Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time for Changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Changes
    Posted: 09 October 2004 at 7:21pm

After ANOTHER shocking display by the Scarlets, I feel it is time for a change. The only 2 teams we have beaten are very poor Scottish sides. whenever we come up against decent opposition we are just absolutely USELESS.

I think the coaching staff should have to go, they have shown a total inept way of coaching. we have played the same game for the last 3 years. Instead of a petition to let the kids stay on the pitch, how about a petition to remove the coaching staff. As a club we have stagnated beyond the unbelievable. The loss to connacht tonight just goes to show how really bad the team and the coaching staff have become. let's all look forward to the parker pen next season, because that is where we are going to end up..

P.S. Can't wait for the abuse I'm going to get from the rest of the members of this board, because I've called for a change......

Sponsored Links

A.R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 7:28pm

I'm not going to abuse you.

GJ has not become a bad coach overnight. The squad has got older, though.

I think that everyone has underestimated the impact of the loss of Stephen Jones. Remember - when we beat Leicester and Bath (and did well when losing to Leicester at Nottingham and Welford Road), Stephen scored ALL the points. We did not score a single try in those four games. Yet we were within a crossbar of reaching the Heineken Cup Final.

Let's make changes by all account, but where are they going to come from? We were warned that our stand alone stance would come back to haunt us when our squad got too old. Looks like they were right.

Edited by A.R.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 7:37pm

I'm going to break my self-imposed vow of silence to agree with some points that Sgarlet has made. i had decided not to post on this site anymore due to the fact that if you go against the majority you are abused.....

I believe that the scarlets have become so predictable it is unbelievable. we have struggled so much this season. we have made hard work from our two wins. Borders and Edinburgh at times had a chance to win their games against us and in the other games we didn't even get a look in. Yes the squad is getting older but the amount of knock-on's and handling errors is attrocious and this is down to coaching. We kick posession away too often and apart from Dwayne Peel and Matthew J, we don't have a decent back (Garan is getting old now). Just look how the game changed when Mike Phillips came on. we slowed down and got turned over so many times. He should be warming the bench for the semi-pro's and Rhodri Jones and Chris McDonald should be in front of him in the pecking order.

There we go. this is my FINAL posting so you can bring on the abuse as much as you want. Just bring on Toulouse and roll on the 50 pointer against us......

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 8:01pm
 Agree 100%,Sal. Connaght did very little until near the end of the 1st half. We then started to fall apart. Phillips is not performing as a professional player at the moment,but the pack is so ineffective as well. No urgency,poor skill levels. Bois are we sh***e at the moment.
Aled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 8:05pm

Ouch

Agree with most of what has been said. Gareth and the rest of the coaching team have lived on success for too long. The knock ons and dropped passes are down to the lack of skills the players players have lost. I would play Arwel before Bowen any day and agree Mike Phillips needs to take a turn with Llanelli RFC and Finau again did not impress and is so predicable it hurts, He should be not be in the team . Its a sad day for the Scarlets. Perhaps its time some palyers and coaching staff accept they have lost the appetite and are only there for the money, Its becoming very embarrising to work in Jack land and take the ever increasing ridicule that Monday mornings  bring.

tintin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tintin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 8:24pm

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Agree 100%,Sal. Connaght did very little until near the end of the 1st half. We then started to fall apart. Phillips is not performing as a professional player at the moment,but the pack is so ineffective as well. No urgency,poor skill levels. Bois are we sh***e at the moment.

That is not fair on Connaght.Most of the creative play came from them.In the second half there was only one team that wnted the win,and they were playing in green

Delboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 8:29pm
We were very poor yet again.  We can't keep making excuses.  Ball retention is non-existent, tackling is weak and everything is done at snail's pace.  I'm not going to criticise the coaching staff, players etc but something needs to be done to stop the rot.  When plan A doesn't work (which it hasn't all season) we don't have a plan B.  We've become very predictable. Unfortunately I don't have the answers to solve the problems.  I will be at Stradey for the next game and for every other game cheering on the Scarlets but it is very difficult to have a positive outlook at this moment in time.
P Davies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by A.R. A.R. wrote:

I think that everyone has underestimated the impact of the loss of Stephen Jones. Remember - when we beat Leicester and Bath (and did well when losing to Leicester at Nottingham and Welford Road), Stephen scored ALL the points. We did not score a single try in those four games. Yet we were within a crossbar of reaching the Heineken Cup Final.

Let's make changes by all account, but where are they going to come from? We were warned that our stand alone stance would come back to haunt us when our squad got too old. Looks like they were right.

Gareth Bowen doesn't seem to be taking on defences like Stephen Jones used to.  The warning signs were there when Biarritz beat us by a huge margin in the Heineken Cup Quarter-Final.  There was then a massive opportunity to recruit some quality players after the demise of the Warriors and we did not take it.  Mark Jones is only getting back to full fitness, Garan Evans is not getting any younger, Finau is a liability in attack and defence and should have been dropped, therefore we needed to recruit wingers such as Dafydd James or Gareth Wyatt.  Leigh Davies left, but Stuart Gallacher being complacent as usual chose not to recruit quality centres such as David Bishop, Sonny Parker and Jon Bryant. 

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

I'm going to break my self-imposed vow of silence to agree with some points that Sgarlet has made. i had decided not to post on this site anymore due to the fact that if you go against the majority you are abused.....

I believe that the scarlets have become so predictable it is unbelievable. we have struggled so much this season. we have made hard work from our two wins. Borders and Edinburgh at times had a chance to win their games against us and in the other games we didn't even get a look in. Yes the squad is getting older but the amount of knock-on's and handling errors is attrocious and this is down to coaching. We kick posession away too often and apart from Dwayne Peel and Matthew J, we don't have a decent back (Garan is getting old now). Just look how the game changed when Mike Phillips came on. we slowed down and got turned over so many times. He should be warming the bench for the semi-pro's and Rhodri Jones and Chris McDonald should be in front of him in the pecking order.

There we go. this is my FINAL posting so you can bring on the abuse as much as you want. Just bring on Toulouse and roll on the 50 pointer against us......

The question is Salmidach, much of what you have said, I`ve said in the past, most of it a couple of seasons ago. When did you support me??

I`ve taken more abuse on this site than anyone so spare me the sob story

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 9:37pm
i'll keep my posting simple,  we are nowhere near good enough to compete with decent sides any more.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

P Davies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 9:45pm
I thought it was the region's objective to be one of the top four sides in Europe.  Yet look at the region's lack of vision and ambition on AND off the field.
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 9:54pm
can someone tell me what wyatt is doing on the bench, because when he came on tonight he was our second best player after quinnell, who had a brilliant game. we cant afford a player of his class to be keeping the bench warm and cooper and jones to start, who havn't a clue between them. in my opinion it's about time bryn griffiths gets a chance to show what he can do, he's been playing really well for the semi pros.

Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by A.R. A.R. wrote:

I`ll reply when I`m not so angry, but I don`t agree with you AR.

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 9:59pm

Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

The question is Salmidach, much of what you have said, I`ve said in the past, most of it a couple of seasons ago. When did you support me??

Yo.... when have I ever laid into you. get off your high horse pimpernel

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Yo.... when have I ever laid into you. get off your high horse pimpernel

Well there`s been so many that I lose count. If you weren`t one then I apologise ( but at least I got you to post again Doh!!)

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 10:03pm
the trouble is once you've got a job in stradey, it's yours for life if you want it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic