Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team vs Benetton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I think Kalamafoni is undroppable as the only guy in the pack, and Halfpenny aside, the only player on the pitch getting over the gain line. If he doesn't start, we need him on the bench in my opinion. Jac Morgan has been named by both Mooar and Delaney to kick in both believing he has a huge future in the game. Let's also not forget he has been captain of all teams he has played in, even the captain v Ospreys couple of weeks back. I don't think it shows that they are forward orientated. But let's be honest, we need a forward game plan. It's somethi g that has held us back for years having not a plan b for want of a better phrase. We can chuck it about. We can attack. But developing a forward game on top of that is what we need. And perhaps what we are doing. Look at leinster for example. If they need a forward orientated game, they have one. But that's aided by good attacking play as well. We need both and I'm happy to see we are trying to develop that area. Our maul under Kelly is already showing signs of big improvement in only 4 games. Early days but it's something we certainly need in our armour. 

For sure having a forward based game is a must for the occasions where weather and red zone attacking lineouts are concerned. However if we are intent on developing that part of our game why have we forgotten how to pass and attack.

I also have to disagree with you with regard to our lineout. It is appalling & has been for at least 3/4 years
I didn't mention our line out... I though Elias had a poor day throwing. Not all on him though I know. Don't get me wrong there's plenty to work on. And a new forwards coach isn't going to get things right straight away. I'm just seeing progress with a driving maul and a pack beginning to be a pack. As I said, still early days. But definitely an area we need.
I agree the skills recently. 

Yes you are right it is early. Richard Kelly made a name for himself in the Premiership by getting a pack playing like a pack - an 8 man team if you like. I really hope he succeeds because that has been a weak area for us over the years. However I do get a feeling that this coaching ticket have decided to give more emphasis to tight forward exchanges at the expense of our all court attacking game. 

Nobody would be happier if we develop a pack that can take advantage of red zone chances whether they are driving lineouts or pick and go attacks but not at the expense of our historic attacking ambitions. 

I also think there are signs of improvement in the pack,but have been surprised that Lousi has not become the main line-out option(there could be reasons I haven't noticed,but he was primarily a line-out fwd before coming to Llanelli.)However,if it is the coaches' intention to play an attritional,forward dominated mode of rugby,the club will need to spend a lot more to win any silver-ware that way.

Lousi, if I am correct, came from League so lineout play was something he was working on in NZ prior to him signing for us. He, like Tex & Blade, were good fits for our long standing style of play - all good in the loose with good hands & offloading. Tex & Sam have had their problems with discipline so they are going to have to improve in that area. However, as you rightly point out, they are not the personnel who can make us serial winners in attritional forward oriented games. 
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 1:07pm

The make up of our back row will depend on our lineout. Without Aaron Blade fits the go to athlete for us but it didn't work against Glasgow. I worry that all the verbal hype surrounding Jac Morgan from our coaches really show us the way they are thinking. Forward oriented. For all his many gifts he is not the 7 I see as a Scarlet 7 - good at the breakdown but also be capable of playing comfortably in the channels. 

If you play 2 of Morgan, Cubby or Dan Davies then Casseim must start at 8 for his good lineout work in my opinion. I think Tex will be available for Benetton game & I also think that Pivac has earmarked Liam for that game. so here would be my team :-

15. Rogers 14. Steff 13. Tyler 12. Asquith 11. Conbeer 10. AOB 9. Blacker
1. Rob 2. Taylor 3. Javan 4. Rawlins 5. Helps 6. Kennedy 7. Cubby (Captain)8. Casseim

16. Daf Hughes 17. Price 18. Werner 19. Drake 20. Dan Davies 21. Homer 22. Dan 23. Steff Hughes. 

My team is selected to play high tempo running rugby not to get into an arm wrestle with big Italian units. 

No Kalamafoni against a big pack like Benetton? 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 1:12pm
Kalamafoni's stats are incredible. He made 32 tackles against Glasgow, and 27 carries for 77 metres.

He's probably the first name on the team sheet at the moment. The coaches see Cassiem as an out and out Number 8, which is why he's not being selected. 

Richard Kelly said last night that the lineout system against Glasgow was impacted by losing Lousi, and that it had been better against Munster.

Checking the stats, we had a 75% lineout success against Munster, and 88% against Glasgow!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Kalamafoni's stats are incredible. He made 32 tackles against Glasgow, and 27 carries for 77 metres.

He's probably the first name on the team sheet at the moment. The coaches see Cassiem as an out and out Number 8, which is why he's not being selected. 

Richard Kelly said last night that the lineout system against Glasgow was impacted by losing Lousi, and that it had been better against Munster.

Checking the stats, we had a 75% lineout success against Munster, and 88% against Glasgow!

Kelly is clutching at straws. Our lineout 1st half on Sunday was worse than with 14 men 2nd half. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The make up of our back row will depend on our lineout. Without Aaron Blade fits the go to athlete for us but it didn't work against Glasgow. I worry that all the verbal hype surrounding Jac Morgan from our coaches really show us the way they are thinking. Forward oriented. For all his many gifts he is not the 7 I see as a Scarlet 7 - good at the breakdown but also be capable of playing comfortably in the channels. 

If you play 2 of Morgan, Cubby or Dan Davies then Casseim must start at 8 for his good lineout work in my opinion. I think Tex will be available for Benetton game & I also think that Pivac has earmarked Liam for that game. so here would be my team :-

15. Rogers 14. Steff 13. Tyler 12. Asquith 11. Conbeer 10. AOB 9. Blacker
1. Rob 2. Taylor 3. Javan 4. Rawlins 5. Helps 6. Kennedy 7. Cubby (Captain)8. Casseim

16. Daf Hughes 17. Price 18. Werner 19. Drake 20. Dan Davies 21. Homer 22. Dan 23. Steff Hughes. 

My team is selected to play high tempo running rugby not to get into an arm wrestle with big Italian units. 

No Kalamafoni against a big pack like Benetton? 

2 reasons Stef - Sione is doing a hell of a lot of work so some rotation & Casseim is more suited to my idea of a fast open game looking to run around them not through. 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 4:08pm
I'd go for-

1. Rob
2. Taylor
3. Javan
4. Tex (if available)
5. Rawlins
6. Cassiem
7. Morgan
8. Kalamafoni
9. Blacker
10 AOB
11 Conbeer
12 Steff H
13 Tyler
14 Steff E
15 Asquith

16 Daf Hughes
17 Price
18 Werner
19 Kennedy
20 Cubby
21 Homer
22 Costelow
23 Rogers
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 4:42pm
Need Dan at flyhalf.  Can't go to Treviso with a pair of hafbacks that have never played together in a league game.
Keep the faith
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 1:02pm
Having watched a highly encouraging display on Friday I would change my selection to the following :-

15. Prydie 14. Rogers 13. Tyler 12. Asquith 11. Steff 10 Costellow 9. Homer 
1. Rob 2. Marc 3. Javan 4. Tex 5. Rawlins 6. Kennedy 7. Jac (C) 8. Casseim

16. Taylor 17. Price 18. Werner 19. Helps 20. Dan Davis 21. Blacker 22. AOB 23. Steff Hughes. 
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 1:18pm
Yes after a good hit out yesterday, its fair to say a few changes could come in for next weekend and forthcoming Pro 14 fixtures. 

15 Prydie 14 Rogers 13 Morgan 12 Asquith 11 Evans 10 O'Brien 9 Homer 
1 Evans 2 Jones 3 Sebastian 4 Ratuva 5 Rawlins 6 Kennedy 7 Morgan (C) 8 Kalamafoni

16 Davies 17 Price 18 Kruger 19 Helps 20 Cassiem 21 Blacker 22 Costellow 23 Hughes. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 2:20pm
Do we have Tex for this fixture?
Thought Morgan Jones went very well with Tex. Big and physical. I'd have him bench instead of Helps personally.

I thought Mathias and OConnor showed up well too which is encouraging moving forward as we need a loose and tighthead. 
Any news on conbeer? Seemed to have been limping off. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Yes after a good hit out yesterday, its fair to say a few changes could come in for next weekend and forthcoming Pro 14 fixtures. 

15 Prydie 14 Rogers 13 Morgan 12 Asquith 11 Evans 10 O'Brien 9 Homer 
1 Evans 2 Jones 3 Sebastian 4 Ratuva 5 Rawlins 6 Kennedy 7 Morgan (C) 8 Kalamafoni

16 Davies 17 Price 18 Kruger 19 Helps 20 Cassiem 21 Blacker 22 Costellow 23 Hughes. 
This would be my team also. 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 4:43pm

15 Prydie 14 Rogers 13 Morgan 12 Steff Hughes (C) 11 Evans 10 O'Brien 9 Homer
1 Evans 2 Jones 3 Sebastian 4 Ratuva 5 Rawlins 6 Cassiem 7 Morgan (C) 8 Kalamafoni

16.Taylor 17 Price 18 Kruger 19 Kennedy 20 Dan Davis 21 Blacker 22 Costellow 23 Asquith.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 5:36pm
Treviso released Ioane, Favretto and Pettinelli for friday match
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 8:34pm
After the last few games, including a good run out against the dragons, there is clear competition for places. This is a very big game for us and Benneton will be a tough team out there.

Most importantly we need to find out mojo. Clearly absent in the first two league games. I though Gus played really well at 10 on Friday. He challenged the line on regular occasions and at least fixed the defence. He also had options coming off him as he was taking it up to the line, which will cause most defences problems.

Prydie at full back looked really good and both Tyler and Asquith deserve another run out together again.

I would go for
15 Prydie
14 Conbeer
13 Tyler
12 Asquith 
11 Steff
10 Angus
9 Homer
8 Kalamafoni 
7 Jack Morgan
6 Kennedy
5 Rawlings
4 Tax
3 Hagan
2 Marc
1 Rob

Subs: Phil, Taylor, Kruger, Helps, Cassiem, Dan Jones, Steff Hughes and Rogers
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 8:38pm
Who are Tax and Hagan????? 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Who are Tax and Hagan????? 

Tex & Javan? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic