Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

england name new captain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: england name new captain
    Posted: 04 October 2004 at 2:56pm

Its johnny!

Are you the real radio renegade!?
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 3:32pm
from bbc sports website

Wilkinson to lead England

Jonny Wilkinson has been named as England's new rugby union captain for the three November tests.

The 25-year-old Newcastle Falcons fly-half takes over from Lawrence Dallaglio, who retired five weeks ago.

England's acting head coach Andy Robinson said: "He is a natural leader, holds the respect of the squad and is a formidable talent on the pitch.

"And he consistently demonstrates the energy and commitment I feel is essential to be captain of England."

Robinson added: "There are several players in the squad I would feel comfortable in calling upon to be England captain but for me Jonny is in every way the right player to take on this challenge.

"Captaincy offers a challenging environment for any player, especially following in the footsteps of Lawrence Dallaglio and before him the World Cup captain, Martin Johnson.

"But I am confident Jonny has what it takes to do an outstanding job as we look ahead towards the next Rugby World Cup in France and I look forward to working with him."

Edited by wizard
Boynsmun View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boynsmun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 3:37pm
Interesting! Wonder if it'll be a bit to much pressure for him.
Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 4:29pm
Even though he's been "away" from rugby for quite a few months, he did  look tremendously out of his depth on the weekend, albeit vs a much better Tigers side. He won't be the same captain as Johnson or Dallaglio were; I personally thought that they commanded the side and demanded 100% from each of them. Not saying that Wilkinson won't be respected by his fellow players, but I can't see England being the same sort of team on the pitch as they were when Johnson was at the helm.
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:46pm
dont think he has the "dog" in him to knuckle down when times are hard as the previous captains have been able to do.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by bin laden bin laden wrote:

dont think he has the "dog" in him to knuckle down when times are hard as the previous captains have been able to do.

my thoughts exactly, doesnt look the type that can get a side geared up with some tough pre match talk.  then again wot's he like behind the scenes?
DIXX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
WHAT A KIP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 2:55am

dont think he''ll be success as captain. as bin said, he wont have the dog for when they need it. everyone was terrified of johnson, therefore respected him and gave him 100%. I didnt think that the coke addict was a good captain, but thats just my oppinion. Johnny aint loud enough, aggressive enough.

Something big has happened to england i think for mr coke to retire just having the captaincy, woodward quitting seems strange. But hats off to woodward. He knows that the spine of the england team is finished, so he's finished like he has, on a high. i think they will struggle in 6 nations.

Parc y Scarlets - Where the Wild Roses Grow so Scarlet and Free
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 4:06pm

hes the best player they got now, so would be the only choice that most people would like

Edited by reesdascarlet
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by reesdascarlet reesdascarlet wrote:

hes the best player they got now, so would be the only choice that most people would like

maybe he was the only one to turn up for the interview.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

sospan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 10:10pm
Wounder if mike ruddock interviewed him as well. Think he has talked to everyone else.
Scarletprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 6:54pm
Should have known it wud be him !!!!!!!!
DIXX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
WHAT A KIP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 1:15pm
i know he's the best player, but that doesnt always make a captain. captaincy is all about leadership etc. has he got that? will he still be respected by other team mates?silly question, but thats all everyone goes on about is jonny won the world cup.  theres gotta be one or two players ready stir the camp.after all its a team game.
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 7:45pm
i can't see wilko throwing a hissy fit and not talking to the press (like charvis) if the team get some critisism.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by bin laden bin laden wrote:

Originally posted by reesdascarlet reesdascarlet wrote:

maybe he was the only one to turn up for the interview.

they werent stupid enogh to hold interviews aswel??

dixx, i think he would be an ok captain beacuse he at number 10 has to try and control the game anyway dont he

DIXX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
WHAT A KIP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 12:21am
yes, but thats what every 10 does. thats one of the outside halfs roles. personally, i dont think he has the leadership skills thats all. it could brake him as a player, and could also lose respect very quickly if he doesnt deliver as captain.
swissscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 5:14pm
If I were wilko I would have never accepted captaincy. He's no natural leader on the pitch, just does not have enough steel and character to lead england through this crisis. I can't see him being motivation and inspiration enough for his team mates once the going gets too tough for england.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic