7.99 and have full Amazon prime.  

Edited by SA14 - 13 September 2020 at 8:36pm
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 1:42pm

not sure hoards of American teenagers will be glued to European rugby though  LOLLOL

do more people in the uk (which is the core audience for British international rugby games) have access to the bbc and itv or amazon prime?

As you point out 40% of uk adults have access to amazon prime , so in other words 60% don't

You're right, why try and reach new markets, lets just focus on the UK.

The 2 million British people in the US and those that watch MLR let alone those in NZ, Oz, SA, Japan, Argentina etc. won't bother watching top international rugby matches which don't involve their team.

All rugby will likely end up on some form of subscription service and if it ends up being bundled in one service (one of the cheapest too with additional benefits) and our club get more money off the back of it I won't be complaining.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 2:33pm

The 2 million British people in the US and those that watch MLR let alone those in NZ, Oz, SA, Japan, Argentina etc. won't bother watching top international rugby matches which don't involve their team.

All rugby will likely end up on some form of subscription service and if it ends up being bundled in one service (one of the cheapest too with additional benefits) and our club get more money off the back of it I won't be complaining.

yeah cos amazon are well known for giving money away back willy nillyLOL

if people think amazon prime or any other pay as you go tv set up will get bigger crowds watching 6 nations rugby sides than free to air tv does they are wrong, it's as simple as that

Edited by RR1972 - 11 September 2020 at 2:36pm
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 3:00pm
Are we talking about the same Amazon that pays the UK exchequer peanuts in taxes?.  I'll try and avoid giving them my money.
Keep the faith
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 3:01pm

yeah cos amazon are well known for giving money away back willy nillyLOL

if people think amazon prime or any other pay as you go tv set up will get bigger crowds watching 6 nations rugby sides than free to air tv does they are wrong, it's as simple as that

It’ll be cheaper than going to the pub for each game. If it’s the only option people will pay it. It can’t be any worse than premier sports. If amazon get the PRO14 that would be great. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 3:23pm
Can pubs show live sport At mo? I forget under the new laws
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 3:28pm

Can pubs show live sport At mo? I forget under the new laws
Yes they can
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic