Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First ever game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llanfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 4:26pm
I remember sitting on the wall for a midweek game in 1963 and a nannouncement came over , that President Kennedy was assassinated.
I remember my Father talking to someone, say he was a good man!

Edited by llanfam - 14 September 2020 at 4:26pm
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 9:36am
llanfam, the match was against Waterloo, as I was in the stand, and they announced it on the tannoy, I was in the stand sitting next to my brother and asked him what assassinated meant. 
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 12:04pm
27 Apr 1985, National Stadium Llanelli 15-14 Cardiff

Went up on the train with a group of boys from the Dock a year or two older than me from Penyfon St and Florence St my dad gave me £10 and 4 cans of Foel with the calming words "dont embrass yourself or me!!" Great day out on the terrace an amazing day stood in the parcel carriage pulling out of Llanelli everyone singin, talking about the game etc absolute bliss
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

llanfam, the match was against Waterloo, as I was in the stand, and they announced it on the tannoy, I was in the stand sitting next to my brother and asked him what assassinated meant. 

Waterloo, Richmond, Orrel, Bedford, Moseley, Blackheath, Fylde, Rosslyn Park, Otley, Preston Grasshoppers, Coventry - old top English clubs of another era. Aah the memories. Remember watching these teams down Stradey and also on Rugby Special commentated by Nigel Starmer-Smith (a man who has had more than his fair share of personal heart ache - lost 2 of his 3 kids). Do you remember the theme music?

Edited by ScarletBear - 15 September 2020 at 6:15pm
Scarlets before Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Waterloo, Richmond, Orrel, Bedford, Moseley, Blackheath, Fylde, Rosslyn Park, Otley, Preston Grasshoppers, Coventry - old top English clubs of another era. Aah the memories. Remember watching these teams down Stradey and also on Rugby Special commentated by Nigel Starmer-Smith (a man who has had more than his fair share of personal heart ache - lost 2 of his 3 kids). Do you remember the theme music?

The theme tune
Scarlets before Wales
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

[QUOTE=Dai38]llanfam, the match was against Waterloo, as I was in the stand, and they announced it on the tannoy, I was in the stand sitting next to my brother and asked him what assassinated meant. 

Rugby special. Now you’re talking.  I’ve searched YouTube for Scarlet matches but unsuccessful.  The history with English teams was wonderful- top class matches and huge rivalries.  
Starmer-Smith did the Maori game of 82 and it was a blinder.  He did many more but for me that was special. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:53pm
I'm not sure of the year - I'd say 1959 or 1960 - but it was at Stradey v Aberavon, who won by something like 9-3 or 9-6.

I think one of our 'experts' posted a link not that long ago, to a site giving full results for the team, and I was able to trace the game from that - maybe (whoever) could help us out again, if we want to be more precise!

I remember the Wizards' centre Dai Thomas had a stormer (probably scored at least one try), and am pretty sure he had a cap or two for Wales. Can't be sure who was playing for the Scarlets that day, but definitely saw Onllwyn Brace (who had a few caps at scrum half) on one of my earliest visits.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:45pm
Llanelli Vs Neath 1988 Schweppes Cup Final. Stuffed them.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Llanelli Vs Neath 1988 Schweppes Cup Final. Stuffed them.

We did. Jonathon Davies getting threats before the game from the Welsh All Blacks - dicks.

They played us (in Stradey I think) the week before and tonked us - 50+ points. But it was our 2nd team. Oh how confident they (and my mate from Cimla) were for the final. LOL 

Scarlets before Wales
spirit of 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spirit of 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 4:47pm
Newport at Stradey. 6-6. Believe it or not, that was regarded as a good result.
Fairplay
spirit of 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spirit of 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 4:48pm
Should have added that the  Newport game was in 1966.
Fairplay
Dinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 6:59am
October 1973. West Wales v Japan. 
Some people are born stupid. Some need to practice
Gastric Band View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gastric Band Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 2:39pm
Not sure when, I think it was when I was six, so it would be about 1958. Yep, I know it was a long time ago!
My aunties would come back from Hull where they lived (there was no mention of the fact that they were two unmarried ladies living together) and they would take me to Stradey when they came down. They would go on about Terry Davies, so on the way to Stradey there was a big buildup about how well he would play.
When we got there found that Terry was injured. In my mind I'm not sure I ever saw Terry Davies play, always withdrew from the game.
Gastric
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic