Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales 6 Nations squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

See Rhys Priestland been given special dispensation to be selected for the 6 nations squad as he is heading to the Blues next season. 
good one for the future there Shocked
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 12:51pm
Expect Bath will react in a more dignified manner than Toulon
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

See Rhys Priestland been given special dispensation to be selected for the 6 nations squad as he is heading to the Blues next season. 
The Six Nations should always be about the here and now 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

not when you are building for a world cup,france have identified that and are building towards winning it on home soil,it will be ateam picked to try and save their jobs with not a thought about the next world cup.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 2:18pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

not when you are building for a world cup,france have identified that and are building towards winning it on home soil,it will be ateam picked to try and save their jobs with not a thought about the next world cup.

Because of last years results, or lack of, Pivac has to pick the strongest possible squad to keep him in the job. This will involve older players possibly being involved.  
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 2:32pm
Ok here we go then - 

15. Leigh 14. Adams 13. Foxy 12. Jamie 11. LRZ 10. Biggar 9. Webb 
1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Francis 4. AWJ 5. Rowlands 6. Lydiate 7. Tipuric 8. Faletau

16. Ryan 17. Smith 18. Brown 19. Beard 20. Josh 21. Cawdor 22. Priestland 23. North. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 2:33pm
Jamie Roberts wild card anyone?
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 2:37pm

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Same as Webb before his move to the Ospreys last year.

I guess Wayne has more reason to justify selection of Rhys as he has two experienced 10's unavailable - Anscombe & Patchell. Add in the fact that Rhys is playing as well as ever at the moment. He is a 10 who can get a backline moving at pace. 

While I agree Rhys is playing well and could make our backs work better - what a waste it would be to leave out Jarrod Evans 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 3:05pm
My selection above was rather tongue in cheek but I can really understand Wayne Pivac's dilemma. He is looking at the first two games as must wins if he is going to be sure of keeping his position. To that end I would probably select Edwards & Bennett if I was him. Scarletnut suggests that the 6 nations is for the here and now. If that is the case, and I don't disgree by the way, then he has to be careful in getting the balance correct - if an older player is no more effective than a younger guy then the younger guy gets the nod with 2023 in mind. 

For me Johnny Williams gets the nod over Jamie, North over Foxy at the moment, Tomas Williams over Webb, Lewis-Hughes over Lydiate - that leaves Ken & AWJ. An on form Ken is still the best hooker in Wales by some degree but is AWJ still the best lock?? Decisions decisions - thats the reason why Gatland always said that selection was the hardest/biggest part of coaching. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 3:06pm
Eddie is going with a 28 man squad for the 6N.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 3:08pm
I think Morgan Jones has an outside chance.
Joshua24:15
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 4:02pm

My selection above was rather tongue in cheek but I can really understand Wayne Pivac's dilemma. He is looking at the first two games as must wins if he is going to be sure of keeping his position. To that end I would probably select Edwards & Bennett if I was him.

Realistically he only has to show progress. 

You can’t compare the state of Irish and Welsh rugby and think Wales are likely to go to Ireland and win. Their provinces cutely sit in the top 4 places of the Pro14, and welsh regions sit 5-8. 

Likewise, France and England are much bigger financially and currently are much better. So we can only hope to stay within 1 score as per last 6N.

So really, he only has to beat Scotland and Italy with performance improvements mixed in vs Ireland.

If we lose to Scotland or Italy he’ll have to go - but any wins beyond that and he’s overachieving.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 4:12pm
You think its acceptable to lose at home to Ireland????  How an earth can 3 from 5 be overachieving??? If thats overachieving then I don't know what to call what Gatland did - lets refresh in October 2019 we lost narrowly to the eventual World champions in the semi finals. So we are prepared now to accept mediocrity - well you can I certainly won't.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 4:45pm

You think its acceptable to lose at home to Ireland????  How an earth can 3 from 5 be overachieving??? If thats overachieving then I don't know what to call what Gatland did - lets refresh in October 2019 we lost narrowly to the eventual World champions in the semi finals. So we are prepared now to accept mediocrity - well you can I certainly won't.

What Gatland did was remarkable. Massively overachieved & papered over the cracks in Welsh rugby.

If the manner of defeat is the same as the game vs Ireland in the Autumn then that’s not acceptable. 

Given I don’t believe home advantage counts when there’s no fans, if Ireland turn up and win a game like the French did in Feb - then it’s progress.

I’m not starting from the baseline of World Cup semi finalists. I’m starting from the baseline of Pivac’s last season with the scarlets!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

What Gatland did was remarkable. Massively overachieved & papered over the cracks in Welsh rugby.

If the manner of defeat is the same as the game vs Ireland in the Autumn then that’s not acceptable. 

Given I don’t believe home advantage counts when there’s no fans, if Ireland turn up and win a game like the French did in Feb - then it’s progress.

I’m not starting from the baseline of World Cup semi finalists. I’m starting from the baseline of Pivac’s last season with the scarlets!
We're ****** then.LOLLOL
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 5:38pm

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

So we are prepared now to accept mediocrity - well you can I certainly won't.

We're ****** then.LOLLOL

Exactly!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic