Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First ever game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First ever game.
    Posted: 13 September 2020 at 9:59am
What was the first Scarlets/ Llanelli game that you attended?. My first ever game was away in South Wales Police in 1983. It was a cup game..Grav was  still playing. Phil Davies was playing for South Wales Police , so too was  Nigel Whitehouse . We won the game convincingly  , I forget the exact score.  I don't remember exactly  my first match at  Stradey, but two big  cup games stand out..One was against Ponryppol   the other was a defeat to Aberavon. 11.10 , I believe with Ray Giles scoring a try  for the Wizards at the town end. 

Edited by LLANDRE - 13 September 2020 at 10:03am
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 10:15am
Llanelli v Australia 1975
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 11:15am
Sept 1968 - can’t remember the opposition but the aura of stradey was apparent immediately to me.  The furore of Barry John going to Cardiff was still angering everyone there. 
Benny was the superstar till he finished in April 1981.  What a player 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 4:59pm
Scarlets vs Border Reivers the now defunct 3rd scottish side 2005/6 season we put 50+ points on them i think 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Scarlets vs Border Reivers the now defunct 3rd scottish side 2005/6 season we put 50+ points on them i think 
Back in the days when we had Gareth Bowen at 10, Havili on the wing and Clive-Stuart Smith at scrum-half.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 5:32pm
Absolutely no idea. I was too young to recollect. It would have been around 73/74 or 74/75 season I expect. My first recollection of watching Llanelli play though was not at Stradey but one of many cup finals I attended, in 1976 when we beat the jacks. 
Scarlets before Wales
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Absolutely no idea. I was too young to recollect. It would have been around 73/74 or 74/75 season I expect. My first recollection of watching Llanelli play though was not at Stradey but one of many cup finals I attended, in 1976 when we beat the jacks. 

Living overseas and nearly every time only coming back every few years in the summer with the family, I rarely get to see them play live now. My last game attended was Shove's debut against the Kings. Confused
Scarlets before Wales
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Back in the days when we had Gareth Bowen at 10, Havili on the wing and Clive-Stuart Smith at scrum-half.
Heartbroken when Stephen Jones went to Clermont, but cometh the hour cometh the Mike Hercus. 
Ainremixed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ainremixed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 1:54am
My father took me to Stradey a couple of times in the late 50s. I don't remember the games, but Terry Davies and R.H.William were playing, both British Lions. It must have been a wrench for my father, because he watched from the Tanner Bank from the late 1930s to 1990, in between sessions in the Ranch (70s and 80s anyway)
Ainremixed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ainremixed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 1:57am
Sorry, R H Williams
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

What was the first Scarlets/ Llanelli game that you attended?. My first ever game was away in South Wales Police in 1983. It was a cup game..Grav was  still playing. Phil Davies was playing for South Wales Police , so too was  Nigel Whitehouse . We won the game convincingly  , I forget the exact score.  I don't remember exactly  my first match at  Stradey, but two big  cup games stand out..One was against Ponryppol   the other was a defeat to Aberavon. 11.10 , I believe with Ray Giles scoring a try  for the Wizards at the town end. 
I remember that game, always an interesting visit to Waterton Cross        
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Llanelli v Australia 1975
I remember seeing the game but I cant remember if it was my first. Around there somewhere as we had only just moved back from Southampton.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 12:48pm
Scarlets v NZ 1972....that game was my 1st.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 2:00pm

1968/69 season I think ?
Pentigili View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentigili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 3:09pm
Llanelli v Tonga 1974! Although I went to the final against Cardiff in 1973.

Edited by Pentigili - 14 September 2020 at 3:12pm
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 3:33pm
Early 60's no idea what match it was, I had a season ticket from around when I was 9 or 10, in  1963 or 64, but by then I was a regular.

I remember seeing Terry Davies play, and Ray Williams but that's about it. As I've previously said the first big game was New Zealand 1963, and I would have been 8.

My first international was a triple crown match v Ireland in 1965, no subs and Dick Uzzell left the field for 20 minutes, so Terry Price moved to centre and Alun Pask the No 8 to full back. I remember the Irish Try, and Terry's drop goal from around the 10 yard line in wet muddy conditions, memories just can't be bought in Tesco. 

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic