Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jac Morgan to ospreys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 46>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Thomas Young, like any 7 playing at the top level for a whilw, will be challenged to maintain his fitness behind the next season or two. It's such a high attrition role.

You can see the level of challenges Warburton, Navidi, Cudd, and Cubby have had in the last 12-18 months. Granted Tips is an exception.
But Tipuric doesn’t do as much work at the breakdown and is more of a skill-focused type of player. Perhaps why he seems capable of keeping fit more than the others.

That's spot on! For all his strengths Tipuric is not a reknown breakdown operator .
he did a pretty good in the build up to the ospreys try vs us the other day😂.  Who is the best breakdown player in wales at the moment? Hard to look past our josh for me

Basham & Ollie Griffiths would give Josh a run for his money but he is right up there with the best. 

Basham was outstanding against us & the game 100% swung into our favour when he went off injured.

Basham was outstanding.I thought the Cardiff flankers were hugely impressive,too.

Josh is wonderful over the ball but he does concede lots of penalties. I appreciate that in that position you are really on the edge but being selective is the key and that comes down to lots of things. Jac Morgan impresses me in his intelligence & selection but of course its early days. The best breakdown guy I've seen this season is Jack Willis whose balance and stability combined with his dexterity are wonderful. 
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:42am

Josh is wonderful over the ball but he does concede lots of penalties. I appreciate that in that position you are really on the edge but being selective is the key and that comes down to lots of things. Jac Morgan impresses me in his intelligence & selection but of course its early days. The best breakdown guy I've seen this season is Jack Willis whose balance and stability combined with his dexterity are wonderful. 

Aye a couple of times, Josh has been done for his elbows hitting the floor. We've come a long way from when Warburton used to put his hands a yard in front of the ball & then let the hit from the clear out anchor him to the ball.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:52am

Aye a couple of times, Josh has been done for his elbows hitting the floor. We've come a long way from when Warburton used to put his hands a yard in front of the ball & then let the hit from the clear out anchor him to the ball.

Ultimately,I think,something needs to be done to reduce the importance of this aspect of a flanker's play.Wing-forward is perhaps the most fluid position in the game,and it's paradoxical that so often these days a flanker is judged on his ability to be completely immobile!
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:06am
if jac does go i wouldnt mind a sneaky attempt at getting ollie griffiths down here, guy is class and just needs a run of games. all hyperthetical obviously
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

if jac does go i wouldnt mind a sneaky attempt at getting ollie griffiths down here, guy is class and just needs a run of games. all hyperthetical obviously

If Jac does leave and it seems to be a done deal I think our current stable, provided Cubby returns soon, combined with our academy could cover it. 2nd rows, tight head and pace are our urgent needs. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Ultimately,I think,something needs to be done to reduce the importance of this aspect of a flanker's play.Wing-forward is perhaps the most fluid position in the game,and it's paradoxical that so often these days a flanker is judged on his ability to be completely immobile!

Couldn't agree more Dic. Tipuric is a throw back to the old great 7's who graced the game - superbly efficient tackler, hounding the 10/12's, capable of linking as well as a 9, always supporting the ball carrier and taking the outside break at 13. Guys like Lyn Jones, Martyn Williams, Michael Jones, Fergus Slattery etc etc. Cubby, for me, has been the best exponent of linking both types of skills at 7 - excellent over the ball and good enough to play Internationally at 13. Unfortunately it has become a very attritional position. First thing I would ban is players entering rucks off their feet. A player who launches himself into rucks almost horizontally has no control & it should be an immediate red card. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:31am

I would look at bringing Basham in to replace Jac only 21, but a formidable player!!! Been shabbily treated by the Dragons and Wales.

Edited by 157cb - 14 January 2021 at 9:31am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:32am

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

If Jac does leave and it seems to be a done deal I think our current stable, provided Cubby returns soon, combined with our academy could cover it. 2nd rows, tight head and pace are our urgent needs. 

I am a big fan of Cubby, have been since he broke through but I really don't think he will be the same player when he returns. I would rather the board, if it isn't a done deal, to move heaven & earth to keep Jac.

I agree we need to look at a TH & Griff-John (if true) ticks that box & I'd like a NWQ second row, do we need two? I'm not so sure.
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:41am
Lots of noise coming from our noisy neighbours at the moment, is there a player out there they are not interested in signing. They'd be better off focusing on developing their own.
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by jeremy windell jeremy windell wrote:

Lots of noise coming from our noisy neighbours at the moment, is there a player out there they are not interested in signing. They'd be better off focusing on developing their own.
Agree, but they are being very clever in getting lots of media interest. They are really promoting the resurgence of the Ospreys and that they are going places. Clever marketing.
Mike Ruddock is doing a stellar job at making them far more professional. 
Jac Morgan is a donedeal unfortunately.
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Agree, but they are being very clever in getting lots of media interest. They are really promoting the resurgence of the Ospreys and that they are going places. Clever marketing.
Mike Ruddock is doing a stellar job at making them far more professional. 
Jac Morgan is a donedeal unfortunately.

Mark Orders absolutely drools over them 
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:59am
Ospreys have confirmed their interest. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 11:09am

I don't like them but they have developed a lot of players from within their region this year the young centre and scrum half plus Phillips at hooker and Griffiths and Morris  in their pack all look much improved since Booth took over there 

All regions need to recruit from outside just a shame they have taken jac from us
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 11:40am
Got to call absolute bu!!5h!t on this from Booth, I wish that journalists and pundits would call them up on these things more often:

"It's probably an example of wanting to make the squad more robust, especially when we have to deliver so much to international programmes"

Absolute best case scenario they'll have North, Watkins, Webb, Nicky Smith, Tipuric and AWJ in Wales first choice 23. In reality it won't be anywhere near that though with only Tipuric and AWJ shoe in's for the first choice 15. And then you've got to consider the age profile of them.

Their contribution recently has been more aligned with the Dragons than us or the Blues.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 12:02pm
Just as a stat the  wales 23 in the last game  was made up of the following

us 3 starters 2 bench players

blues 2 starters 1 bench player

dragons 0 starters 4 bench players

ospreys 5 starters 0 bench players

not playing in wales 5 starters 1 bench player

Granted that is with an injury hit squad but to show the make of the last 23 , not that is likely to be the next starting 23 by any way

We will clearly supply the most players to the squad as a whole , it would be better for us if the other regions contributed more saves us losing so many players to the welsh squad many of whom don't actually play half the time 

Edited by RR1972 - 14 January 2021 at 12:07pm
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 12:13pm
That's the sort of stat that Booth must be clinging onto.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 46>
  Share Topic