Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stevo to Blues..Scarlets..other reports
    Posted: 04 January 2006 at 9:43am

Gutted!!

So much for all the confidence on here!

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyunion/story/0,10069,1677434 ,00.html

Sponsored Links

flossy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:06am

I'm not entirely convinced!  There are no quotes or statements from Stevo or the Blues.  This story could have been picked up from anywhere.  There were alot of rumours flying around on Monday and some journalist could have picked up on it and run a story.

Although, maybe I just don't want to believe that he would do this to the Scarlets.  Surely we could have found the money from somewhere! 

flossy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:09am
I've also just checked the blues website and there is nothing on there.  If it was true surely they would be throwing it in our faces!
DgembaDgemba View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:32am
nothing on the beeb yet either.  not believing it until its official
The localised condition of planetary atmospheric condensation caused a malfunction in the visual orientation circuits...

Or to put it another way, we got lost in the fog.
Chesswithdeath View Drop Down
Founder
Founder
www.chesswithdeath.com

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:40am
It may well be the case, its an open market at the end of the day - however, I  too am a little dubious for two reasons. Firstly I dont think SJ would be swayed by an increased bid and secondly The Western Mail would have got to this first and rubbed our noses in it.

If i'm wrong, then the rumour mill needs an overhaul big time.
Alan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:40am
I really hope this is wrong..........but there has been a lot of confidence Cardiff way on securing his services.
C'mon you Irons
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:41am

if cardiff have outbid us it is a disaster from a management point of view! i'm not believing anything until confirmed but surely we should have been ahead of cardiff in a bidding war?? i don't like the quote to "late challenge from former club", doesn't sound very convincing.

i never would have thought when we won the celtic league that three seasons later a quarter of our team would be playing for the bloody blues. let alone lomu playing for them.

scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:43am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

if cardiff have outbid us it is a disaster from a management point of view! i'm not believing anything until confirmed but surely we should have been ahead of cardiff in a bidding war?? i don't like the quote to "late challenge from former club", doesn't sound very convincing.

i never would have thought when we won the celtic league that three seasons later a quarter of our team would be playing for the bloody blues. let alone lomu playing for them.

It says they haven't outbid us, we matched the price.

Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:47am
Originally posted by scarlet_rob scarlet_rob wrote:

It says they haven't outbid us, we matched the price.

right sorry should have read it properly! in that case the question of "why would he go to the blues???" (with a hint of desparation in my voice) comes up.

GarP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:51am

I can't believe it either.

If as they say we matched their price then why would he prefer to go to Cardiff..It doesn't make any sense.

If he wants to win cups etc. he'd come back to Stradey not the Cardiff money pit. Plus he'd be playing with Peel and have a far more capable backline to unleash.

Silver lining is that at least one welsh region would have a decent 10..the number currently standing at 0.

Johno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:53am
personaly I hope that Mr S Jones Thinks with his heart and not his pay packet, and remembers that Llanelli had a big part to play in what he is today.
Chesswithdeath View Drop Down
Founder
Founder
www.chesswithdeath.com

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:56am
One thing is for certain, with this in the mainstream press, I cant see us not knowing either way by the end of today.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 10:59am

Looking at everything that's going on. I think that this might be a gamble by the Guardian to try and get a coup.

If this was true, then like other posts have mentioned, Cardiff fans would be on this site blagging about the signing of SJ, also the Western mail's website ICwales would have this plastered on their website. nothing on either and other papers haven't mentioned it or bbc for that instance....

All we can do is wait and see. I do feel however that Stevo will be playing rugby in Wales next season, just for which region we don't know.... I would hope he'd have chosen the Scarlets.....

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 11:00am

It makes no sense from a welsh rugby point of view to have your two strongest international 10 (yes, that's right, robinson is second choice) players at the same club. you have our main "creative" players - robinson, henson, and sweeney all at different clubs. it's obvious where stephen should go then. gives a nice look to things.

whatever i'll wait until i see official news now. definitely caused a panic - must be some deal with the guardian and the drugs industry as i damn near s**t myself.

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 11:02am

It makes no sense from a welsh rugby point of view to have your two strongest international 10 (yes, that's right, robinson is second choice) players at the same club. you have our main "creative" players - robinson, henson, and sweeney all at different clubs. it's obvious where stephen should go then. gives a nice look to things.

whatever i'll wait until i see official news now. definitely caused a panic - must be some deal with the guardian and the drugs industry as i damn near s**t myself.

This then means central contracts are the answer, the only problem with this is, how many times have the WRU helped with paying for a player that ended up going to Cardiff?

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 11:04am
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

This then means central contracts are the answer, the only problem with this is, how many times have the WRU helped with paying for a player that ended up going to Cardiff?

yes, exactly - me stating it makes sense for welsh rugby is actually a contradiction in terms as it actually means the WRU has a hand in things and so help out cardiff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic