FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academy products for the future

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mark in sydney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Academy products for the future
    Posted: 17 January 2021 at 4:20am
Just can’t compare NZ or SA to Wales in terms of player development 

Very different structures. The current Mitre10 cup in Nz was the old NPC / ITM cup ran for all the union districts in NZ bit like we had the Merit table for clubs.

When super rugby appeared both NZ and Sa wanted to keep their local provincial cup ..Currie Cup in SA... for player development and tradition / local support outside of Super rugby teams 

The normal non COVID seasons mean that the Mitre 10 and Currie cup run after the super rugby season finished after 3 to 4 months Feb to June, then they play the old 3 nations now called the Championship with the Argies added .. 3 months Aug To oct .... big difference to Pro 14....and Sais / Frogs comp structures and traditions 

What this means is that super rugby players not in the AB or Boks squads play in M10 and CC .. tv coverage and sponsorship follows as they have a mix of Super rugby, international players and youngsters coming through ..

Comparing apples and pears ....unless we see a number of Scarlet first choice players turning out for Llanelli on a regular basis but as both comps run at the same time !!!...
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by trinity60 trinity60 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

An A league is a must if we want to develop these players into 1st team regulars. A blend of youth and experience would be a perfect recipe for a successful A league
Absolutely. The Welsh Premiership isn’t fit for purpose in this regard 

Sorry I don’t agree the Welsh Prem isn’t fit for purpose.

Many of the Our current pack have come through the prem... Javan, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Ken Owens, Ryan Elias, Rawlings, Josh Helps, Shingler, Cubby, Macloed  Jac Morgan and Dan Davies to name a few. 

The Welsh Prem has done well for us.

I do agree if an A league is set up it should defo have many experienced players in it. No point in a 21 year old props for example playing against each other week in week out.

Coming up against experienced props, 2nd rows etc is a must for development. 

Maybe allowing half the match day squad to be over the age of 23 or 25 if clubs wish to have an older match day squad. Give them the option.

I would hate to see is a basically under 23 league, stacked full of youngsters, basically playing age grade rugby and not being exposed to many experienced bullies. 
The vast majority of pro players and coaches I’ve spoken to would agree that the jump between Premiership and Pro14 is far too high. People at the pro clubs have been pushing for some form of regional A league for years. The Premiership should be top of the community game, I don’t think it’s got a future as part of the pro game.

You say all those players played Prem rugby which is a fact yes but they were all developed by the Scarlets. It’s a total misnomer to say Wyn Jones was prepared for pro rugby by playing for Llandovery. He spent a good few years in the Scarlets squad getting himself ready for pro rugby because the Welsh Prem doesn’t do that. In NZ a Super Rugby coach would have no hesitation in throwing a player fresh from Mitrea 10 Cup straight into a Super Rugby match. Wouldn’t happen over here.

I don’t mean this in a disrespectful way but with regards your comment “coming up against experienced props etc is a must.” How on earth would a young up and coming player learn to become a pro by scrummaging against carpenters and plumbers? It’s ludicrous! These guys need to be in a professional environment playing against the likes of Leinster A and Munster A.

No doubt I’ll get criticised for being disrespectful etc but somebody’s got to say it. What we’ve got at the moment isn’t fit for purpose. The gap needs to be bridged and this is a wonderful opportunity to improve the transition between being a promising academy player to becoming a fully fledged professional player.

I totally agree with you, playing against regional A teams would be more beneficial for development.
The only negative is that we will have less players being exposed at a higher level. 
With the Welsh Premiership we had the 3 feeder teams exposing players but at a lower standard. 
It would be good if the premiership could become a feeder to the regional A teams. 
Are you sure? It's not as if every player in Quins, Drovers and Llanelli was a potential or contracted Scarlets player
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
trinity60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinity60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2021 at 5:53pm

An A league is a must if we want to develop these players into 1st team regulars. A blend of youth and experience would be a perfect recipe for a successful A league

Many of the Our current pack have come through the prem... Javan, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Ken Owens, Ryan Elias, Rawlings, Josh Helps, Shingler, Cubby, Macloed  Jac Morgan and Dan Davies to name a few. 

I do agree if an A league is set up it should defo have many experienced players in it. No point in a 21 year old props for example playing against each other week in week out.

Maybe allowing half the match day squad to be over the age of 23 or 25 if clubs wish to have an older match day squad. Give them the option.

I would hate to see is a basically under 23 league, stacked full of youngsters, basically playing age grade rugby and not being exposed to many experienced bullies. 
The vast majority of pro players and coaches I’ve spoken to would agree that the jump between Premiership and Pro14 is far too high. People at the pro clubs have been pushing for some form of regional A league for years. The Premiership should be top of the community game, I don’t think it’s got a future as part of the pro game.

You say all those players played Prem rugby which is a fact yes but they were all developed by the Scarlets. It’s a total misnomer to say Wyn Jones was prepared for pro rugby by playing for Llandovery. He spent a good few years in the Scarlets squad getting himself ready for pro rugby because the Welsh Prem doesn’t do that. In NZ a Super Rugby coach would have no hesitation in throwing a player fresh from Mitrea 10 Cup straight into a Super Rugby match. Wouldn’t happen over here.

I don’t mean this in a disrespectful way but with regards your comment “coming up against experienced props etc is a must.” How on earth would a young up and coming player learn to become a pro by scrummaging against carpenters and plumbers? It’s ludicrous! These guys need to be in a professional environment playing against the likes of Leinster A and Munster A.

No doubt I’ll get criticised for being disrespectful etc but somebody’s got to say it. What we’ve got at the moment isn’t fit for purpose. The gap needs to be bridged and this is a wonderful opportunity to improve the transition between being a promising academy player to becoming a fully fledged professional player.

I totally agree with you, playing against regional A teams would be more beneficial for development.
The only negative is that we will have less players being exposed at a higher level. 
With the Welsh Premiership we had the 3 feeder teams exposing players but at a lower standard. 
It would be good if the premiership could become a feeder to the regional A teams. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 11:02pm

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

One thing I've learned over the years is that rugby politics,like most politics,always promises.Promise better,pretend to care,prove to be a let down.Replacing the Premiership is about money,I'd have thought,nothing else:or not much,anyway.It's about sweeping up the sponsorship and any other capital that currently finds its way to the likes of Merthyr,Ponty,Bridgend,or wherever else.Don't think it has much to do with the game itself.

This is total rubbish
Welcome to the bin.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 15 January 2021 at 11:03pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

One thing I've learned over the years is that rugby politics,like most politics,always promises.Promise better,pretend to care,prove to be a let down.Replacing the Premiership is about money,I'd have thought,nothing else:or not much,anyway.It's about sweeping up the sponsorship and any other capital that currently finds its way to the likes of Merthyr,Ponty,Bridgend,or wherever else.Don't think it has much to do with the game itself.
This is total rubbish
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 10:09pm
Ulster A 37 Leinster A 12 today and match available on BBC I player. Warning there is quite a long lead into the actual match. This will illustrate the benefit of Academies developing players. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 10:03pm

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 15 January 2021 at 10:08pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 9:20pm

I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:46pm
Think we should throw in a few names with no bearing in reality just to fool WOL
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:37pm

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:22pm

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:17pm
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:07pm
There's a fair few prospects.

Hopefully we can get this British And Irish A League set up sharpish. 

Mathias, Booth, Mccrae, OConnor brothers, Jac Price, Breeze, Tuipolotu, Land, Costellow, Knott, Roberts, Rogers, Conbeer, Lewis etc.... Theres a fair few that need game time. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 5:46pm

Eddie James a 18-19 year old centre standing at 6ft 2 ish and over 14 stone, looks a big talent for the future from Carmarthen Quins and Coleg Sir Gar.

I have seen quite a bit of him last 2 years, great distribution off both hands, glides through gaps and can kick a ball a country mile. 

Hopefully he can be a big breakthrough player for us during the future, along with Osian Knott.

Excellent news - thanks. 
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 5:38pm
Eddie James a 18-19 year old centre standing at 6ft 2 ish and over 14 stone, looks a big talent for the future from Carmarthen Quins and Coleg Sir Gar.

I have seen quite a bit of him last 2 years, great distribution off both hands, glides through gaps and can kick a ball a country mile. 

Hopefully he can be a big breakthrough player for us during the future, along with Osian Knott.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic