Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Champions cup to be postponed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Champions cup to be postponed
    Posted: 09 January 2021 at 1:55pm
Give time to get our players fit I suppose. 

The remaining two rounds of the Champions Cup pool stage are set to be postponed due to the escalating Covid-19 situation.

With cases in Ireland and the UK soaring dramatically, it is looking increasingly likely that the next two rounds of matches, set to take place over the next two weekends, will not go ahead as scheduled. When they might be played instead remains to be seen, with the Six Nations set to start in early February and run until mid-March.

The Telegraph is reporting that the French government have decided to ban international sport for the time being, which also casts doubt on whether the Six Nations will go ahead as planned.

With two free weekends set to appear in the calendar, it is understood that the postponed PRO14 clash between Leinster and Munster, and a number of other clashes that were unable to be played earlier in the year, could now be fixed for the next fortnight.

Sponsored Links

Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2021 at 2:24pm
Let’s hope that they move the Six Nations to later in the year giving time for the Pro 14 to be played out with the internationals. Would hopefully also mean that at least a partial crowd is allowed in the Six Nations to get some money into the regions. What would happen to the Lions then I do not know (although hopefully not playing the games in the UK.)

Edited by Jones2004 - 09 January 2021 at 2:25pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2021 at 3:18pm
Looks more like itll be 5 nations with no
France. Lions “tour” to be played in the uk. Big mess this isn’t it? No ones fault 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Let’s hope that they move the Six Nations to later in the year giving time for the Pro 14 to be played out with the internationals. Would hopefully also mean that at least a partial crowd is allowed in the Six Nations to get some money into the regions. What would happen to the Lions then I do not know (although hopefully not playing the games in the UK.)

Far too sensible and well-through to actually happen......
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:07pm

This season's European Cups will not be abandoned if the French government decides its clubs cannot play their remaining pool fixtures, the competitions' chief executive says.

Two rounds of Heineken Champions Cup and Challenge Cup pool games on the weekends of 15-17 and 22-24 January are in doubt as authorities consider the impact of a new strain of Covid-19. But European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) chief executive Vincent Gaillard is confident the tournaments can be completed in April and May.

Gaillard told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme organisers were looking at a "possible suspension" of the tournament, with four weekends already scheduled in April and May to play the knockout stages.

He said if January's fixtures cannot go ahead, he was confident the four other weekends would "be used in one way or another".

I wonder if they will do away with the 2 legged quarters & try to shoe horn in rounds 3 & 4 into those weekends?

Pat Lam has called on the Premiership to bring forward league fixtures so they play games over the next 2 weekends & avoid fixture congestion over the season.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:59pm
Talks ongoing in the Pro 14 to bring forward games over the next 2 weeks, though it may be the Welsh sides play in friendlies to avoid cross boarder travel. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 1:56pm
well i'm glad we beat bath as it cost me £25 to watch it.Cry
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Talks ongoing in the Pro 14 to bring forward games over the next 2 weeks, though it may be the Welsh sides play in friendlies to avoid cross boarder travel. 

There is still 1 round of derby games to be played in all countries so we could see these fitted in alongside 1 normal round of fixtures in the league with cross border travel
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 5:51pm
Officially suspended. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 5:59pm
I’m surprised sport is still being played. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 6 nations is called off too. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I’m surprised sport is still being played. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 6 nations is called off too. 
one of the papers are asking how long football can continue after the scenes in the giant killers dressing rooms over the weekend with loads hugging,kissing and singing,[ and if football goes rugby will follow.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 6:41pm
More and more games being called off due to cases in the teams too. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 6:47pm

Should be postponed until the summer 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Precursor of a much needed global season 🤔
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 7:41pm

France have just announced their squad for the 6 nations. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

France have just announced their squad for the 6 nations. 
Astoundingly counter intuitive.

You’d have thought they’d have held it back to another day after the EPCR postponement 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic