Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tevita Ratuva joins french club Brive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

A series of departure announcements in a short period of time is just that.

The other regions will be shedding players in due course, like any pro sport really.

We have perennially kept our proverbial powder dry on recruitment and retention, nothing bad comes from that approach really, other than it does heat the blood up of the support base of course.

This all day long, for previous years panic stations see Boyde, Baldwin, Price, Owen Williams, Jordan, Earle, Barclay (harsh but rarely played after leaving), Sanjay (replaced by 1/2p who's been great for us), Parkes (replaced by Johnny Williams), Rhodri Jones (replaced by Kruger, again great for us), Collins (replaced by Jmac), Welch (replaced by Ball) etc. etc.

Arguable even guys like North, Ben Morgan and Beirne haven't reached their expected heights (yet in Beirne's case as still early days).

Guys like Turnbull and Dan Thomas have gone on to play a lot of good rugby elsewhere, but again up for debate whether we've missed them.

We move on.

Yes Gate 12 you are right. It is a professional sport and we cannot keep everyone happy. Of those mentioned if I had just one guy that we could reverse the decision, clearly with the huge benefit of hindsight, it would be Josh Turnbull. 
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:07am
Genuine q here

why are so secretive about who we are signing and releasing , we have seen players announced as leaving or coming on the forum months before we get official confirmation

We seem to be the most reluctant of any region to announce these comings and goings

Any reason why?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:08am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The other regions will be shedding players in due course, like any pro sport really.

We have perennially kept our proverbial powder dry on recruitment and retention, nothing bad comes from that approach really, other than it does heat the blood up of the support base of course.

This all day long, for previous years panic stations see Boyde, Baldwin, Price, Owen Williams, Jordan, Earle, Barclay (harsh but rarely played after leaving), Sanjay (replaced by 1/2p who's been great for us), Parkes (replaced by Johnny Williams), Rhodri Jones (replaced by Kruger, again great for us), Collins (replaced by Jmac), Welch (replaced by Ball) etc. etc.

Arguable even guys like North, Ben Morgan and Beirne haven't reached their expected heights (yet in Beirne's case as still early days).

Guys like Turnbull and Dan Thomas have gone on to play a lot of good rugby elsewhere, but again up for debate whether we've missed them.

We move on.

Yes Gate 12 you are right. It is a professional sport and we cannot keep everyone happy. Of those mentioned if I had just one guy that we could reverse the decision, clearly with the huge benefit of hindsight, it would be Josh Turnbull. 

Josh adams is one looking back we should have kept
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Rowlands to the Dragons is not a done deal by all accounts, a few Dragons fans seem resigned to him coming to us following this development.  
Yes it is
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Genuine q here

why are so secretive about who we are signing and releasing , we have seen players announced as leaving or coming on the forum months before we get official confirmation

We seem to be the most reluctant of any region to announce these comings and goings

Any reason why?

Some teams are driven by a distant hope rather than the hear and now, personally as long as things are moving behind the scenes I'd rather we focus on Champions Cup qualification (now that only the top team in the league has a chance at league silverware) and this years Champions Cup.

We are only half way through the season after all.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:17am

We move on.

Yeah agree, not been a fan of his attitude in games since he became established mind.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:17am

We move on.

You know what I didn't even know Josh was local, I first noticed him when he was at Worcester. Amazing the talent that has come through our system.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:23am
I’m not bothered about timings of announcements but the quality Peers and King are just not good enough 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

The problem,of course,is that there hasn't been a series of departure announcements by the club.Ball apart,we have found out from media sources that two  players have decided they don't want to play for the Scarlets.The club hasn't said anything.In the podcast featuring Muderak(link provided on another thread)the Chairman stated,when asked about the story in the Rugby Paper on Sunday,that he had not had any contact with JacMorgan.If nothing else,the club have not managed the news well on this occasion.

The Scarlets advised Ball and Ratuva's departure simultaneously with it being released in the press and other outlets. All on the website.

No club has confirmed the Jac Morgan arrival or exit. It's in the media only.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:30am
We have had reasonable success in bringing in guys to support the squad when injuries and call ups hit. They want to stay in the game, we can offer that at affordable levels. It doesn't always work out ( see Tom James, Aled Brew perhaps), but it is a low risk investment.

Guys like Prydie, Kris Phillips, Tom Williams, Tom Grabham, Marc Jones, Phil Price and others have added value over the years.

I'm not sure James King is any different as a value proposition and decent squad cover tbh..

Edited by Wil Chips - 14 January 2021 at 10:31am
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:35am
as 157 said somewhere you never see the scarlets being linked to any osprey player who is up and coming,a first team player or someone who hasn't suffered from injuries,it's like tyler morgan long term injured we sign him then we don't play him until we have to,in depressing times news like this week don't help the spirits.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:36am

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

how do you know its a 26 year old South African monster GPR? Wink
if we could get a player in the same ilk as Sione we would be very lucky

Just dreaming turkishrebel. My wife has told me that she is a little concerned when I start dreaming about people like Etzebeth as opposed to BeyonceConfused

Great Reply GPR LOLLOLLOLLOL  getting to that age that i cant remember who Beyonce is 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

If they getting Jac and we having the dross of Peers and King I be fuming that’s awful business and indicates serious money problems to me. 
No money worries as yet.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 6:10am
Well, yes there are money worries.

Everyone is getting a fraction of their normal WRU support/funding.

We are just managing it well.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

If they getting Jac and we having the dross of Peers and King I be fuming that’s awful business and indicates serious money problems to me. 
No money worries as yet.
Yep some people are getting ridiculous on here. Off the field Scarlets are in a better position than Ospreys
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:39am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

No money worries as yet.
Yep some people are getting ridiculous on here. Off the field Scarlets are in a better position than Ospreys

Steff this week we had the perfect storm - a poor defeat followed by further news of a player leaving along with an announcement of a signing by our nearest and dearest. Things will settle down when we get some good news.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic