Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Benetton v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 11:41am
Look at the bright side, we didn't pay to go to the match.
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Turkpower Turkpower wrote:

Look at the bright side, we didn't pay to go to the match.
Mr.Ian paid,poor bugger....Cry

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 24 October 2020 at 11:50am
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:01pm
One thing is for sure is that asquith is our most creative player and he has to start,if foxy was available yesterday  asquith probably wouldn't have been on the bench,find our best available 15 and STICK to them to create some continuity.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:08pm
By somewhat of a contrast, watched the first 30 minutes of Leinster 2nd/3rd team against Zebre.  Loads of errors to start with, but what pace the game was played at!  Forwards really fast to the breakdown, very quickly recycled ball, Zebre didn't know what hit them.  Such intensity and speed of play.  Inevitable early mistakes, dropped passes etc, probably due to unfamiliar combinations, but what a production line of keen, skilful, young development players.  Not much incisive play by the backs early on, but the forwards were as keen as mustard.  Must watch the second half.
Joshua24:15
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:12pm
I agree with most of what’s been posted here but the one thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is our lack of accuracy with the ball. Every time we had the ball there was a pass behind the player or a knock on or some other mistake. That then costs us any momentum and perhaps forces us to play an even more defensive gameplan. My hope is that the lack of accuracy is a symptom of the lack of confidence and the players then forcing moves and that it will improve now we’ve had our first win. Unfortunately I worry that it’s a bigger problem than confidence and that it will linger throughout our season.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I have had my doubts about this coaching ticket for sometime and have been criticised for commenting. I knew at 2005 hours what type of game we were in for once Delaney said that whoever kicked better would win. What followed for most of the first 65 minutes was utter dross. The communication between 9/10/& 12 was non existent. I absolve the outside backs - 11, 13, 14 & 15 of any criticism. 

What Scarlet/Llanelli team in history has gone into a game with an attack plan of kicking away all possession to the opposition? That plan is devised by a well paid coaching group. Delaney hasn't lost the plot he never had it in the first place. 

I am struggling to find too many positives but the scrum was powerful, Blade, I thought, was head and shoulders the best player on the field. Asquith did what he always does - look for width with ambition. His pass to Tyler and support line and pass back from Tyler made a total mockery of the efforts by 9/10/12 before.

I thought Morgan Jones showed up well & was a little unlucky to see red not yellow. Blacker had a bad game & Homer should have been introduced at half time for my money. AOB is playing a game under orders which is foreign to him & he was good under the high ball & showed great pace and commitment to regain possession from his chip ahead which led to the try.

We are starting to look light at hooker and 2nd row. Is Daf Hughes fit? What has happened to Rawlins? I assume, if Morgan gets 2/3 games that we will have Kalamafoni, Rawlins, Jac Price, Danny Drake & Kennedy who can fit in. Without Blade's excellence at lineout time that is going to be an area of concern. Hopefully we can get a couple more games out of Blade & Tex before they go off to camps. 

What odds that we will get the usual line from the coaching group " we have plenty of learnings and things to work on" garbage. Franks and Kelly appear to be the only coaches earning their money at the moment. In all seriousness is anyone going to tell me that Dai Young, Mark Jones or Tulip would be any worse than the other three? 

Talking about playing with heads up and ambition is one thing, coaching it and giving the players the confidence to own that ambition is another thing altogether. 

I was with you then until you said Tulip please please no 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

By somewhat of a contrast, watched the first 30 minutes of Leinster 2nd/3rd team against Zebre.  Loads of errors to start with, but what pace the game was played at!  Forwards really fast to the breakdown, very quickly recycled ball, Zebre didn't know what hit them.  Such intensity and speed of play.  Inevitable early mistakes, dropped passes etc, probably due to unfamiliar combinations, but what a production line of keen, skilful, young development players.  Not much incisive play by the backs early on, but the forwards were as keen as mustard.  Must watch the second half.
Leinster's 2nd string (if you can call them that) are always going to beat Zebra's 2nd string.  They will put away most of the Pro 14 first teams also.
They just keep producing talent, very jealous.
Keep the faith
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:39pm
It's not just the retaining of academy players and the quality of foreign imports that the Irish provinces have. It's the coaching. Look at who the top 2 Irish provinces have brought in to currently coach them:

Stuart Lancaster
Felipe Contempomi
Robin McBryde
Johan Vaan Graahn
Stephen Larkham
Graham Rowntree

And that's only spread across 2 teams.

That is a world class group of coaching personnel. We don't have anywhere near that level of funding for that quality, or probably can't even persuade them to join even if we did.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

I agree with most of what’s been posted here but the one thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is our lack of accuracy with the ball. Every time we had the ball there was a pass behind the player or a knock on or some other mistake. That then costs us any momentum and perhaps forces us to play an even more defensive gameplan. My hope is that the lack of accuracy is a symptom of the lack of confidence and the players then forcing moves and that it will improve now we’ve had our first win. Unfortunately I worry that it’s a bigger problem than confidence and that it will linger throughout our season.

I don't think our chaotic passing was just due to lack of confidence but because our ball was so slow in arriving and Treviso had a pretty sharp blitz defence, their tacklers were arriving at the same time as the ball and there was a real chance of interceptions so it was very difficult to place the ball into the optimum catching position. True, instead of panicking, it would have been better to catch the ball safely and accept the tackle - that is until we worked out ways of playing that avoids receiving the tackler and ball together.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Personally, I believe that Asquith is seriously under used and is a gem of a player.  I’m sorry to say but in my view Steff Hughes isn’t up to it - I’d put paul ahead of him all the time .  Handling errors last night were shocking . Positional play was questionable - particularly when we had a try almost there but Dane for some reason was ahead of Steff evans. 

Hughes is a 13 playing at 12 in my opinion. WE don't really have a backup option for 12, which is a worry. Could try Asquith but again he's more of a three quarter. We've replaced Parkes with another decent player who's lost to test rugby.

Having said that, the plan seems to be for the 12 to look for contact alot, so I'm not sure it would change anything if we had a footballing 12 anyway.

I think the 12/13 debates gravitates back to the captaincy.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:05pm

It's not just the retaining of academy players and the quality of foreign imports that the Irish provinces have. It's the coaching. Look at who the top 2 Irish provinces have brought in to currently coach them:

Stuart Lancaster
Felipe Contempomi
Robin McBryde
Johan Vaan Graahn
Stephen Larkham
Graham Rowntree

That is a world class group of coaching personnel. We don't have anywhere near that level of funding for that quality, or probably can't even persuade them to join even if we did.
spot on. 
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:11pm
As much as I liked Brad and his infectious nature and efforts to immerse himself in the locality, I didn't see anything he did to improve the players individually or as a team last season. In fact I believe they went backwards in style under him compared to Pivac and were poor last year.. good to see Delaney keeping up his good work !!!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

As much as I liked Brad and his infectious nature and efforts to immerse himself in the locality, I didn't see anything he did to improve the players individually or as a team last season. In fact I believe they went backwards in style under him compared to Pivac and were poor last year.. good to see Delaney keeping up his good work !!!
We all loved the chat and smiles and endless positivity of Brad. 

However, it rarely varied and I got the feeling that the talk was detached from the substance delivered in the pitch.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d have preferred him to stay than head to NZ. However, I’d rather someone run the show with less polish in front of the cameras than substance, style and results delivered on the pitch.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 4:21pm

Stuart Lancaster
Felipe Contempomi
Robin McBryde
Johan Vaan Graahn
Stephen Larkham
Graham Rowntree

We are in the top four highest playing budgets in the Pro14...
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Captain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 6:40pm
We are not in top 4 for budgets in pro 14. all the Irish and Scottish are above us

Edited by Captain - 24 October 2020 at 6:41pm
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

We are not in top 4 for budgets in pro 14. all the Irish and Scottish are above us

That is not true anymore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic