Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs Glasgow (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 12:49pm
I'd say its a shoot out at 8 as we only have 2 in the squad really before we go down to Tuipolotu. Cass is nowhere near as effective as a 6 in my opinion.  
Sponsored Links

Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 12:50pm
If i was coach id have kala start then cass come on around 65 mins and take turns over who starts and who benches 

But then again ive never coached or been in a professional sports environment 

I just hope we can keep all our talent happy
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

It's interesting to me (and I'm only interested in actual well-considered rugby debate, not [beep]ging players off) that no-one responded to my comment about Kalamafoni's carrying ability (as displayed so far). A post I read on a different rugby site always stuck with me... that he had the most carries in the premiership but didn't make many metres. I'm sorry, I can't remember the source. He's got a great appetite for it, but it doesn't seem to translate into busting tackles IMHO. I haven't seen him get any more yards on average than Cassiem, and the latter has the advantage of being more impressive in open field in my opinion. 

I think Kalamafoni is a really good player don't get me wrong, and yes I'm in the Cassiem camp (I never made him public enemy no1 for me, I always thought you could see the effort and ability he had but it never quite clicked - turns out a broken bone was something to do with that...) just would like some more rotation based on pitch/weather. 

It's interesting to see teams like Bristol bench Sinckler today for a semi-final - that's strength in depth, but also shows that to get that depth you have to rotate. I guess the trick is to rotate enough to build depth but not too much to wreck team growth and momentum.

For me,selection seems to be an indication of the kind of game the coaches wish to play.A rigid game-plan,based upon exerting pressure,with a huge emphasis on kicking.This kind of rugby does not favour the selection of players called,in Australia,"coach-killers":players capable of doing the unexpected,deviating from the game-plan to play instinctively.You are spot on re.Cassiem and Kalamafoni-there's nothing to choose between the 2 in terms of hard yards....but which player  is more likely to stick to the plan?

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 10 October 2020 at 1:10pm
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

If i was coach id have kala start then cass come on around 65 mins and take turns over who starts and who benches 

But then again ive never coached or been in a professional sports environment 

I just hope we can keep all our talent happy
Don’t worry neither has anyone else on this forum so don’t be bashful 😉😂
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:05pm
Think people may be reading too much into things he has to balance squads in relation to intls Cassiem will be huge for us as player and leader when the intls are on. 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Raised By Peregos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:03pm
He will be, so to not five him any minutes, even off the bench, in the three big games preceding the international window seems strange, no?
Raised By Peregos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:04pm
*give sorry
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Think people may be reading too much into things he has to balance squads in relation to intls Cassiem will be huge for us as player and leader when the intls are on. 

Maybe so but after a poor show by Cubby when he came on, you do wonder about selection decisions. But in fairness we dont see the midweek training
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

He will be, so to not five him any minutes, even off the bench, in the three big games preceding the international window seems strange, no?
Clap
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 8:39am
Hughes over Tyler and Asquith Confused
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Hughes over Tyler and Asquith Confused

People seem to have a real downer on Steff Hughes , maybe not the quickest but in my view a clever player who can also play 10 and 15 as well as centre so a good bench option from that point of view. 
I know we already have Patchell on the bench who can also play 10 and 15 and in some ways is more effective at 15 but he has hardly played and looked a bit rusty last week and not sure he could fill in at centre as well as Steff H.
That's only my opinion mind and sure others will disagree 
saundersfoot scarlets
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:18am
Asquith's opportunities have,since his arrival,largely been confined to a place on the bench.He has never disappointed,and his contributions have always been positive and often decisive.As an impact player,probably among the very best in the business.I don 't think many would argue against him being given a crack in the starting line-up,but I can't for the life of me understand why he's excluded from bench duty.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:49am
  I would have had Tyler, Asquith or Conibeer on bench , pacey or creative players .

Some of the match day selections , are baffling, and to many myself included  strange .

Let's hope we will see a more complete performance today and a win to boot!
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Asquith's opportunities have,since his arrival,largely been confined to a place on the bench.He has never disappointed,and his contributions have always been positive and often decisive.As an impact player,probably among the very best in the business.I don 't think many would argue against him being given a crack in the starting line-up,but I can't for the life of me understand why he's excluded from bench duty.
I would have Asquith or Morgan, even though he’s a 13, on the bench ahead of Hughes every day. The only consideration to take is defence. Maybe having Hughes outside of Dinky is the safer option? 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I would have had Tyler, Asquith or Conibeer on bench , pacey or creative players .

Some of the match day selections , are baffling, and to many myself included  strange .

Let's hope we will see a more complete performance today and a win to boot!

You can't take much for granted in life at all these days,but one thing is certain:whatever our misgivings,whatever our criticisms,we all want to see the Scarlets win....so get out and play this Glasgow bunch off the park
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I would have Asquith or Morgan, even though he’s a 13, on the bench ahead of Hughes every day. The only consideration to take is defence. Maybe having Hughes outside of Dinky is the safer option? 
Hughes also has a better short kicking game and has been lauded as a good communicator and leader. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic