Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Regional Coaching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regional Coaching
    Posted: 03 January 2021 at 9:08am
The dire derby displays by our Welsh regions should be setting off warning bells at not only regional boardrooms but also at the top echelons of the WRU. The problems start with the quality of the coaching available. We have the quality of players to be competitive within the pro 12. However there is a clear difference in the calibre of coaching employed at the Welsh regions compared say to the Irish. 

For us to improve our product we need to address this coaching issue as a matter of urgency. Before the horrible word - finance enters the conversation - let me be clear. If we have to forego paying players like AWJ, Foxy and Liam big bucks to be able to afford top line coaches then  we have to do it. Other younger guys will come along & with top end coaching will improve the regions and therefore Welsh rugby. 
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The dire derby displays by our Welsh regions should be setting off warning bells at not only regional boardrooms but also at the top echelons of the WRU. The problems start with the quality of the coaching available. We have the quality of players to be competitive within the pro 12. However there is a clear difference in the calibre of coaching employed at the Welsh regions compared say to the Irish. 

For us to improve our product we need to address this coaching issue as a matter of urgency. Before the horrible word - finance enters the conversation - let me be clear. If we have to forego paying players like AWJ, Foxy and Liam big bucks to be able to afford top line coaches then  we have to do it. Other younger guys will come along & with top end coaching will improve the regions and therefore Welsh rugby. 
the amount of times we see them on the field would we notice they weren't there?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 2:49pm
How mulvihill is still in a job is beyond me the blues are rubbish . Ryan and booth both look decent, delaney started slowly  but is improving now and winning me over. Flannigan is the weak link for us i’d get rid tbh. I watch the bristol vs newcastle game lam is a superb coach i hope he replaces pivac 

Edited by RR1972 - 03 January 2021 at 2:58pm
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 4:55pm
Who coaches the coaches? We need to get a load of Kiwis in at all age groups.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

the good coaches are home in new zealand doc ,we get the ones who have run out of ideas and coach the skill out of our players and teach them to kick possession away.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

the good coaches are home in new zealand doc ,we get the ones who have run out of ideas and coach the skill out of our players and teach them to kick possession away.
Brad Mooar was head hunted by the All Blacks which doesn’t happen very often...
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

yes and then they lost to argentina but he knew how to say thank you very much in argentinian,LOL 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:04pm

i'll see your brad moar and raise you a pivac with wales and a delaney.Wink
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:08pm
I think we need a DOR, who can follow the development of our young staff.
I remember here not sweety words for Mark Jones and now he s coaching one of the best club in the world, in the land of rugby. With us he was at the first experience like coach, but it isnt an easy job...
With Delaney Im watching many boys playing their best rugby or a maturity never seen before. Also if I have to consider his best focus coaching, defence, I have to say he s doing a great job with us.

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:24pm
The All Blacks were envious of us for years.They failed,really,to produce players like Cliff Morgan,Barry John,Phil Bennett.For years their 10 slot(Burgess,I'm told was an exception that proved the rule)was therefore occupied by excellent kickers,but players who couldn't run-Fox for years,then Mehrtens.Then Carlos Spencer came through,and they picked him,before they finally struck gold with Carter,who had it all.Nowadays it would be inconceivable to see New Zealand play without an attacking 10.Meanwhile in Wales,Henry came over,followed by Hansen and Gatland.By the time they finished,we all started to believe that the game had changed,that outside-half had ceased to be an attacking position,that players like Bennett would never have made it today,etc,etc,etc.Shortly before he died,Colin Meads was in the UK,doing some media work for the All Blacks before a World Cup,I forget the year.I listened to an interview he gave on,I think,Radio WalesAsked his thoughts on the Welsh team at the time,he said,and I remember it clearly"What you really need is a quick outside-half,a Cliffy Morgan type player,one who the other backs can play off".I wonder whether he was aware that the orthodoxy put in place by his fellow countrymen was the reason such players were no longer favoured in Wales.Instead we are left with clip-boards,laptops,key performance indicators,exit strategies,and outside halves slower than front row forwards.Probably the most successfull example of sporting sabotage the world has ever seen,aided and abetted by our own gullibility.Let's see what happens to Costelow.....

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 03 January 2021 at 7:35pm
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:27pm

yes and then they lost to argentina but he knew how to say thank you very much in argentinian,LOL 

Dee-all-can-vow-er,ladram..LOLLOLLOL
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:30pm
We know the regional budgets are less than the Irish budgets, so it's not rocket science as to why we have who we have over here. The Irish teams have the likes of Contempomi, Larkham, Rowntree, Lancaster etc. Those coaches aren't at Welsh clubs because Welsh clubs can't afford their wages. It's no different to players. There's a reason the South African World Cup Winning centre went to Munster and not to a Welsh side.

You can't just decide to ignore finance. And shipping out a world class player or 2 to get a better coach in means your squad is weaker. It's all about finance, 9 times out of 10 a lower budget means you are not as good on the pitch.

Edited by KID A - 03 January 2021 at 6:32pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:36pm

i'll see your brad moar and raise you a pivac with wales and a delaney.Wink
I love it when we wind each other up it’s my main reason for coming on here LOLLOL
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 6:43pm
Embarrassed
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 8:52am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

We know the regional budgets are less than the Irish budgets, so it's not rocket science as to why we have who we have over here. The Irish teams have the likes of Contempomi, Larkham, Rowntree, Lancaster etc. Those coaches aren't at Welsh clubs because Welsh clubs can't afford their wages. It's no different to players. There's a reason the South African World Cup Winning centre went to Munster and not to a Welsh side.

You can't just decide to ignore finance. And shipping out a world class player or 2 to get a better coach in means your squad is weaker. It's all about finance, 9 times out of 10 a lower budget means you are not as good on the pitch.

Making your squad weaker for better coaching is not even a calculated gamble. How much have AWJ, Liam & Foxy actually contributed to their regions this season? For the Scarlets if finance is the issue then for instance lose Liam and replace him in the squad by Tom Rogers which would leave a substantial amount left over for a quality attack coach. At the moment we have two coaches for the backs - Flanagan & Whiffin - why??? Frankly on what I have seen they are not doing a very good job. 

Someone - Dic I think - during another string of dire performances some time ago suggested that my old friend Allan Lewis could do a decent short term job. One thing Allan would sort out from day one is the alignment & passing skills. My point is there are quality Welsh coaches available who could do better jobs than the current incumbents without breaking the budget. Surely Dai Young would do a better job than Mulhivill? Mark Jones ( wait for it) would now certainly do a better job than Flannagan/Whiffin.

Welsh rugby seems set on bringing back Welsh qualified players ( some with very tenuous links) but ignore talented Welsh coaches. Finally there is a lot of nonsense talked about how the game has changed blah, blah blah. Does any serious contributor really think that Benny & Jiffy would not transform our back play overnight??? How you may ask - by reinstating the old adage that it is the 10 who calls the shots in attack and plays what in front of them. Both would have longed for having the ball in their hands and would have given it back to the opposition as a final resort not as a matter of choice even off 1st phase ball. Carwyn would have have been looking at that performance against the Dragons on a perfect night for rugby and wondering what on earth happened to his beloved team. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

How mulvihill is still in a job is beyond me the blues are rubbish . Ryan and booth both look decent, delaney started slowly  but is improving now and winning me over. Flannigan is the weak link for us i’d get rid tbh. I watch the bristol vs newcastle game lam is a superb coach i hope he replaces pivac 

And why is Pat Lam so well respected. He coaches the players to play the right way. He will say he has a good team around him and yes he probably does but the Bristol gameplan comes from Lam and involves using the ball efficiently. Of course he has made some superstar signings but he also has a lot of unsung guys mixed with young players in the squad and lives well within the salary cap rules. He would be my next coach for Wales if available. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic