Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gareth Bowen / Friday’s Game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gareth Bowen / Friday’s Game
    Posted: 23 October 2004 at 10:01am

Enough is enough.

I'm hungover and angry so I'll come back to this topic when I'm less likely to say things I'll regret...

Sponsored Links

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 10:59am

Whereas I don`t think that either he or Arwel are good enough, its our inability to score tries against the better opposition in this competition that costs us these close games.

Personally speaking, I would fast track the current Llanelli RFC outside half into the squad as soon as possible. He needs to lose a little weight but he can`t half hit a rugby ball.

Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 11:20am

Mike, presume that's a wind up at the bottom of your post.........

I'l say it for you, he bottled it, big time.

Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by mr lloyd evans mr lloyd evans wrote:

Mike, presume that's a wind up at the bottom of your post.........

I'l say it for you, he bottled it, big time.

er, he did hit the post, I`d hardly call that bottling it big time.

Jerry Dammers View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 1:02pm
Did you see the kick? just watched it, I'm sorry but a player at that level should have kicked that with his eyes shut, there is NO WAY a professional outside half should fail from that position and distance.I suggest you watch it again and come back with a comment. I said it last night and i'll say it again, he bottled it, a disgrace of a kick.
Delboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 1:55pm
Why was Arwel taken off?
HuwL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuwL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 2:37pm

Did you see the kick? just watched it, I'm sorry but a player at that level should have kicked that with his eyes shut, there is NO WAY a professional outside half should fail from that position and distance.I suggest you watch it again and come back with a comment. I said it last night and i'll say it again, he bottled it, a disgrace of a kick.

In 100% agreement with that.  His a**e goes for the big games even worse than Byron Hayward’s.  Anyone remember the Celtic cup game with Connaught last year?  Well he missed 3 of them in a row when it was close at the end.  It’s now obvious he’s a liability in big games and GJ must be ruing his quote that he was good enough to warrant not bringing in an experienced 10.

Edited by HuwL
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 2:42pm
 I agree it was a poor kick but bois,we should have nailed them before that. Going for the kick immediatly after Hassan was carded was a big mistake. We had them reeling and 7 against 8 in the maul ..... They scored the winning points when down to 14 men. Still, there were a lot of positives in comparison to the other games this season. We need a top fly half though if we're going to win any trophies. 
Pan handle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"These gloves are sh*t, man."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan handle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 2:45pm
Lets not forget the kicks that Arwel missed. 
dylandavies34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylandavies34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 3:04pm
who needs to loose weight? Ther team has done quite badly this season. Is the team getting too old?
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 3:12pm

Does the same thing apply when professional footballers miss penalties?? or when the likes of Montgomerie or Woods miss a 2 foot put?? There is no such thing as NO WAY in profesional sport.

Yes, he missed a kickable penalty which he should have kicked and I agree that he should have kicked it, but in castigating Bowen your totally missing the point. The fact is, we simply can not score tries against quality opposition, especially in the Heineken cup, and its a problem that we`ve had for a number of seasons.

In the past we`ve had SJ to bail us out. The more I think about it, the more I think that his penalties have hidden a huge number of cracks in our play, and the fact that we are a very ordinary team and have been for a number of seasons. Remember, both semi finals came on the back of penalties and not tries. When we didn`t get the penalties ( Perpignan & Biaritz), we lost. 

If we are now getting to the stage where we are relying on penalties to win games, then there is something drastically wrong with the ethos and ability of both the team and the coaching staff.

Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by HuwL HuwL wrote:

In 100% agreement with that.  His a**e goes for the big games even worse than Byron Hayward’s.  Anyone remember the Celtic cup game with Connaught last year?  Well he missed 3 of them in a row when it was close at the end.  It’s now obvious he’s a liability in big games and GJ must be ruing his quote that he was good enough to warrant not bringing in an experienced 10.

That statement was always a load of old bull because we didn`t have any money to bring in an experienced outside half, and after watching the pitiful display that Sweeney gave this afternoon, he certainly wasn`t the answer.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan handle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Does the same thing apply when professional footballers miss penalties?? or when the likes of Montgomerie or Woods miss a 2 foot put?? There is no such thing as NO WAY in profesional sport.

Yes, he missed a kickable penalty which he should have kicked and I agree that he should have kicked it, but in castigating Bowen your totally missing the point. The fact is, we simply can not score tries against quality opposition, especially in the Heineken cup, and its a problem that we`ve had for a number of seasons.

In the past we`ve had SJ to bail us out. The more I think about it, the more I think that his penalties have hidden a huge number of cracks in our play, and the fact that we are a very ordinary team and have been for a number of seasons. Remember, both semi finals came on the back of penalties and not tries. When we didn`t get the penalties ( Perpignan & Biaritz), we lost. 

If we are now getting to the stage where we are relying on penalties to win games, then there is something drastically wrong with the ethos and ability of both the team and the coaching staff.

100% agree with that sp.

P Davies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 3:19pm

Yes, its time for new blood from the Semi Pros to come in.  Losing four out of your five home games as Celtic Champions is not acceptable.  There needs to be a major clear out:-

John Davies
Chris Wyatt
Scott Quinnell
Garan Evans
Salesi Finau
Arwel Thomas
Mark Taylor

Gareth Jenkins says we have every chance of going further in the competition.  This is because Toulouse lost their first AWAY match last season and still reached the final.  I do not see this happening as we lost one HOME game already.  We have three difficult away trips, none of which I can see us winning.  Realistically we are out of the competition.  Now is the time to bring the youngsters in and give them Heineken Cup experience.  This would bring great benefits in the long term.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan handle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 3:21pm

IMO Scott Quinnel and Chris Wyatt have been our best forwards and gave there all every game this season.

P Davies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2004 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Pan handle Pan handle wrote:

IMO Scott Quinnel and Chris Wyatt have been our best forwards and gave there all every game this season.

But they do not have the same impact like they used to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic