Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connacht v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 8:51am
So so much better than before. It's all been said above but Asquith suddenly has become very important to us. Watching Wales and the Scarlets has been similarly tedious this season with both teams having no ideas how to do anything to break a defence. The departure of Hadleigh has left a massive hole because he could read a defence and exploit its weakness. Last night showed Asquith at his best. He has to be the fulcrum around which our attack revolves.
Sponsored Links

Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Would be nice if the commentary team had a Welsh presence to counter the Irish perspective.
I thought the commentary was ok. Premier Sports obviously didn't fancy sending some pundits out to Galway on a wet and windy night, either that or no one would go, and it was far better for it.  No constant, cliched talk from pundits every time the commentator paused for breath.  He said his bit and yes there were periods of wonderful silence where we heard the ref and on field chat.

Credit to the ref as well.  He had an excellent game.  Clear and consistent, he wanted a gap in the lineout, he set the defending 1 and got the rest lined off him, the throwing side told to get their players in quicker.  Scrum time he told the props what he wanted and was encouraging rather than guessing and giving penalties.  Best of all he was calling 'use it' to the 9's far quicker than any ref I've seen, very refreshing not to see the ball spending 15 seconds being fed back along the 'caterpillar'.

Despite the weather and resulting mistakes this was the most enjoyable game I've seen all season from any team.  Good ref and limited commentary and a performance from us worthy of the name.  Good commitment all round after dire performances all season.  The were highly visible performers tonight but after a lot of stick last well I though Sebastian showed up well quietly tonight.  Solid scrum and some very deft touches with ball in hand.  Much better discipline all round too.

Too early to say we're on the up, we have a horrible few weeks to come fixture wise but now at least there's hope.
Yes, I agree with all of that. The commentary as you say was ok; it wasn't biased but I enjoy the game more if the commentary can focus at least 50/50 on both teams.  Mind you, I probably enjoy it more if it's totally Welsh focused but that wouldn't be fair either. Smile 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Would be nice if the commentary team had a Welsh presence to counter the Irish perspective.
I thought the commentary was ok. Premier Sports obviously didn't fancy sending some pundits out to Galway on a wet and windy night, either that or no one would go, and it was far better for it.  No constant, cliched talk from pundits every time the commentator paused for breath.  He said his bit and yes there were periods of wonderful silence where we heard the ref and on field chat.

Credit to the ref as well.  He had an excellent game.  Clear and consistent, he wanted a gap in the lineout, he set the defending 1 and got the rest lined off him, the throwing side told to get their players in quicker.  Scrum time he told the props what he wanted and was encouraging rather than guessing and giving penalties.  Best of all he was calling 'use it' to the 9's far quicker than any ref I've seen, very refreshing not to see the ball spending 15 seconds being fed back along the 'caterpillar'.

Despite the weather and resulting mistakes this was the most enjoyable game I've seen all season from any team.  Good ref and limited commentary and a performance from us worthy of the name.  Good commitment all round after dire performances all season.  The were highly visible performers tonight but after a lot of stick last well I though Sebastian showed up well quietly tonight.  Solid scrum and some very deft touches with ball in hand.  Much better discipline all round too.

Too early to say we're on the up, we have a horrible few weeks to come fixture wise but now at least there's hope.
Yes I agree with all of that.  Just on the commentary - it was ok but I enjoy the game more if the commentators can partly comment from a Welsh perspective and they can only do that if there is someone there who has knowledge of the Welsh perspective.  A bit like Butler and Moare with the Internationals.  Imagine watching Wales v England with only English commentators. Something for Prem Sports to think about maybe.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 15 November 2020 at 9:12am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rochester100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rochester100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:15am
ShockedHugAre u serious ?
Dan played well!
shadow tackling ,missed touch,offers nothing in attack 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:32am
I thought Ed Kennedy was excellent and got through a huge amount of unseen work. With the international boys away and Shingler injured I think Kennedy, Morgan and Kalamafoni is the best back-row we can field.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Rochester100 Rochester100 wrote:

Dan played well!

In fairness to Dan their NZ/Irish number 8 targeted him all night and treated him as a speed bump. Dan didn't flinch but like a punch-drunk fighter kept coming back for more.  It might not have been a perfect performance from Dan but it was brave and 100% committed.  
Keep the faith
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:50am
Both the passes to give mcnichol the outside line came from Dan, those tries don't happen without that accuracy to start.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:50am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Dan played well!

In fairness to Dan their NZ/Irish number 8 targeted him all night and treated him as a speed bump. Dan didn't flinch but like a punch-drunk fighter kept coming back for more.  It might not have been a perfect performance from Dan but it was brave and 100% committed.  

It was. I was of the mind that neither Kennedy or Kalamafoni were able to put themselves between the Connacht 8 picking up from the scrum and Dan. Their 8 was by far and away their best player.

I don’t want to criticize any player after a superb win though.
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Dan played well!

It was. I was of the mind that neither Kennedy or Kalamafoni were able to put themselves between the Connacht 8 picking up from the scrum and Dan. Their 8 was by far and away their best player.

I don’t want to criticize any player after a superb win though.

Exactly - some people are never happy!! 🙄
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Both the passes to give mcnichol the outside line came from Dan, those tries don't happen without that accuracy to start.

Thank you for identifying the 'passer' - as you say, the speed, accuracy and sheer length of those passes were absolutely crucial in creating the tries.

As for Dan's defence - he never flinched in the face of the Connacht 8's charges, but was on a hiding to nothing - and also was one of the players who got one of theirs on his back to prevent a try. Not a perfect performance, but FAR more positives than negatives. Well played, Dan!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 10:03am
2 tries came from lovely passes by Dan especially the 2nd one..their 8 did carry hard into him but I didn’t seen him shirk any and the guy always came to ground..Easily our best performance all season  
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 10:25am
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

2 tries came from lovely passes by Dan especially the 2nd one..their 8 did carry hard into him but I didn’t seen him shirk any and the guy always came to ground..Easily our best performance all season  
Well played Dan , he put in some good tackles on big men as well as helping to create 2 of the tries.
To be fair I thought they all played pretty well .
saundersfoot scarlets
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 10:56am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I thought Ed Kennedy was excellent and got through a huge amount of unseen work. With the international boys away and Shingler injured I think Kennedy, Morgan and Kalamafoni is the best back-row we can field.

Agreed, and when everyone is fit and available we have an embarrassment of riches in the back row. In fact Cubby, Macleod and Dan Davis at 7 will need to be in excellent form to get more than the occasional game if Jac remains fit and not drafted into the Welsh set-up. As far as Dan is concerned with his speed and power, maybe he should consider doubling up as a potential outside back. That would also give us more flexibility on the subs bench.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Agreed, and when everyone is fit and available we have an embarrassment of riches in the back row. In fact Cubby, Macleod and Dan Davis at 7 will need to be in excellent form to get more than the occasional game if Jac remains fit and not drafted into the Welsh set-up. As far as Dan is concerned with his speed and power, maybe he should consider doubling up as a potential outside back. That would also give us more flexibility on the subs bench.

I have thought for some time that Dan would make an excellent 13. In fact he started out as a centre in schools rugby in Llandeilo if my memory is correct. Jac Morgan's form is going to keep a few excellent 7's kicking their heels which is not great. Someone like Dan Davies needs to be playing. 
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

Clap
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

Superb result, dogged it out, well done boys. But Delaney nearly messed it up, took all front row off when we were in charge in that department after 46 mins. Ridiculous decision.
Just enjoy the result we don’t often win out there not many teams do 

ClapClapClap  Just enjoy, we worked hard for that it wasn't perfect but it was a hard fought victory. I know it's going to sound like I'm only saying this as we won but I thought the ref was absolute class.....always talking everyone knew what he was expecting and he wasn't swayed by either side ClapClap

Agree 100% - this was the best refereeing performance I have seen in a very long time - is he always that good, or just having a good day?

In any case, the communication was top class, as you say - and I especially liked the way he reffed the scrums, taking time to tell the props what he expected and talking to them once the ball was in - as a result, there were VERY few collapses - not something you often get in such poor conditions. (Contrast the Wales game, where the ref failed to get the scrums to stay up.) The only scrum that went down more than once was in the last minute - perhaps, as Wil suggested, that was deliberate by the Scarlets front row to run the clock down (it's not unknown - I remember doing the same myself 55 years ago!) - though considering it ended with a pen. to them, which could have been costly if Marmion had kicked it deeper, I rather think it was just tired players and slippery grass.

As for the game - Macnicholl and Conbeer were top class - but who gave those excellent long passes off the left hand to allow Jonny to drift outside his marker? They were just as important. Was it Dinky or Asquith, or one each? Whoever it was, they were beautiful passes.

Jac Morgan continued to impress - he leads from the front. A sure-fire future captain on this form. Asquith proved worth his starting place, as did Conbeer (of course). No-one did badly overall - a very encouraging performance.

Worth remembering that the game was won by the defence as much as by the attack - Blacker's superb tackle, then three of the boys turning their man on his back as he went over - Dinky, Jac and one other... and later Cassiem's knee getting in the way of the ball as their prop went over - a brilliant spot by the ref to see the knock-on, which only became visible on about the 5th replay on the TV. A gutsy and determined effort by all concerned.

Well done, Scarlets.

It's frustrating. If you look back to the Edinburgh game if they had that constant feedback from the ref, it would have been a different game. He has highlighted from the start what each player needs to do and stuck to his word...... brilliant bit of reffing. He also praised them after every good scrum so players seemed more determined to keep him happy....for me the game benefited immensely for it 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 11:36am

Totally agree. And it wont be long before Morgan Jones is a regular starter even with a full squad available. He did some hard graft last night.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic