Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales 6 Nations squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales 6 Nations squad
    Posted: 11 January 2021 at 11:45am
With Pivac selecting a squad that will go a long way to determining if he is still Wales head coach at the end of the year, who does everyone think will be in? There are always unexpected picks in every squad & notable omissions along with the safe picks. 

Which surprises can you see being sprung when Pivac names his squad next week?

Ifan Phillips - really impressed me with his derby performances, he was very bright when he came off the bench against us on Boxing Day & his form has continued improving over the festive & new year period.

Jamie Roberts - Age not on his side but I don't think there are any better 12's on form at the moment, seems re-born at the Dragons. I still think he will do a job.

Rhys Webb - I don't think he will make it given that Tomos Williams is back & firing. Rhys looked a bit sluggish against the Dragons & I'd be surprised if he makes it as I expect Tomos & our 2 Scarlets boys there.

Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:10pm
Assuming AWJ doesn't make it in time for Ireland I would like to see the following selected to start against Ireland.

15. Leigh 14. Adams (only just) 13. North 12. Johnny 11. LRZ 10. Jarrod 9. Tomas
1. Wyn 2. Ryan 3. Francis 4. Rowlands 5. Beard 6. Hill 7. Josh 8. Faletau.

16. Ifan 17. Smith 18. Samson 19. Seb 20. Wainwright 21. Cawdor 22. Sheedy 23. Foxy. 

Other young players in the squad I would have Kieran Williams, Protheroe, Morgan Jones & Ed Kennedy ( if qualified). 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:14pm
Good side that.

On Protheroe, I've really enjoyed watching him but I don't think he would be afforded the space in the international game. I hope I am wrong but he has a bit of the Matthew Morgan about him.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Good side that.

On Protheroe, I've really enjoyed watching him but I don't think he would be afforded the space in the international game. I hope I am wrong but he has a bit of the Matthew Morgan about him.

Yes he is an exciting runner but very small. Genuine gas can make up for all sorts of other issues. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:19pm

Good side that.

Yes, Prothero seems to me to be a Dan Evans type of player - quality regional player who’ll be there all season but isn’t quite good enough for international honours. Would love to be proved wrong however as even though our FBs are quite strong we can never have too many.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Good side that.

Yes, Prothero seems to me to be a Dan Evans type of player - quality regional player who’ll be there all season but isn’t quite good enough for international honours. Would love to be proved wrong however as even though our FBs are quite strong we can never have too many.

Dan was very unlucky to be around at the same time as Liam & Leigh. He has an excellent regional career proving a very reliable performer & extremely durable. Protheroe at 24 is the first of a new era and looks to be an exciting talent. If he's good enough or indeed big enough time will tell but he doesn't have the challengers in his position that Dan has had every step of the way.Indeed the future Welsh FB cupboard is pretty bare. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:33pm
I'd go (but I know pivac won't)

halfpenny 15 (liam will be banned) north foxy jonny w lrz biggar t Williams

wyn ken (supposed to be almost fit) francis

awj beard

botham tips and toby f

bench

rob ifan p will griff  hill wainwright Cawdor j evans j adams

if naividi is fit 'd have him at 6 ,  big argument for dropping foxy playing Roberts 12 and jonny at 13 but I'd give him a few games to see if he can find his form

Edited by RR1972 - 11 January 2021 at 12:39pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 12:38pm

Good side that.

He is great to watch lovely balance and prepared to back himself, I agree with others not test level but good recruitment for the ospreys for once

they'll get far more value for him than we will for liam this season
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Good side that.

He is great to watch lovely balance and prepared to back himself, I agree with others not test level but good recruitment for the ospreys for once

they'll get far more value for him than we will for liam this season

They already have RR!!!!! 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 10:34am
Lets hope that Wayne Pivac will learn his lesson about playing people with little or no rugby/form. He was quite open when leaving George North out that he needed games. Result George has started to show glimpses of his old self and delighting his coaches with his all round play & eagerness to get involved. Well done to George. He will be pushing Foxy, & Josh Adams for their shirts come Ireland if selection is based on current form.

If he has learnt the lessons then Liam, Navidi & Moriarty should not make the squad until they show they are back to form. Ireland & Scotland away is no place to try to find form. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 10:46am
I think there will be quite a few surprises (inclusions and omissions).

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Yes Wil I have been thinking that now the nearer it gets. What do think about starting Tomos & Jarrod against Ireland? Am I getting over excited by just one game? At least with Leigh at FB there won't be so much pressure on his goalkicking. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes Wil I have been thinking that now the nearer it gets. What do think about starting Tomos & Jarrod against Ireland? Am I getting over excited by just one game? At least with Leigh at FB there won't be so much pressure on his goalkicking. 

Williams and Evans must be tried out as a combination at some point before 2023. Sheedy did not impress in the Autumn in my opinion and came at the expense of Jarrod Evans getting more minutes at that level.

Tomos is the best all round 9 Wales currently has, Cawdor has his X-factor moments but can be prone to producing slow ball and inaccurate kicks. 

Given a platform Williams & Evans could be quite special - with Biggar and Cawdor off the bench. I’d hope that’s what Pivac’s thinking of trying out this 6N
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 12:21pm
I have to say it’s quite funny that three of the “form” players getting talked about in Wales at the moment are North, Roberts and Lydiate. 

Gatland must be thrilled!
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I have to say it’s quite funny that three of the “form” players getting talked about in Wales at the moment are North, Roberts and Lydiate. 

Gatland must be thrilled!

when you put it like that!LOL
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I think Jarrod Evans is definitely worth trying, I was surprised he was not involved in the Autumn series and he showed last weekend (unfortunately for us) what he could do andmaybe Tomos Williams as well although I don't think there is that much between all if the 9's , they can all be good or terribleon their day.
saundersfoot scarlets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic