Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Davies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:14pm
disappointing news for us but entirely understandable for him

he will be second choice at the ospreys (where their first choice is away for a lot of the season)  as opposed to 4th choice here , he doesn't need to move home and he will probably get a  pay rise.

If he goes and does well he can always come back here in a season or two, must be really frustrating for our squad players not in the 23 with no premiership games to play in  

Train all week and then no game time

We need more regional a game fixtures for players like Dan and Costello etc

Edited by RR1972 - 17 November 2020 at 2:15pm
Sponsored Links

Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:22pm
Hopefully this rumour isn’t true, although I wouldn’t blame Dan as he’s a professional rugby player and needs game time to process his career. I’m a big fan of Dan’s, probably more so than Jac Morgan. That’s a big compliment for Dan as Jac is playing superbly at the moment and growing well into a quality professional. For me, Dan just has that something extra. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Hopefully this rumour isn’t true, although I wouldn’t blame Dan as he’s a professional rugby player and needs game time to process his career. I’m a big fan of Dan’s, probably more so than Jac Morgan. That’s a big compliment for Dan as Jac is playing superbly at the moment and growing well into a quality professional. For me, Dan just has that something extra. 

Both are more than capable of becoming full Internationals.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

I think Dan could be the heir to Aaron at 6, he reminds me a lot of Shingler. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

We have to be careful as rumours are out that we’re apparently losing six/seven players in January.  Also Cassiem is going at the end of the season.  
let's hope it's some of the internationals we never see.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

We have to be careful as rumours are out that we’re apparently losing six/seven players in January.  Also Cassiem is going at the end of the season.  
That doesn't ring true. Players have contracts that they won't just walk away from mid-season, so we'd have to have someone else to take them on. 

I'd be surprised
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

That doesn't ring true. Players have contracts that they won't just walk away from mid-season, so we'd have to have someone else to take them on. 

I'd be surprised
Absolutely.

Why January?

Off to a different hemisphere and/or Japan?

You could understand Uzair, much as we’d like him to remain a “permanent” fixture with us. Maybe you could find another name or two for those destinations. Six or seven seems to be stretching the point.

As Wasp says, our guys are contracted until the end of June. There might be some pay-offs to leave early though they’re likely to be headed to those very same destinations, where their game, financially, is far from being in great shape. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I'd be surprised
Absolutely.

Why January?

You could understand Uzair, much as we’d like him to remain a “permanent” fixture with us. Maybe you could find another name or two for those destinations. Six or seven seems to be stretching the point.

As Wasp says, our guys are contracted until the end of June. There might be some pay-offs to leave early though they’re likely to be headed to those very same destinations, where their game, financially, is far from being in great shape. 
Don't get me wrong. The medium term goal of the club is to carry a smaller squad, play more of our games with the first team etc. All that needs the season structure to change though, which won't happen before 22/23. 
However the board won't be able to achieve its other aim of attracting more investment partners from further afield if we aren't competitive in the short term. I don't see us losing many of our 1st-3rd choice players mid season. Despite the dodgy start to the P14, I think we're still in with a decent chance of playoffs this year.

We're still investing in facilities, there's a new all weather training facility to be built at the Parc, so I hear, in addition to the Barn

Edited by Wasp - 17 November 2020 at 8:00pm
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:48pm
I'm sure it's January time players who are coming out of contract are told their services are no longer required for the following season.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 8:49pm

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I'd be surprised
Absolutely.

Why January?

Don't get me wrong. The medium term goal of the club is to carry a smaller squad, play more of our games with the first team etc. All that needs the season structure to change though, which won't happen before 22/23. 
However the board won't be able to achieve its other aim of attracting more investment partners from further afield if we aren't competitive in the short term. I don't see us losing many of our 1st-3rd choice players mid season. Despite the dodgy start to the P14, I think we're still in with a decent chance of playoffs this year.

We're still investing in facilities, there's a new all weather training facility to be built at the Parc, so I hear, in addition to the Barn
No inkling of you being wrong. You’re one of the sharpest posters on here.

I’m trying to see the logic of it all AngryConfusedCry

I can’t.

You’re totally right in us needing to remain competitive to retain sponsorship let alone attract new sponsors.

The smaller squad can only work if the season is better aligned. Yet, the top players can’t play all those internationals and European cup ties plus the league game. They will wear out. Plus you have to find fixtures to bring through your other talent. So, maybe the squad reduction will be smaller than otherwise because the lack of a sensibly integrated calendar makes it impossible. 

Even with a fully integrated calendar, the squad reduction is likely to be less than a financial controller might drool over.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:16am
We'll still have a 2 tier squad and our internationals will still probably only play derbies, Europe, playoffs and other key fixtures near the end of league campaign.

The hope is that we won't have to have a 3 tier squad.

There's no avoiding the conclusion that there will be less club games in a year
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 12:58pm
Who's out of contract? Are we in a position to bring in NWQs instead?

Fact of the matter is its great to have Welsh internationals signing for us. Fact is, Liam Williams is coming up to 12 months a scarlet player come beginning of the 6N was it? He's played one game for us. 

Depending who's out of contract, ideally we can bring in a NWQ loosehead, NWQ tighthead, NWQ backrower (if Dan Davis and Cassiem are going along with Cubby and Shingler getting on), NWQ scrum half and NWQ centre and back 3.

We need a consistency in the side during internationals and when the internationals return. I think we may see or, or at least I believe we need a shift in recruitment. We will always produce local talent. But we also lose a lot for majority of the season. We need a strong spine to the starting 15 that the youngsters play alongside and learn from and a spine that sees the internationals easily slot in on their return. Will it happen? Doubt it... But I do hope. 
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 1:30pm
Looking at the players we have, and lets hope most will be retained, main area to strengthen, with international call ups in mind is front row, given we could be missing upto 6 players there, Rob, Wyn, Ken, Ryan, Samson...

2 new props if Kruger is finishing? 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Looking at the players we have, and lets hope most will be retained, main area to strengthen, with international call ups in mind is front row, given we could be missing upto 6 players there, Rob, Wyn, Ken, Ryan, Samson...

2 new props if Kruger is finishing? 

And also Will Gruff John if rumours are lead to be believed. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 2:22pm
the squad needs to be balanced, it is pointless having too many welsh test players especially in this covid world, you simply don't get enough games out of them

ok we are only paying 20% of liam , foxy etc wages but how many games will they play? , 10 to 12 maximum?

Then you have guys like hardy , cubby and jonny w who are now away for a month or more and will be the same in the 6 nations period (are we paying their wages in full?).

We are struggling as we are not only losing our first xv players to wales but their back ups as well , the likes of ken and josh will be called up when fit and I can see rob evans being in the mix to come 6 nations time

Our best value players at present are the nwq guys who are here all season long eg asquith

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

the squad needs to be balanced, it is pointless having too many welsh test players especially in this covid world, you simply don't get enough games out of them

ok we are only paying 20% of liam , foxy etc wages but how many games will they play? , 10 to 12 maximum?

Then you have guys like hardy , cubby and jonny w who are now away for a month or more and will be the same in the 6 nations period (are we paying their wages in full?).

We are struggling as we are not only losing our first xv players to wales but their back ups as well , the likes of ken and josh will be called up when fit and I can see rob evans being in the mix to come 6 nations time

Our best value players at present are the nwq guys who are here all season long eg asquith

I agree, we are missing our 3 first choice 15's through international call ups.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic