FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

world cup or european cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ysbryd grav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysbryd grav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: world cup or european cup
    Posted: 12 September 2006 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Full back Full back wrote:

European. Bob ffwcin tro. It's something we - as a town and region deserve for being the most consistent British side for 30 years. All Blacks, Aussies (more than once), Springboks, cup winners 13 times, what used to be the best crowd anywhere in a rugby match...... and the rest of Wales wonder why we're so proud! Show us your halls of fame then.....!

Wasps have only surged in the last 5 years with cash. Leicester, the last 10. All I can say is Nottingham, March 2002. I'd rather see us get our just deserves here for all the doubters these days as well.

Springboks?!?  Swansea and Cardiff have histories to rival the Scarlets whilst Neath, despite not being sen as important have always been a leading club in Wales.  I think you'll find Lecister & Bath have been pretty consistent in the last 30 years.  If your going to bang on about history then at least get it right.

T.D.P.S.
http://www.llanelliwarriors.co.uk
Sponsored Links

stuscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 2:19pm
WALES - has to be Wales, great for the nation, great for welsh rugby and great for the scarlets, punters through the door
Why are Leicester called the tigers surely the cheatahs would be more appropriate
NickiF View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickiF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 9:28pm
Its an easy one for me HC every time.
Full back View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 9:22pm

European. Bob ffwcin tro. It's something we - as a town and region deserve for being the most consistent British side for 30 years. All Blacks, Aussies (more than once), Springboks, cup winners 13 times, what used to be the best crowd anywhere in a rugby match...... and the rest of Wales wonder why we're so proud! Show us your halls of fame then.....!

Wasps have only surged in the last 5 years with cash. Leicester, the last 10. All I can say is Nottingham, March 2002. I'd rather see us get our just deserves here for all the doubters these days as well.

Buy your Ospreys jerseys from the official retailer - at Butes 'r' Us!
Ian Lewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 8:44pm

This was supposed to be a lighthearted topic (I hope!!) and now we are arguing amongst ourselves, GET A GRIP. For me its the HC everytime.

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 7:25pm
Spot on SR. I'm not from Llanelli - it's not about 'the town', it's about the continuation of something that we've invested so much in over the years.
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by mammamammon mammamammon wrote:

Perplexing Question but there are no obvious advantages. Professionalism and Regionalism is simply how it is now. The competition to survive and flourish is harder but the standards are higher. The prizes greater. Did finishing 1st in the Merit Table really matter? The clubs potential support base is largely the same. Marketing and developing a structure in a professional way are the building blocks on which a successful team stands. When this is in place the team can develop and slowly make its own history. The Llanelli Scarlets will only be seen as a different entity when they have their own history. When Llanelli Scarlets is engraved on The Heineken Cup it will be remembered as Llanelli beating the All Blacks is.

Great post, but I don't think 'Llanelli Scarlets' will ever be seen as distinct from Llanelli RFC up to 2003. And why should it? Accept and embrace regional responsibilities but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. It's a history we should all be proud of, as redeyes said earlier in this thread. Why marginalise that for no obvious benefit?

The Scarlets I support now, and the Scarlets I've supported, and shouted for over the last 40 odd years are, to my mind, one and the same, and have ALWAYS drawn their support from the WHOLE region, and not just from the town. 

They've always BEEN a regional team, so formal, or legal changes made to suit the rest of Welsh rugby MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL TO US. 

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by mammamammon mammamammon wrote:

Perplexing Question but there are no obvious advantages. Professionalism and Regionalism is simply how it is now. The competition to survive and flourish is harder but the standards are higher. The prizes greater. Did finishing 1st in the Merit Table really matter? The clubs potential support base is largely the same. Marketing and developing a structure in a professional way are the building blocks on which a successful team stands. When this is in place the team can develop and slowly make its own history. The Llanelli Scarlets will only be seen as a different entity when they have their own history. When Llanelli Scarlets is engraved on The Heineken Cup it will be remembered as Llanelli beating the All Blacks is.

Great post, but I don't think 'Llanelli Scarlets' will ever be seen as distinct from Llanelli RFC up to 2003. And why should it? Accept and embrace regional responsibilities but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. It's a history we should all be proud of, as redeyes said earlier in this thread. Why marginalise that for no obvious benefit?

Edited by Mike
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 6:45pm

Originally posted by Sant Sant wrote:

Originally posted by OwenR OwenR wrote:

Exactly.

Owen - you're letting the anti-turk brigade on Gwlad influence you too much mun.

Always felt the same way.  The history stuff bores me, if I'm honest and I still feel it's holding the region back.

How, in practical terms, is it holding the region back?

Although I do not totally agree with Owen R he does have a point. There are people who support the Scarlets believe they should be known as Llanelli RFC and that the Scarlets should not have anything to do with any of the other clubs in the region.

Llanelli as a town would find it very difficult to maintain a professional side but as a region there is every opportunity.  LLanelli RFC of old attracted support from quite a large hinterland and therefore it was only natural for it to become the regional side known as the Llanelli Scarlets. It should now embrace the region fully and build stronger links with the feeder clubs. What the old LLanelli RFC achieved is something the whole region should be proud of as it was the club for the whole of West Wales and not just LLanelli town.

That's fine, but since we have become a "region" we marketed more as "Scarlets" and less as "Llanelli". We have developed a structure encompassing clubs and colleges within the "region"...the club has developed more of a regional outlook.

You contradict yourself by saying "What the old LLanelli RFC achieved is something the whole region should be proud of as it was the club for the whole of West Wales and not just LLanelli town" but also saying "Llanelli as a town would find it very difficult to maintain a professional side but as a region there is every opportunity".

Can someone please explain to me (aside from marketing to the 'hinterland' and developing a formal structure across the "region") what we should be doing, in practical, specific and measurable ways in order to take the seemingly obvious advantages of now being something different to what we were  i.e. a "region" not a club.         

mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 6:18pm

Exactly.

Owen - you're letting the anti-turk brigade on Gwlad influence you too much mun.

Always felt the same way.  The history stuff bores me, if I'm honest and I still feel it's holding the region back.

Although I do not totally agree with Owen R he does have a point. There are people who support the Scarlets believe they should be known as Llanelli RFC and that the Scarlets should not have anything to do with any of the other clubs in the region.

Llanelli as a town would find it very difficult to maintain a professional side but as a region there is every opportunity.  LLanelli RFC of old attracted support from quite a large hinterland and therefore it was only natural for it to become the regional side known as the Llanelli Scarlets. It should now embrace the region fully and build stronger links with the feeder clubs. What the old LLanelli RFC achieved is something the whole region should be proud of as it was the club for the whole of West Wales and not just LLanelli town.

That's fine, but since we have become a "region" we marketed more as "Scarlets" and less as "Llanelli". We have developed a structure encompassing clubs and colleges within the "region"...the club has developed more of a regional outlook.

You contradict yourself by saying "What the old LLanelli RFC achieved is something the whole region should be proud of as it was the club for the whole of West Wales and not just LLanelli town" but also saying "Llanelli as a town would find it very difficult to maintain a professional side but as a region there is every opportunity".

Can someone please explain to me (aside from marketing to the 'hinterland' and developing a formal structure across the "region") what we should be doing, in practical, specific and measurable ways in order to take the seemingly obvious advantages of now being something different to what we were  i.e. a "region" not a club.         

Edited by Mike
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 5:14pm

Good post

In Pivac we trust
Sant View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 2:26pm

Exactly.

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 12:45pm

Exactly.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 12:35pm

Originally posted by rap columbo rap columbo wrote:

every club has its idiot faction, ie the self proclaimed loony bin

That was never an 'idiot faction' IMO. It had its faults and obviously wasn't to everyone's taste, but since it's died a death, the atmosphere at Stradey and big away games hasn't been quite the same.

agree, i remeber the time when the scarlets won the league, (can't remember the year) when the players made a point of going over to the 'loony bin' area to applaud them.

the subject? club every time and that time will come.

as for the statment if we win the world cup it's four years of gloating, within a year or so of winning it england were more or less a laughing stock and the fact how they won it was asked and still is.

OwenR View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwenR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 12:35pm

Exactly.

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 12:18pm

Originally posted by rap columbo rap columbo wrote:

every club has its idiot faction, ie the self proclaimed loony bin

That was never an 'idiot faction' IMO. It had its faults and obviously wasn't to everyone's taste, but since it's died a death, the atmosphere at Stradey and big away games hasn't been quite the same.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic