Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby selling out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Your broadband costs are high there doc! 

See if you can roll your netflix into your Sky package as they offer a new package which includes Netflix through the Sky Box.

Good advice, ta. We had a deal that recently expired you see and haven't had the time to deal with it. If you want the high speed stuff most broadband deals seem to be 30 or so.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

See if you can roll your netflix into your Sky package as they offer a new package which includes Netflix through the Sky Box.

Good advice, ta. We had a deal that recently expired you see and haven't had the time to deal with it. If you want the high speed stuff most broadband deals seem to be 30 or so.

Always worth 'leaving' Sky if you're out of your initial term & they will often give you between 40-60% off when you call to cancel. I called yesterday as it goes & they reduced my price from £40 a month to £28.

Also see if your mobile phone provider does home broadband as they are all offering decent deals.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:19am

Always worth 'leaving' Sky if you're out of your initial term & they will often give you between 40-60% off when you call to cancel. I called yesterday as it goes & they reduced my price from £40 a month to £28.

Also see if your mobile phone provider does home broadband as they are all offering decent deals.

Exactly, 30-50 as I said. Even if on their "deals". This wasn't there in the TV era and is before you choose what TV package you want. I'm Virgin and think they are excellent but will try and "leave" them to get another deal.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:32am

Exactly, 30-50 as I said. Even if on their "deals". This wasn't there in the TV era and is before you choose what TV package you want. I'm Virgin and think they are excellent but will try and "leave" them to get another deal.

Virgin is the dream! It'll be nigh on another 10 years before they reach me down west LOLLOLLOL
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:59am
There's not much live Golf, speedway, rugby league, ice hockey, fishing etc on free to air TV compared to SKY / BT / Premier sports. Have those sports sold out too?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

There's not much live Golf, speedway, rugby league, ice hockey, fishing etc on free to air TV compared to SKY / BT / Premier sports. Have those sports sold out too?
I realise that you have to pay these days but my problem is having to pay different companies for different entities of the same product.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:17am
Love to see the 6N on terrestrial TV, but the again I loved the BBC coverage of cricket, footie and a stack of other stuff....

It's the way of the world, and you either get on or die.

It really is as stark as that.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I realise that you have to pay these days but my problem is having to pay different companies for different entities of the same product.

Exactly, it all adds up and we're paying a lot more now. But in fact we're also getting a lot more. This discussion does come down to people being asked to pay for something they feel they are getting for free at present - or moving to a different subscription package from the one they current have, if you like. 

As I said, you can argue it makes sense from a business point of view and it is the way of the world but I stick by my comment we're not fans but consumers now. A large part of sport for me is some form of attachment to my hometown club or home country (or Pittsburgh teams lol) and seeing local boys become our best players is awesome. Judging from football, there'll be far less of this. If I'm in a non-paying minority then my opinion is worth exactly what I pay: nothing, zilch, nadda.

But the trend is obvious from amateurism (before my time) to professionalism. Wil is sort of right that you can't fight it which invites fatalism BUT there are actually conscious decisions being made here on directions the way of the world takes, it is just not us making them and is usually very rich corporations. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 1:55pm

You've done well to hang on to it for this long fair play !
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 1:59pm

Exactly, it all adds up and we're paying a lot more now. But in fact we're also getting a lot more. This discussion does come down to people being asked to pay for something they feel they are getting for free at present - or moving to a different subscription package from the one they current have, if you like. 

As I said, you can argue it makes sense from a business point of view and it is the way of the world but I stick by my comment we're not fans but consumers now. A large part of sport for me is some form of attachment to my hometown club or home country (or Pittsburgh teams lol) and seeing local boys become our best players is awesome. Judging from football, there'll be far less of this. If I'm in a non-paying minority then my opinion is worth exactly what I pay: nothing, zilch, nadda.

But the trend is obvious from amateurism (before my time) to professionalism. Wil is sort of right that you can't fight it which invites fatalism BUT there are actually conscious decisions being made here on directions the way of the world takes, it is just not us making them and is usually very rich corporations. 

As can be seen with the fall out with the Capitol invasion in DC, rich corporations are even controlling free speech now. 

Personally I think inciting violence should not be tolerated on any platform, so to that end banning Trump was the correct decision, but where do you draw the line, and more importantly who should be drawing that line ??
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

As can be seen with the fall out with the Capitol invasion in DC, rich corporations are even controlling free speech now. 

That's a ridiculous thing to say. It's a private company adhering to it's own terms and conditions.

The President of the USA has the worlds press at his fingertips to put himself on the news any time he wants to call a press conference!

Anyway this is way off topic.

Edited by KID A - 13 January 2021 at 2:03pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 5:42pm

I just don't get it. 50 million quid coming in to Welsh rugby and people are moaning that they won't get Jiffy screeching on BBC.

Totally agree. Yes it’s not ideal but if it goes on BT, Sky or Amazon you don’t have to worry about a 24month contract. You can just sign up for the duration of the tournament then cancel. With Sky buy a Now Tv day pass. There’s loads of ways round it too. Some offer a month free or 7 day trials. (Use a different email each time.) Some you can find cheap codes online and with all of them you can share a log in with a mate. I’d suggest the majority of people watch the games in the pub too. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 6:52pm

Wales will get £50m from this deal which is far more than they will get from the normal deal. 

No more than 3 of each nations matches will be solely behind the paywall & it remains to be seen if S4C will screen Wales matches.

I am actually in support of this as rugby is on it's arse financially especially with the pandemic. The only side of it I am a bit wary of is how grassroots clubs will be able to afford it as for some sides, my own included, the 6 Nations is a big income generator & I worry if they will be able to afford it.
Iirc, the £50m is over 5 years. 

What do we get per year under the expiring deal?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Wales will get £50m from this deal which is far more than they will get from the normal deal. 

No more than 3 of each nations matches will be solely behind the paywall & it remains to be seen if S4C will screen Wales matches.

I am actually in support of this as rugby is on it's arse financially especially with the pandemic. The only side of it I am a bit wary of is how grassroots clubs will be able to afford it as for some sides, my own included, the 6 Nations is a big income generator & I worry if they will be able to afford it.
Iirc, the £50m is over 5 years. 

What do we get per year under the expiring deal?
The £50m is just the WRU’s share of the CVC money. The pay TV deal would be above that, although 14.5% (?) of it would be going straight to CVC.
The current TV deal is valued at £90m, although I’ve no idea if that is per year or over the whole deal. Some reports suggest the new pay TV deal could be as high as £300m, although again I’ve no idea over how long that is.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 8:40pm

I just don't get it. 50 million quid coming in to Welsh rugby and people are moaning that they won't get Jiffy screeching on BBC.

I can’t tell you how hard it will be to get rugby back into public consciousness once the 6N goes behind a paywall.

Whether it’s Amazon, BT or Sky isn’t really the issue - the issue is will be that it’s not free-to-air. 

BBC and ITV literally have millions more viewers for Cash in the Attic and The Chase than Sky do for the Manchester Derby or any other big PL game (let alone BT or Amazon’s which are even smaller)

Cricket went behind a paywall a decade ago and the ECB has had to INVENT A NEW FORMAT of the game to try and get it back into public consciousness. Almost all cricket fans are against “the Hundred” and it’s a very expensive £39m bet to see if it works.

The loss of the sport in the public consciousness has long-term financial implications as well as social implications. 

With the issues around concussion atm the sport really can’t afford to become less desirable to pick up and play - for every parent that doesn’t want their kid to play rugby there’s currently a kid arguing back because he wants to be the next Itoje, Sexton, Hogg or Tipuric.

Awareness and Fame is so powerful - rugby neglects it at its own peril.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:42pm
I already know many people in Llanelli who struggle to watch the Scarlets,because  they can't afford to.This is no surprise:Wales is a poor place,among the poorest in Western Europe.The national sport will now be taken further away from the poor,especially the children of the poor:that can't be good for the future of the game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic