Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lineout throwing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lineout throwing.
    Posted: 14 October 2020 at 9:01am
One of the key issues arising from the weekend's games involving Welsh regions was a general inability of throwers to find their men. The worst culprits - Parry, Ken & Ryan happen to be the 3 in the Welsh squad. What is going on? Is it rocket science? 

I can't believe that because when I see George and Cowan-Dickie throwing it seems pretty metronomical. Our lineout work at the Scarlets without Aaron is probably our worst feature and has cost us more matches than anything else in the past 3/4 seasons. What can we do about this national malaise? Anyone with experience at the coal face got any ideas? 
Sponsored Links

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 9:39am
Some of our lineouts against Glasgow, particularly close to their lie, was like watching grass routes level.....it was chaos! Shocked
Scarlets!!!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 9:59am
Rich Kelly leads on this technically doesn’t he ? Yes Shings is a superb and athletic line out man who we do miss, although let’s face it, the current team jumpers aren’t novices and neither are the hookers throwing in 🤨
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

One of the key issues arising from the weekend's games involving Welsh regions was a general inability of throwers to find their men. The worst culprits - Parry, Ken & Ryan happen to be the 3 in the Welsh squad. What is going on? Is it rocket science? 

I can't believe that because when I see George and Cowan-Dickie throwing it seems pretty metronomical. Our lineout work at the Scarlets without Aaron is probably our worst feature and has cost us more matches than anything else in the past 3/4 seasons. What can we do about this national malaise? Anyone with experience at the coal face got any ideas? 
Both George and Cowan-Dickie aren’t the best lineout throwers either...
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 10:09am
Well Glasgow did their homework on us, they booted the ball off the paddock knowing they had a decent chance of disrupting our lineout if not winning it. This makes me think we are incredibly predictable in this aspect of our game.

I'm no expert but Glasgow seemed to be walking in, setting for a millisecond then going where as we would set, do a funny little shuffle of players & then go. We tried the Glasgow approach, as a lower league club last season (God that seems a long time ago!!!) & we had a lot more success as opposed to coming in & getting set then chucking in. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 10:20am
Wilson had our number - he also said pre match that we kick more than most - now that is a label I do not covet for my team. Lets get back to the days when if you kicked badly to us you were in deep poo. Wilson was also clever in his own lineout opting to bypass our one real threat - Blade by throwing most of the early throws short to the 1st man. Secure possession being the main aim as his team built into the game & saw us react as he had planned for by giving his team plenty of ball. 

Coaches are meant to analyse the opposition and it worries me when I hear Delaney when quizzed before a game saying they have concentrated on their own team - why??? Analysis of opposition attacking & defensive formations particularly off 1st phase is an absolute must. 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I've got plenty of experience of the coal face but I can't recall any lineout throwing taking place there.😁😁
Keep the faith
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 10:42am
We do certainly seem to over-complicate things with the 'mini shuffle' - why complicate it when we know we don't have the best functioning lineout in the world? Get it in, get it out and let's play rugby, simple!

I notice that before every lineout of ours the players have a little huddle, then one of the props goes to instruct the hooker what the call is. I have no idea whether this is the norm or whether with other teams it is the hooker who normally chooses the call? Would it be likely to make any difference to the success of our lineouts if the hooker made the call that he's feeling comfortable with rather than the other way round?
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 11:26am
I think its more that teams know we are hopeless in the lineout so they compete every time. Ive noticed how some teams rarely have competition and hence win their ball cleaner. I think a lot of it may be that teams dont fear our rolling maul hence seem happy to compete, teams like Exeter with their fearsome rolling maul make teams stay down ready to defend.

Edited by supertaf - 14 October 2020 at 11:27am
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 2:04pm
Against toulon and against munster it was far better than it had been. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic