Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Other fans, clutching at straws.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Founder
Founder
www.chesswithdeath.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chesswithdeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other fans, clutching at straws.
    Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:05pm
Since the announcement regarding the return of Stephen Jones I notice the volume of anti-Scarlet feeling on other rugby 'forums' has increased 10 fold. Dont get me wrong I take much of it as a compliment as it is clearly fuelled (now more than ever) by pure jealousy.

The latest and most ludicrous angle to have been adopted is that Stradey Park is somehow a dangerous place to go - see SCUMV, SCRUM V etc. Ok if open, flowing rugby and passionate support is frightening then yes - Stradey is hostile as hell, but come on!!! - talk about clutching at straws! We are now the Millwall of Welsh rugby apparently. I really havent  heard so much crap in all my life.

People have decided to stay away from Stradey because it's so dangerous, Im told.

...nothing at all to do with the fact that they'll have to watch their team totally humiliated if they were to make the journey west.

Talk about blinkered and ignorant.
(and thats just me)
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:13pm
As you said it's pure jealousy.

Millwall? he he.

This sot of stuff only makes us more a  more passionate, and more determined set of supporters which in turns allows us to succeed on the pitch. It's no wonder we're the most successful Welsh regionin Europe etc. These people do not learn.

Bring 'em on.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:26pm

LOL... These people make me laugh

These Moronic Idiots (seem to be typing that a lot, when speaking of other fans) who harp on about feeling threatened when coming to stradey, the latest is an Ospreys fan who felt intimidated and feared for their own safety (when did we play them.. wasn't it last APRIL?) funny how it comes out now...

I on the other hand will not grace the scum filled places like Eugene Cross Park or Dave Parade because of the Minority of fans who go there since the demise of Newport AFC from being a top class football team.......

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:29pm

what is classed as hostile? if it means violence i've never seen a fight in all the years i've watched rugby at any ground. banter, yes. sometimes 'nasty' but all forgotten about by the end of the game. if that's what they class as hostile then that really is clutching at straws.

in fact, i've seen more heated arguments between members on this site!

PhilBB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:31pm
In all seriousness, Stradey has a reputation for being unsavoury rather than unsafe. It's not a nice place to go to as an away supporter and that's nothing to do with rivalry or what's happening on the pitch.

Now, you can totally discard my post but there are those amongst you who will support this view.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:38pm

Originally posted by PhilBB PhilBB wrote:

In all seriousness, Stradey has a reputation for being unsavoury rather than unsafe. It's not a nice place to go to as an away supporter and that's nothing to do with rivalry or what's happening on the pitch.

Now, you can totally discard my post but there are those amongst you who will support this view.

define 'unsavoury'

PhilBB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Quagmire Quagmire wrote:

define 'unsavoury'

A level of personal abuse, foul language, some reports of spitting, a lack of effective stewarding, a welcome unlike anyother ground.

I'm not making this up. Your club has issued public statements and written in matchday programmes to this effect. This is the reputation Stradey has amongst other Welsh supporters.
DgembaDgemba View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DgembaDgemba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 4:12pm

I used to love going to away matches in years gone by because of the banter and atmosphere created.  I used to get my fair share of abuse, and as mentioned in a previous thread, even got spat at after a match in ponty. 

But did it stop me going to away games and supporting my club?  NO it made me all the more determined to go.

its funny how only other welsh teams feel the "hostility" i dont hear any of the irish lads complaining

The localised condition of planetary atmospheric condensation caused a malfunction in the visual orientation circuits...

Or to put it another way, we got lost in the fog.
GA PLUM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA PLUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 4:24pm

In all seriousness, Stradey has a reputation for being unsavoury rather
than unsafe. It's not a nice place to go to as an away supporter and
that's nothing to do with rivalry or what's happening on the pitch.

We could say the same about the Arms Park for that matter.

PhilBB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by GA PLUM GA PLUM wrote:

Maybe you could, I don't know. What I do know is that I've never seen any other rugby supporters in Wales talk of CAP in the same way they do of Stradey and I am very confident that Cardiff RFC ltd has not gone to the same steps as Llanelli RFC ltd to discourage home supporters from poor behaviour.

As I said, you can not believe me all you like, but I'm not telling lies here.
GA PLUM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA PLUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 4:31pm

Maybe you could, I don't know. What I do know is that I've never seen
any other rugby supporters in Wales talk of CAP in the same way they do
of Stradey and I am very confident that Cardiff RFC ltd has not gone to
the same steps as Llanelli RFC ltd to discourage home supporters from
poor behaviour.

As I said, you can not believe me all you like, but I'm not telling lies here.

I know a former university mate that had to put up with major abuse from Cardiff rfc fans when you played Northampton in the Heineken Cup a few years back. Id say most clubs have an element of bad behaviour in their crowd and if you dont think Cardiff have then your very naive!!!

PhilBB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 4:33pm

I know a former university mate that had to put up with major abuse from Cardiff rfc fans when you played Northampton in the Heineken Cup a few years back. Id say most clubs have an element of bad behaviour in their crowd and if you dont think Cardiff have then your very naive!!!

Then I would hope to have the opportunity to apologise on behalf of the club to him one day. I've not stated anywhere that I think that this problem is only occuring at Stradey Park, but I would be telling a fib if I claimed that it wasn't more prevelent at Stradey Park. Also, as far as I know, Llanelli RFC ltd are the only ones who have made constant appeals to their customers on this subject.

Please, in all seriousness, Stradey Park does have this reputation and it is widespread throughout Wales and it is, unfortunately, with some justification.
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 5:50pm

i have heard only one such appeal from the powers that be at the club. granted that is one too many, but to pretend stradey is any worse than any other ground in wales is a blinkered observation. earlier you mentioned the welcome at stradey, if you want a recent example of the welcome away fans get at stradey ask the wasps supporters.

The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 8:35pm
There always will be "hostilities" between Welsh regions, there always has been, and as long as I've got a hole in my bum, there will be.. and by hostilities, I mean banter aimed at the opposition team. There was some aimed at the Blues fans recently, and boy did they give it back as well. As has been said, it's all forgotten at the end of the game, handshakes, jokes and even drinks being bought at the end of the game. It's a case of the minority ruining things for the majority. Funny how this topic of Stradey being a horrible place to visit has come up since that disgraced football hooligan made a k*ob of himself in the Blues game.
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
DgembaDgemba View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DgembaDgemba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:54am
i agree pedro.  i love the banter that you get at games.  it wouldnt be the same without it. 
The localised condition of planetary atmospheric condensation caused a malfunction in the visual orientation circuits...

Or to put it another way, we got lost in the fog.
Major Cobbon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Major Cobbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 12:07pm

As a Pontypridd Supporter of many years standing, I have been to all the so called 'First Class' grounds in Wales and personally have never felt intimidated at any of them.

Eugene Cross Park and Stradey have been mentioned earlier but I could not agree. I've travelled to Stradey many times and always been welcomed both during and after matches. Great Clubhouse and good atmosphere.

The most vociferous and one eyed bunch of supporters were up at Pontypool Park in the seventies and early eighties but we had to grin and bear it and I never felt uncomfortable.

Come to grips boys and support you team whoever and wherever they play.

The Major
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic