Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team v Glasgow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

what do we think of the idea of a 6/2 split

having both cubby and Cassiem on the bench?

if we have AOB starting or on bench he can cover back 3 and cubby can also cover the wing (see la Rochelle)

Problem I see is we have Foxy who is just back from injury and no centre cover on the bench unless we can use Tom Rogers or indeed Cubby. Cubby for me would make a decent fist of playing at 13. I take it your gameplan involves really having a go at their pack. 
10.Patchell
11.Steff
12.Costello
13.Davies
14.Rogers
15.AOB
Watching Costello in the u20's,I was struck by his appetite for the tackle,something confirmed by Leicester fans-he coould possibly offer a great option as 12 outside an attacking 10.That selection would allow Morgan onto the bench alongside Asquith and the scrum-half.With a view to the coming months,I'd be tempted to put Patch at 15 and AOB at 10.
(I'm fully aware that this selection is very unlikely to resemble the coaches',but....better a fantasy than a nightmare..)

bit small for a 12 isn't he? I know he's brave but not sure hell be able to physically cope in that position

Have to say patchell at 15 would offer more in attack than halfpenny does

You may be right,but he has played there.
.About 12 or13 years ago I recall Gitteau(not a big man) and Cooper interchanging from 10 to 12 in Cardiff.They cut Wales to ribbons.
Gwyn Jones was always pushing for Patchell to play at 15,where he thought he was more suited.
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 2:20pm
A player tested positive for Covid who was not involved in the match day squad at the weekend 
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 2:20pm
Patchell at 15 would be like Goode at 15 for Saracens.

The problem being that we don’t have a Lions ten to play at fly-half while Patch is back there.
And we’d be dropping McNicholl to fit Halfpenny and Sanjay on the wings.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

Patchell at 15 would be like Goode at 15 for Saracens.

The problem being that we don’t have a Lions ten to play at fly-half while Patch is back there.
And we’d be dropping McNicholl to fit Halfpenny and Sanjay on the wings.

or we'd drop halfpenny all together and play sanjay / stef /jonny mac on the wings?

Iy won't  happen but would be interesting  to see how patch went at 15 , but when we have halfpenny and sanjay at 15 he won't be starting there
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 4:41pm
Rhys doesn't want to play 15. That is the whole reason he left the Blues. He is one of the best 10's in Wales and we have the two best 15's in Wales. Play them in their favoured positions I say. When all away with Wales I think Rogers and AOB will be given the chance.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 7:54pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 8:44am
Am I right in guessing that our team won't be out until tomorrow as the game is on Sunday?
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 9:24am

Rhys doesn't want to play 15. That is the whole reason he left the Blues. He is one of the best 10's in Wales and we have the two best 15's in Wales. Play them in their favoured positions I say. When all away with Wales I think Rogers and AOB will be given the chance.

This!
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Am I right in guessing that our team won't be out until tomorrow as the game is on Sunday?
Today
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 9:41am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Today

Ah great, thanks!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 9:42am

if we have AOB starting or on bench he can cover back 3 and cubby can also cover the wing (see la Rochelle)

Problem I see is we have Foxy who is just back from injury and no centre cover on the bench unless we can use Tom Rogers or indeed Cubby. Cubby for me would make a decent fist of playing at 13. I take it your gameplan involves really having a go at their pack. 
10.Patchell
11.Steff
12.Costello
13.Davies
14.Rogers
15.AOB
Watching Costello in the u20's,I was struck by his appetite for the tackle,something confirmed by Leicester fans-he coould possibly offer a great option as 12 outside an attacking 10.That selection would allow Morgan onto the bench alongside Asquith and the scrum-half.With a view to the coming months,I'd be tempted to put Patch at 15 and AOB at 10.
(I'm fully aware that this selection is very unlikely to resemble the coaches',but....better a fantasy than a nightmare..)

bit small for a 12 isn't he? I know he's brave but not sure hell be able to physically cope in that position

.About 12 or13 years ago I recall Gitteau(not a big man) and Cooper interchanging from 10 to 12 in Cardiff.They cut Wales to ribbons.
Gwyn Jones was always pushing for Patchell to play at 15,where he thought he was more suited.

Can't say I would agree with Gwyn Jones on that one. Rhys has a booming kicking game to which he has added accuracy. He has pace and wonderful distribution skills. He likes to play flat and with clever players alongside him at 12/13 can really unpick modern defences. His pace & willingness to take the direct option means that he holds oppostion midfield defences. In all an excellent International calibre 10. Of course when needs must a la Bath away in the Heineken he can step in at 15 & do a marvelous job. We have really missed his input since the World Cup. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 10:50am
Patchell big issue is his tackling, he is too upright and ends up taking a lot of bumps to the head

He has everything else needed to be a top class 10 and imo a top class 15 , 

Wales have two very good 15;s (though granted they are both getting on)  so we need a 10 more,  Biggar won't last much longer and patchell is the next cab of the rank, evans and sheedy are the next two behind him and then the young guns like Costello and Lloyd will be coming to push a claim.

This welsh team is creaking towards the next world cup and either before or certainly directly after it we will see 7/8 starting players needed to be replaced

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 1:24pm

Patchell big issue is his tackling, he is too upright and ends up taking a lot of bumps to the head

Wales have two very good 15;s (though granted they are both getting on)  so we need a 10 more,  Biggar won't last much longer and patchell is the next cab of the rank, evans and sheedy are the next two behind him and then the young guns like Costello and Lloyd will be coming to push a claim.

This welsh team is creaking towards the next world cup and either before or certainly directly after it we will see 7/8 starting players needed to be replaced

Biggar is only 29 ish isn’t he ? 🤔 been around for years and fair play to him . Always 100% guy
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Biggar is only 29 ish isn’t he ? 🤔 been around for years and fair play to him . Always 100% guy

31 next week. As much as I used to detest him playing for the Ospreys, he is a fearless 10.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 2:12pm

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

31 next week. As much as I used to detest him playing for the Ospreys, he is a fearless 10.
Diolch- he’s knocking on a bit then 😉  
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2020 at 7:27pm

10.Patchell
11.Steff
12.Costello
13.Davies
14.Rogers
15.AOB

Can't say I would agree with Gwyn Jones on that one. Rhys has a booming kicking game to which he has added accuracy. He has pace and wonderful distribution skills. He likes to play flat and with clever players alongside him at 12/13 can really unpick modern defences. His pace & willingness to take the direct option means that he holds oppostion midfield defences. In all an excellent International calibre 10. Of course when needs must a la Bath away in the Heineken he can step in at 15 & do a marvelous job. We have really missed his input since the World Cup. 

I am about 55/45 in favour of the FB slot being Patch's best position. Yet 10 is the more difficult role and he is international level. That is where we need him most.
Scarlets before Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic