Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You must be Welsh, and proud of being Wel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Octopus Bust Hands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commissioner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You must be Welsh, and proud of being Wel
    Posted: 07 November 2005 at 10:11pm

if you are proud being welsh go to Not English.com

Sponsored Links

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by commissioner commissioner wrote:

if you are proud being welsh go to Not English.com

I've just read everything on that site and it's obviously run by some gog who has got pi55ed off with everything and blames the english for everything....

There is a lot wrong with this country.. one being the mentality of the majority of people on sickness benefit, who think that the job should come to them and not them going looking for the jobs.. take a look at llanelli Dawnpack going over to Poland because local people won't work there.. rather sign on the dole and sit back and drain the country of much needed money....

I tell you what lets blame the English for everything that goes wrong in Wales.. easiest thing to do.. we've been doing it for centuries.........

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 1:04pm

Absolutely pitiful.

What an awful example those people are in promoting what it means to be Welsh.

aran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 1:25pm

Sorry, but did either of you knee-jerk reaction types really *honestly* read the site?

If so, can you quote a single line where it 'blames the English'?

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 1:36pm
I did, not that I needed to as I'm all too aware of the attitudes of people in Cymuned. But calling a website that is supposed to promote a Welsh cause "NotEnglish.com" is quite pitiful and pretty much sums them up.
aran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 1:48pm

Sorry, let me try again - can you quote a single line where it 'blames the English'?

Or are you just peddling easy stereotypes?

sir fonyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sir fonyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 10:47pm
i just been on it and their is nothing anti english its all about making a better future for wales, dont jump to conclusons people!  o and salmidachi or whatever why must it be some p****d of GOG?!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sir fonyn
sir fonyns am buth!
!!!!! ....... old people scare me! hi im barry scott and this is cilit bang ! wooh !
tisiphone View Drop Down
Burn, baby, burn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tisiphone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 12:22am
How come expressively asking people not to vote make a difference to the situation to the country? Absolutely ridiculous. They're activists, nothing more.
Swansea Osprey
aran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 9:22am

Originally posted by tisiphone tisiphone wrote:

How come expressively asking people not to vote make a difference to the situation to the country? Absolutely ridiculous. They're activists, nothing more.

Well, as Billy Bragg sang, 'you can be active with the activists or sleeping with the sleepers...'

But you've misinterpreted the business about voting - again, can you quote me a line where it asks people not to vote?  No - because it doesn't.  It recognises the fact that increasing numbers of people are disillusioned with government, and offers an argument why even (or especially) people who are disillusioned with government should get involved with practical community projects.

Do you think people shouldn't get involved with community work?

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 9:47am
i don't need to be a member or supporter of cymuned to be proud of my country and heritage.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

aran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 10:19am

Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

i don't need to be a member or supporter of cymuned to be proud of my country and heritage.

Good God, of course you don't!

Cymuned's only got a couple of thousand members - if that was the sum total of Welsh people who are proud of their country and their heritage, we'd be in a sorry state...

But it's our experience, over and over, that people proud of their country and heritage are the people most likely to join us in running community land trusts, in promoting local business networks, and in pushing for political change.

So that's why we try to talk to them, and that's why we think we should be doing more work in the South.

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 11:28am

Originally posted by sir fonyn sir fonyn wrote:

i just been on it and their is nothing anti english its all about making a better future for wales, dont jump to conclusons people!  o and salmidachi or whatever why must it be some p****d of GOG?!!!!!!!!!

Just look at their headquarters in Gwynedd and this party is only for welsh-speaking Wales, which has a minority population. Just in case you didn't know, most of the population of wales is in the valleys, swansea, Cardiff and Newport, primarily english speaking Wales.

So this activist is distancing itself from the majority of Wales.. good idea hey....

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 11:30am

Just look at the title of the website.. not english so you must be welsh.. last I heard there were 2 other countries in the united kingdom who aren't english....

aran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 11:57am
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Just look at their headquarters in Gwynedd and this party is only for welsh-speaking Wales, which has a minority population. Just in case you didn't know, most of the population of wales is in the valleys, swansea, Cardiff and Newport, primarily english speaking Wales.

So this activist is distancing itself from the majority of Wales.. good idea hey....

That's actually quite funny - who do you think NotEnglish.com is aimed at?  Welsh-speakers?!

You seem determined to base your arguments on what you've already decided are the facts, instead of considering the available evidence. 

Yup, it's a fair point that you can be Not English and also Not Welsh - but those aren't the people that NotEnglish.com is aimed at.  We're in the process of developing further websites to build on the support that we're already receiving from people in England and America - NotEnglish.com is about increasing our presence outside of the Fro Gymraeg.

You'll be glad to hear that it's going very well so far!

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by aran aran wrote:

Sorry, let me try again - can you quote a single line where it 'blames the English'?

Or are you just peddling easy stereotypes?

I didn't say there was content within the site that directly 'blames the English' did I?

As I said - I just think it's very very sad and embarrassing that a website that is set up to promote a pride in being Welsh is called "Not English.com".

Edited by Mike
aran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

I didn't say there was content within the site that directly 'blames the English' did I?

As I said - I just think it's very very sad and embarrassing that a website that is set up to promote a pride in being Welsh is called "Not English.com".

ps - you just using 'aran' for this topic and use other log-ins for general chat? Apologies if I'm wrong but it seems strange that your only 5 posts on this site are on this thread.

Fair enough - if the domain name is your only complaint, I can see why some people would react negatively.  It's a teaser - current stats suggest that a whole load more people are likely to visit NotEnglish.com than would have visited CommunityWorkinCymru.com!  We thought (and still think) that once people actually read the site, they would see that it isn't in any way based on anti-English sentiment.

The response to the domain name in Caerdydd on Saturday (we were distributing flyers outside the Owain Glyndwr) was extremely warm - everyone seemed to get the tongue-in-cheek element, and we had a good number of English people in the queue to have photos taken of themselves in front of the banner (photos on www.cymuned.net/blogsaesneg).  Sometimes, we Welsh can be a little over-paranoid about the lighter elements of cross-border humour - it's understandable, because political responses are so often heavy-handed, and political correctness is rife.  But sometimes it's good to take the [beep] a little...;-)

Seriously, if you think that Cymuned is about anti-English sentiment, it just proves that government propaganda is that much more powerful than the capacity of a minority group to get media coverage.  We have a good number of English members, for heaven's sake!  I'm half-English myself...

And no - I use 'aran' for this thread because my name is Aran!  I haven't posted on any other threads - I only found out about this forum because people were clicking on the link in the first message, so it came up in the referrer stats for NotEnglish.com.

Not that I blame you for being wary...;-)

Evel-se eman ar bed: a-dreuz hag ar hed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic