Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ex players to sue authorities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 9:06am
Didn't steve thompson get paid out on an insurance policy and then go back playing a few years later?neck i think.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Didn't steve thompson get paid out on an insurance policy and then go back playing a few years later?neck i think.

He retired on medical advice, then he recovered. He then overcame the injury/issue with the neck then the same issue forced a second retirement. Unsure of insurance payout.

Edited by Fscarlet - 09 December 2020 at 9:08am
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

He retired on medical advice, then he recovered. He then overcame the injury/issue with the neck then the same issue forced a second retirement. Unsure of insurance payout.
maybe he came back and played without insurance?i know there's something around insurance.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 10:41am
Former Dragons centre Adam Hughes said "there were times where I suffered concussions & I was always playing a few days later".

There is no doubt work has been done regarding the issue, however whilst this highlights the issue at professional level I still think there is more to be done lower down the structure.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 11:46am
Here is the 15 point plan laid out by the players:
  1. World Rugby to accept that playing professional rugby can lead to CTE and other neurodegenerative diseases.
  2. Regulated training to be introduced limiting contact to a certain number of sessions a year

3. Limit the number of substitutes per game

4. All players’ unions to have greater independence

5. Zero hour contracts to be abolished by World Rugby

6. Competent baseline testing each pre-season

7. Adoption of better sideline testing

8. Concussions spotters to have authority to remove players showing visible symptoms

9. Career-long central database chronicling injury history

10. Remove rugby union’s reliance on various arch-conservative organisations, such as the International Consensus Group on Concussion in Sport (CISG) and the International Concussion & Head Injury Research Foundation (ICHIRF), and select sports science departments

11. Urgent research to be carried out on front row forwards

12. Greater education on the issue of concussion

13. For every three concussions suffered by a player, he or she will receive a full set of medical tests

14. Remove reliance on the MRI scan to prove brain trauma

15. Better aftercare

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 1:26pm
I think you’re a bit naive if you think playing a contact support like rugby there’s no risk of things like this. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think you’re a bit naive if you think playing a contact support like rugby there’s no risk of things like this. 

this , isn't there some sort of latin phrase in law that means at your own risk?
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 1:59pm

As I said, there have been substantial advances in our knowledge and diagnosis of neurological disorders in the last 10-20 years. Plus men are more willing to talk about ill health "these days".

But yes, of course there will be risks in a contact sport - there's no way around this. Nothing wrong in trying to reduce those risks though is there? The 15 guidelines they want discussed aren't seeking to make it a non-contact sport. 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 2:40pm
The authorities can do all they want on monitoring players and their concussions, but unless they are proactive and not reactive they will not improve the "workplace".
Unless they do something to address the breakdown area where some of the clear outs are frankly life threatening for example when  a small player attempting to jackle is cleared out by a 20 stone muscle bound front row forward, then you are accepting that the worse can happen.  You could not get away with that type of workplace safety in any other business.
Too many "fresh" substitutes is another problem that is easily solved, no tactical subs, only genuine injury replacements, monitored by independent doctors.

Keep the faith
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 3:52pm
Would introducing a maximum weight limit for players help ?

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I don't know, thats the beauty of rugby isn't it, it was a sport for all sizes & abilities.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 3:54pm

I don't know, thats the beauty of rugby isn't it, it was a sport for all sizes & abilities.

I agree entirely, perhaps those days are numbered ????
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 3:55pm

You may be right.... I don't know what the answer is but I am noticing even at the (very low) level I play at, there are more concussion instances.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 4:16pm

You may be right.... I don't know what the answer is but I am noticing even at the (very low) level I play at, there are more concussion instances.
Just a question - do you believe that it is more concussion incidents or that more incidents are being picked up as concussions where previously it would’ve been just a ‘slight knock to the head, nothing to worry about’?  Of course one would be a positive while the other would be a worry.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

this , isn't there some sort of latin phrase in law that means at your own risk?
Of course rugby players will probably always have a higher rate of early dementia and related illnesses than the average person but the figures for the early professionals are truly staggering. If the rate of brain injuries can be reduced without changing the game massively, then why shouldn’t World Rugby try it?

Edited by Jones2004 - 09 December 2020 at 4:19pm
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 5:25pm
More head gear? perhaps we will end up with helmets?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic