Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets side to face Connacht

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 12:26pm
I have to agree that unless the penalty is someone losing their bind right in front of the referee i have little to no clue as to the basis of how a decision is made. It’s rugby unions biggest flaw at the moment. I would ultimately like to see no more than 1 reset per scrum or a rugby league style clock’s on.

Edited by EJPT - 14 November 2020 at 12:27pm
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 1:02pm
I can’t understand why referees don’t just let the scrum go down and let the scrum half just get the ball away, after all they still have the advantage of having the ball.  I know some referees often do this when they have had enough of reset after reset. 
It would also help to improve the game as a spectacle (in theory anyway) by having more ball in play time).
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 2:13pm
Going to be a very tough fixture v a fully loaded connacht. 

Edited by PE SA - 14 November 2020 at 2:14pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 2:21pm
Scrum parity is the start point for our hopes tonight.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Scrum parity is the start point for our hopes tonight.
very true. Get that, and hopefully we can stay in touch through the game. All on that though. Great to see Daf Hughes back involved. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

I can’t understand why referees don’t just let the scrum go down and let the scrum half just get the ball away, after all they still have the advantage of having the ball.  I know some referees often do this when they have had enough of reset after reset. 
It would also help to improve the game as a spectacle (in theory anyway) by having more ball in play time).
Indeed. Scrums are killing the game for spectators 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 3:41pm

Interestingly this is exactly what the ref did in the Italy v Scotland game.

Nearly every scrum went down, but rather than adjudicate who was at fault, he told the SH to play it if the ball was at the back of the scrum.

Made the game flow better of course.

saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 5:14pm

Nearly every scrum went down, but rather than adjudicate who was at fault, he told the SH to play it if the ball was at the back of the scrum.

I thought the ref , Luke Pierce I think , was very good , have seen him quite a few times and he seems to control it well without whistling for every minor thing.

saundersfoot scarlets
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 5:30pm

It so frustrates me when they don't do this. The scrum is a restart. If the dominant side has the ball, and there's no risk to safety, then tell them to use it FFS.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by saundersfootscarlets saundersfootscarlets wrote:

I thought the ref , Luke Pierce I think , was very good , have seen him quite a few times and he seems to control it well without whistling for every minor thing.

Great ref is Luke and a top man👍 Done some great reffing in our games in the past. Pontypool boy isn’t he? 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 6:52pm
Yeah I thought Pearce is the best ref in the world for some time now. Asks all the right tmo questions. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 6:55pm
what channel is this on pls?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 7:13pm
Premier 2
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2020 at 7:14pm
Excuse me if I don’t join in the Luke Pearce “Appreciation Society”.

Now, I do think he is one of the top tier of referees in the world. He had a very good World Cup and is now much more confident to stand on his own feet and trust his judgment, where has has clear views of things. Where he doesn’t, he now asks the right questions and knows who to trust in the TMO truck.

In the past, I’ve found him not particularly helpful when we have been playing.

Overall, he’s recently reached the top tier, IMO which is far from negotiable currency. I think he will inherit Wayne Barnes’s crown as the best/most accurate ref in the world, if not so good at comedy as Nigel nor for an end to end flow-fest as he is.

He is indisputably the best at not ageing. He still looks young enough to have his age checked in the pub and hasn’t really changed in many years.

Good on him for developing his game and player management. Hopefully, there’s still more to come.

The referee development curve is this difficult. With so much scrutiny from so many angles and so many speeds super slo-mo etc, it’s a very tough gig when the expectation is perfection from all officials, no matter what level.

Then, when it’s not consistent......

Edited by Eastern outpost - 14 November 2020 at 7:21pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic