Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh Team for N.Z Game Named

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welsh Team for N.Z Game Named
    Posted: 01 November 2005 at 7:03pm

Gareth Thomas, Morgan, Taylor, Sweeney, Williams, Stephen Jones, Phillips, Duncan Jones, Mefin Davies, Adam Jones, billybain, Sidoli, Jonathan Thomas, Owen, Charvis.

No Scarlets in the starting XV.

Sweeney at centre?? Surely not even the best centre at the Dragons? Heck, not even the best centre in his own house!

Sponsored Links

GA PLUM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA PLUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Gareth Thomas, Morgan, Taylor, Sweeney, Williams, Stephen Jones, Phillips, Duncan Jones, Mefin Davies, Adam Jones, billybain, Sidoli, Jonathan Thomas, Owen, Charvis.

No Scarlets in the starting XV.

Sweeney at centre?? Surely not even the best centre at the Dragons? Heck, not even the best centre in his own house!

And up against one of the best centre's in the world. Very worrying, i would have gone with Taylor and Parker!

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 7:29pm
sixy pointer there then......
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Sant View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 7:35pm
I wonder how many of this team would be picked to play for the Scarlets first choice side?
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 8:12pm

It's not the total omission of Scarlets that irritates me (after all, our FB is on the bench, our International winger has only played a few games in 2 years, our IC, SH, second rows and Easterby are not eligible whilst Daf Jones, Matthew Rees and Peel are either injured or just back) but the fact that playing Sweeney at centre is a kick in the teeth for the other Welsh qualified centres  - i.e. Matthew J!!!

Then again, this is exactly why we've gone for the overseas option. Not much there to deflect from the domestic game. That'll mean a nice month rest for the majority of the squad.

Edited by Abbey
ScarletHeart View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 8:27pm
wouldnt it be so hilarious if after NZ do the Haka, Wales all line up and it looks like their gonna do the Haka as well....but then they all start doing the Ricky Gervais dance off the Office! I'd die laughing!!

[IMG]
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 8:38pm
starting sweeney at centre is a huge mistake imo. i'd have been haapier with byrne at full back and gareth thomas at centre.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Pan handle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"These gloves are sh*t, man."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan handle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 8:50pm

1 Scarlet in the 22, things have really changed over the last couple of years.

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 10:02pm

you cant say that mun! we would have had peel and daf in if they`d have been fit. byrne is unlucky, as is mjw, who although hasn`t been in great form, is a far better player than sweeney.

our boys will have a rest. but saying that, if we get tonked, expect a few of our boys in for the second test.

TonduTurk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 10:16am

It's not the total omission of Scarlets that irritates me (after all, our FB is on the bench, our International winger has only played a few games in 2 years, our IC, SH, second rows and Easterby are not eligible whilst Daf Jones, Matthew Rees and Peel are either injured or just back) but the fact that playing Sweeney at centre is a kick in the teeth for the other Welsh qualified centres  - i.e. Matthew J

sweeney is playing inside centre and mathew is an outside centre
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 8:45pm

Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

It's not the total omission of Scarlets that irritates me (after all, our FB is on the bench, our International winger has only played a few games in 2 years, our IC, SH, second rows and Easterby are not eligible whilst Daf Jones, Matthew Rees and Peel are either injured or just back) but the fact that playing Sweeney at centre is a kick in the teeth for the other Welsh qualified centres  - i.e. Matthew J

I hear and understand what you are saying but IC or OC it doesn't alter anything really. If Sweeney isn't good enough for the OH berth, he shouldn't be there at all. Would anyone play a goalkeeper at centre forward just because he was too good to leave out? I could just repeat my rant against Taylor, who wasn't considered good enough at Stradey last year - let alone Wales. It's just getting pedantic - or do you agree that Sweeney deserves his place in front of ANY Welsh centre?

To play there against Canada and USA is one thing, but the All Blacks?????????

Edited by Abbey
TonduTurk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 9:35am

Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

I hear and understand what you are saying but IC or OC it doesn't alter anything really. If Sweeney isn't good enough for the OH berth, he shouldn't be there at all. Would anyone play a goalkeeper at centre forward just because he was too good to leave out? I could just repeat my rant against Taylor, who wasn't considered good enough at Stradey last year - let alone Wales. It's just getting pedantic - or do you agree that Sweeney deserves his place in front of ANY Welsh centre?To play there against Canada and USA is one thing, but the All Blacks

my point was that mathew is not an inside centre. his defence is dodgy as an outside centre but if he played inside centre, umaga etc. would be going straight through him all day. he also isn't big enough or strong enough to carry the ball up and break tackles or create gaps which is part of an inside centres role
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 10:08am
Sweeney has been playing IC for the Dragons this season.

Centre is a serious weak link in this team though. Sweeney and Taylor aren't in the same league as Henson and Shanklin. Let’s hope I'm proved wrong on Saturday. They should be strong defensively at least.

MJW isn't good enough IMO. Defensively fragile. Misses too many tackles. I have the smae worries about Byrne. Maybe someone who has seen him more the me can comment on his defence.

westwalesdragon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westwalesdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 10:22am
Byrne is good in defence (apart from when he got done by the NEwcastle wing). He puts some big hits in as does Sweeney. Would have been far better of with Byrne FB and GT in centre. Sweeney offers nothing in attack, and he;s not really an extra kicking option is he?
WestWalesDragon

yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 12:30pm
I prefer Gareth Thomas in the back three. He's a great broken field runner.
GA PLUM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA PLUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 6:56pm
Sweeny putting in big hits in the Celtic league isnt the same as putting in a big hit on Tana Umanga!!!

I agree about MJW hes far too inconsistent! His defence is shocking!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic