Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dwayne Peel.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dwayne Peel.
    Posted: 13 January 2021 at 9:08am
As I am in a bit of limbo with no predictions to wade through etc etc I got to thinking about Dwayne. When it was announced that he was to become attack coach for the Blues under Mulvihill I thought it a strange move & that, behind the scenes, it had been decided not to renew Mulvihill & that Peel would become numero uno. 

Now with the appointment of Dai Young that appears incorrect. Do any other fellow posters think we may have missed a chance here in getting back one of own to take over coaching our current pretty toothless attack.? Surely none would argue that he would be a vast improvement. 

On a related theme does anyone foresee Stevo returning to us next season if, of course, Pivac & he are let go when the release clause clicks in? 
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 9:12am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

As I am in a bit of limbo with no predictions to wade through etc etc I got to thinking about Dwayne. When it was announced that he was to become attack coach for the Blues under Mulvihill I thought it a strange move & that, behind the scenes, it had been decided not to renew Mulvihill & that Peel would become numero uno. 

Now with the appointment of Dai Young that appears incorrect. Do any other fellow posters think we may have missed a chance here in getting back one of own to take over coaching our current pretty toothless attack.? Surely none would argue that he would be a vast improvement. 

On a related theme does anyone foresee Stevo returning to us next season if, of course, Pivac & he are let go when the release clause clicks in? 
As much as i loved stevo as a player the last season with us and his time with wales so far doesn't fill me with confidence.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 9:13am
Dai Young is DOR I think, which leaves a space for a head coach, which may be Peel. Still a step up I suppose.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 9:15am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

As much as i loved stevo as a player the last season with us and his time with wales so far doesn't fill me with confidence.

Well every player has his loss of form so I would give him some credit in the bank. Both Stevo & Dwayne are part of our great history both served with distinction in contributing to our brand. They have both gone away and made reputations for themselves. I currently would take either. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Dai Young is DOR I think, which leaves a space for a head coach, which may be Peel. Still a step up I suppose.

I missed that Gate 12 - cheers. A head coach role would make more sense else why would he move down in quality of team for the same role unless, of course, he and/or his family were missing home. Anyway Blues gain is our loss methinks. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 9:28am
I don't think they've said anything in that respect (about Peel) but as per initial suspicions I wouldn't be surprised if it was always on the cards.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:51am
I may be wrong here, but wasn't Dwayne announced as assistant head coach ? 

At that time Mulvihill was still in post. If I am correct about Dwayne's announcement, then they could hardly announce him as Head Coach with Mulvihill still there.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:24am
I get confused what does a dor do that a head coach doesn't ?
I take it he is more involved in player recruitment and coach recruitment?

What will peel do differently as head coach to backs coach?

In effect who picks the team and the tactics head coach or dor?

Edited by RR1972 - 13 January 2021 at 11:30am
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I get confused what does a dor do that a head coach doesn't ?

What will peel do differently as head coach to backs coach?

In effect who picks the team and the tactics head coach or dor?
DOR’s tend to focus more on the admin - player contracts, singings, the media e.t.c, while head coaches tend to focus more on the training sessions and tactics. Some clubs will have both while some will only have one or the other. Really what they will do will depend on the individual environment in that club.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:32am
I think perhaps giving the blokes in charge now a chance rather than half a season which has been disrupted like no other. We don’t want to be known as a sacking club.

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I think perhaps giving the blokes in charge now a chance rather than half a season which has been disrupted like no other. We don’t want to be known as a sacking club.

I don’t think that we are known as a sacking club.  The last 3 head coaches have all left for the international rugby arena.  If my memory serves me right, the last head coach to be sacked was Phil Davies in 2007/08.
Flannigan has been afforded more time as a backs coach than most of his predecessors with the exception of Nigel Davies and has had an abundance of talent at his disposal but we have probably the worst performing backline of any of the regions (which really hurts someone who has watched the scarlets since the early 80s).
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 1:02pm
At this point in the season we've suffered as much disruption as everybody else,and only Zebre and Edinburgh have scored less tries than us.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 13 January 2021 at 1:02pm
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 7:24pm
I was hoping we’d bring Peel back here. 

It doesn’t sit well with me that we haven’t got a former club hero anywhere in the coaching lineup. I’m all for bringing in the best coaching talent we can, but I think having a club legend who has been there and done it in the jersey, can speak about what the club stands for and what it means to the supporters is a valuable asset. Tapping into that history and emotion would benefit the present day team, IMO. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic