Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team v Glasgow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2020 at 5:32pm
This is a fixture coming up that is the last we may see of the Internationals in tbe Pro14 season.

We need the best available team on the pitch and grind home a victory. It's going to be tough. Very tough. 

15. Leigh Halfpenny 
14. Tyler Morgan 
13. Foxy
12. Johnny Williams
11. Steff Evs
10. Rhys Patchell
9. Cawdor
8. Kalamafoni
7. Josh Macleod
6. Blade Thomson
5. Sam Lousi
4. Jake Ball
3. Samson Lee
2. Ken Owen
1. Wyn Jones

16. Ryan Elias
17. Rob Evans
18. Werner Kruger
19. Tex Ratuva
20. Uzair Cassiem
21. Kieran Hardy
22. Sam Costellow
23. Tom Rogers 
Sponsored Links

Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2020 at 9:46pm
Jacks seems to have not progressed the forwards at all.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 7:53am
Tyler Morgan is 10-15 kgs bigger than Steff and seriously quicker. In Johnny's absence and considering we were up against a big midfield should we have not considered selecting Tyler at 12? Glasgow will look to play a high tempo offloading game on their all weather track. If we don't get some pace into our team we are going to struggle. For sure our forwards could try to take theirs on especially with Samson returning but our inefficiency at driving lineouts takes away the biggest weapon of having a dominant 8. 
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 8:33am
Lose one game and the forum goes into meltdown! god help us if we lose Sunday!

Im sure we will see a response from the team on Sunday , have faith, it will be tough but nobody will be hurting more than the players for letting that lead slip
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Im sure we will see a response from the team on Sunday , have faith, it will be tough but nobody will be hurting more than the players for letting that lead slip
Three losses on the bounce at the start of the season and everyone wanted Pivac's head on a plate and look how that season turned out. LOL
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 9:08am
I think its the manner in which we lost. And the expectation that always surrounds season openers thats led to the reaction. We should have won.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Glasgow fans will be saying the same things, " I'm sure we will see a response from the team on Sunday" 😭
Keep the faith
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think its the manner in which we lost. And the expectation that always surrounds season openers thats led to the reaction. We should have won.
Yes we should have won but strangely the manner of the loss doesn't bother me because I think it's fixable.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 05 October 2020 at 9:21am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Tyler Morgan is 10-15 kgs bigger than Steff and seriously quicker. In Johnny's absence and considering we were up against a big midfield should we have not considered selecting Tyler at 12? Glasgow will look to play a high tempo offloading game on their all weather track. If we don't get some pace into our team we are going to struggle. For sure our forwards could try to take theirs on especially with Samson returning but our inefficiency at driving lineouts takes away the biggest weapon of having a dominant 8. 

Tough one re Tyler, clearly going to be part of the window team, but short of game time. Can play anywhere in the o/s backs, but he's clearly a 13 if everyone played their best position.
I was confused why he didn't come on last weekend, but heard he was carrying a minor knock.

Jonny W and Foxy to start but Tyler needs 20+ mins to stretch his legs.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Yes we should have won but strangely the manner of the loss doesn't bother me because I think it's fixable.

I wish I had your optimism Rob. Munster had a very limited gameplan yet scored 3 tries to nil - one of them from a lineout drive with 7 forwards. We gave away 13 points to nil playing 14 men. Of course everything is fixable but attack & defensively there is a huge amount of work to be done. My overriding feeling is that we have yet to work out our basic gameplan. All decent teams have their way of playing tweaking it to account for opposition, weather etc but they have that basic DNA. 

Our most success has come from an ability & desire to run, support & offload looking to get to the edges where clever wingers could use the space ably supported by a rangy back row forward ( Aaron/Blade/Kennedy) with turnover ball being expertly used. That DNA was ingrained into squad and coaches and put the fear of god into opposition teams - witness Munster in the 2017 final who knew what was coming but were powerless to stop it. Fast forward to today and that basic DNA seems lost in transit. The sooner it is found the better all round. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Tough one re Tyler, clearly going to be part of the window team, but short of game time. Can play anywhere in the o/s backs, but he's clearly a 13 if everyone played their best position.
I was confused why he didn't come on last weekend, but heard he was carrying a minor knock.

Jonny W and Foxy to start but Tyler needs 20+ mins to stretch his legs.

I agree Wil. I really hope for the lads sake that he can get a run of games. He is a real talent who at 24 is still young enough to fulfill his undoubted potential. Big & quick is a good combination to start with. Another lad who is desperate for minutes is Ryan Elias. Another with huge potential who could be sitting around in the Vale for weeks on end just training. The situation with regard to team bubbles and release back to clubs is not going to help the situation. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 10:40am
I fear for Elias, Ken himself was heading in the same way about a decade ago. Matthew Rees was a skipper and an ever present, Ken was 2nd choice and 2nd or 3rd choice hooker for Wales too.
Like Elias, he ended up playing a handful of games for us, and a token game against Samoa or some such for Wales.

It's time for prudent selection of Elias in my view, starting this weekend.

Investment in developing talent is easy when you win of course!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 10:53am

I fear for Elias, Ken himself was heading in the same way about a decade ago. Matthew Rees was a skipper and an ever present, Ken was 2nd choice and 2nd or 3rd choice hooker for Wales too.
Like Elias, he ended up playing a handful of games for us, and a token game against Samoa or some such for Wales.

Yes thats right Wil. Ryan has all the credentials to be a top top hooker. He is bigger and carries harder than Ken, who is no slouch by the way. His lineout work is probably not as reliable as Ken but he will learn at the coal face. A coach's job is difficult when trying to win and develop but that is the CV. Right now we have Ryan, Javan, Jac Morgan, Dan Davies, Ryan Conbeer, Osian & Tom Rogers who are pushing very hard for opportunities. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 10:57am
We have a group of legend players that is difficoult to leave out and seems to is stopping the development of others...we made talks about Elias from 2 or 3 years, but he finds with difficoult the starting shirt at 2...
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 10:58am

They have been subbing Elias on for Ken quite early in the second half over the past few games so it looks like they’re mindful of managing the game time of both of them. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 11:15am
Yes, good call actually. It's just the Wales piece that's the challenge. No doubt Elias will get called up, the amount of game time he will get is unclear.

We do have some decent hooker talent in the wings for the international window. Dafydd Hughes caught the eye last year . Taylor Davies too. Hope they get good game time, with Marc Jones covering.

Edited by Wil Chips - 05 October 2020 at 11:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic