Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North Knee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I think the refs should penalise players for the hollering and shouting in oppositions faces after winning a turnover or scrum penalty. Unfortunately Rob Evans is one of worst at this as is Itoje find the behaviour unsportsmanlike and childlike.

Fair comment.

Why don't we go back to one of the better ways of dealing with insubordination from the olden days - if anyone disagrees with a decision in a clearly offensive way, march them back 10 yards - or metres. If anyone 'over-celebrates' in a clearly offensive way, meant to wind up the opposition - reverse the decision.

That would sort out this behaviour pretty quickly, I think.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:40pm
Disagreeing with the ref is a part of life for us supporters...

I wonder if we should consider removing any temptation to challenge decisions from the players. In the NFL, decisions can be challenged by a 'flag' thrown onto the pitch; in cricket, players are allowed up to 3 challenges per session (I think). 

Some sort of middle way between these systems could see coaches given the right to make (say) up to 3 challenges per half - either immediately, or when a try is 'scored' without a break in play following a contentious decision. (This would have led to the Biggar  tackle-in-air try ruled out, I think). It would also speed things up overall - if refs are relieved from dealing with Biggar himself, or half the Irish squad, or Richie of Scotland, bitching away, with only the coaches (with the benefit of their own laptop replays) able to intervene, then pointless complaints would cease and only those with merit, or very borderline decisions which actually matter, would be looked at.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I wonder if we should consider removing any temptation to challenge decisions from the players. In the NFL, decisions can be challenged by a 'flag' thrown onto the pitch; in cricket, players are allowed up to 3 challenges per session (I think). 

Some sort of middle way between these systems could see coaches given the right to make (say) up to 3 challenges per half - either immediately, or when a try is 'scored' without a break in play following a contentious decision. (This would have led to the Biggar  tackle-in-air try ruled out, I think). It would also speed things up overall - if refs are relieved from dealing with Biggar himself, or half the Irish squad, or Richie of Scotland, bitching away, with only the coaches (with the benefit of their own laptop replays) able to intervene, then pointless complaints would cease and only those with merit, or very borderline decisions which actually matter, would be looked at.

I like that but you'd have to limit how far back you can go in play....
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:53pm
I add to the list the patronising and provocative  “ Tap on the head’ by the opposition for a player who drops the ball; slips in the scrum or gets turned over . Really annoys me as again it often leads to aggro and more pushing and shoving! The game is being strangled ( if you pardon the pun) by stoppages and TMO referrals. I watched the Glaws Quins game yesterday and the referrals took ages of time. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I'd say - within the play (no breaks) - BUT in case of endless phases, the NFL 'flag' method occurs during play - so if that was adopted, TMOs could immediately start looking, and come up with a decision maybe even before the ball goes dead.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:38pm

I'd say - within the play (no breaks) - BUT in case of endless phases, the NFL 'flag' method occurs during play - so if that was adopted, TMOs could immediately start looking, and come up with a decision maybe even before the ball goes dead.

I had a quick google of the flag system & I didn't realise there was an actual flag thrown LOL I like it! 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:41pm

I had a quick google of the flag system & I didn't realise there was an actual flag thrown LOL I like it! 

It has its advantages, but as far as I know there isn't a limit (?) - which might lead to even more stoppages - which is why I like the cricket idea of limiting the number of challenges... then people will only challenge decisions which really matter.

Edited by aber-fan - 07 December 2020 at 3:41pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:47pm

It has its advantages, but as far as I know there isn't a limit (?) - which might lead to even more stoppages - which is why I like the cricket idea of limiting the number of challenges... then people will only challenge decisions which really matter.

We are, or seem to be, moving to VAR territory in rugby where it feels every try is checked now before the conversion can take place...
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 3:51pm

We are, or seem to be, moving to VAR territory in rugby where it feels every try is checked now before the conversion can take place...

Yes, that is a risk. Too much delay will be hard to put up with... mind you, I think (cynically) that a lot of breaks are actually deliberately built in to USA sport, to allow for the (lucrative) ad breaks... and presumably the supporters go for a beer, or a wee...
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I add to the list the patronising and provocative  “ Tap on the head’ by the opposition for a player who drops the ball; slips in the scrum or gets turned over . Really annoys me as again it often leads to aggro and more pushing and shoving! The game is being strangled ( if you pardon the pun) by stoppages and TMO referrals. I watched the Glaws Quins game yesterday and the referrals took ages of time. 

Mike Brown did that to Scott when Underhill dragged him in to touch whilst sliding over a couple of seasons ago.

We still talk about it now. I wouldn't have had Scott's restrained response, that's for sure!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 6:43pm

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Appealing to the ref for yellows, massive whopping when the ref pings for you in the scrum. Awful developments of the modern game.

The hard thing for many here is that, certainly in my playing days anyways, if anyone carried on holding on to me 5-10 yds away from and after the contact point, a clip or a biff in the chops would be a reasonable response, almost expected, and certainly deserved.

Seen these cited and ignored. Who knows.

Fair comment - that Italian took North out miles from the ball - something that happens far too often nowadays, without being picked up by the  refs or assistants. North's 'retaliation' looked pretty flimsy - he may have pulled back on any power delivered - and the reaction from the Italian was a bit pitiful, TBH.

It shouldn't lead to any citing, IMO, given the 'lack of power' (© Irish TMOs) being applied.

We'll see.
Nice comment on the copyright.

If you can expand that into something more developed, I know someone who works in the EU Patents Office. You’ve a few weeks left....
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Mike Brown did that to Scott when Underhill dragged him in to touch whilst sliding over a couple of seasons ago.

We still talk about it now. I wouldn't have had Scott's restrained response, that's for sure!

I remember it well. A big part of me really wanted to see Scott sort that guy out regardless of cards. Brown is one of the worst types of play actors. 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:03am
Anyone remember a few seasons ago (maybe more than a few), the Ref's Assistant made a mistake in flagging touch when the ball was still in play and made up an exuse as to why he had flagged and caused the ref to stop the game - his excuse was that one of our players had shouted. Smile

Anyway, when I read the title of this thread I thought it was a discussion about a peninsula off the Pembrokeshire coast.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:22am
On a side note , North just made the world team of the decade alongside some very esteemed company 

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:24am

Rugby lge have started to penalise players who tap the opposition on the head after they making an error

They did it a twice in the wigan vs hull play off game, I hope we follow  their lead it has no part in the game
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:26am
Yep. Saw that. Good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic