Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One depressing thread :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One depressing thread :(
    Posted: 12 September 2006 at 10:33am

I have tried to keep very upbeat about this but the more I read and hear and the more days that go by the more worried and depressed I feel. I'm sorry for bringing up this somewhat depressing topic but it is one that I feel needs to be discussed. If the scarlets cease to exist who will you support?

When Stradey Park is empty and lonesome, when the sospans on the posts are no more, when the Llanelli/Swansea and Scarlets/Ospreys rivalry is nothing but a memory; who's jersey will you pull on, or would it just be too much of a betrayal to don any other jersey other than a Scarlet one?

Will you follow our closest rivals, The Ospreys?

Or would you prefer to keep them your rivals and support another Welsh Region?

Would you prefer to keep all of them your rivals and support another nations team such as Ulster?

Or have you had enough of regional rugby. Will you choose to follow football and the Swans quest to gain promotion or Cardiff's fight against some of the top teams in Britain? Or even the Reds' battle to fame?

Would you even switch codes and follow rugby league?

Or would it all be too depressing and your heart will forever remain scarlet. In which case you sit back at home looking through the old photos of such past memories as Barry Davies and Mark Jones?

**This is not meant to deliberatly depress people or provoke reactions as many on here will testify that I am not that kind of poster and I am starting this thread just to find out the general feelings at the moment.**

Edited by ScarletHeart

[IMG]
Sponsored Links

DgembaDgemba View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DgembaDgemba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 10:40am

not a huge footie fan, cannot stand league and would refuse to support any other region or team in the UK so i would be rather stuffed

maybe i could move to new zealand and support the Otago Highlanders

The localised condition of planetary atmospheric condensation caused a malfunction in the visual orientation circuits...

Or to put it another way, we got lost in the fog.
Dave_B View Drop Down
Don’t turn to the dark side

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 10:59am

Bludi 'ell, lets stop this maudlin, defeatist drivel.

Moderators, someone close this thread ASAP !!

Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:02am

For me, as I suspect, many other Scarlets fans.(Probably the majority). IF the Scarlets folded, it would totally disenfranchise me from Regional rugby.

Iwould continue to support Llanelli RFC, wherever they played, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I support another region.

Welsh rugby has lost a vast number of committed fans in the valleys since regionalisation, and even more with the demise of the warriors. I, for one, cannot understand how fans can continually be asked to change allegiance. Your team isn't just something you go and watch a few times a year, they are part of your life, and without that lifeblood, Welsh rugby as a whole will eventually die! 

Neither would I wish to watch the national side as anything more than an armchair viewer. Much of the pleasure of doing so is tied to how your own team's selected players perform on the national stage. So, though I realise that my absence would make little difference to the WRU's coffers, when that scenario is repeated many thousand times over, it begins to get rather significant!

jemm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jemm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:04am

I could never support another Welsh region. Cant imagine in my wildest dreams going to the Liberty stadium and cheering for the O's. So its got to be Llanelli RFC.

Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:20am
Come oh Guys its not over 'til the fat lady sings.We arnt going to dissapear and we will continue to be Wales premier side,so less of the depressives and lets continue to give the team our 110% support. In my view the so called politicians have a future thats a less less certain than ours
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:25am

The region and the semi pros are run by the same company, so if one goes they both go.

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:28am

Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

Come oh Guys its not over 'til the fat lady sings.We arnt going to dissapear and we will continue to be Wales premier side,so less of the depressives and lets continue to give the team our 110% support. In my view the so called politicians have a future thats a less less certain than ours

Well said SM, hence the capital 'IF' in my post above. We'll see this through with determination and by sticking together, and backing the club and it's administrators to the hilt.

If anyone feels that they could /can / want to be more pro-active, why not come along to the Trust Open Meeting on the 28th. Trusts have saved the Swans, and Wrexham to name just two examples, and they can REALLY make a difference.

jemm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jemm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

The region and the semi pros are run by the same company, so if one goes they both go.

Is that right?  Oh sh-t, now I am really depressed.

Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
ScarletHeart View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Dave_B Dave_B wrote:

Bludi 'ell, lets stop this maudlin, defeatist drivel.

Moderators, someone close this thread ASAP !!

Why should they close it? On what basis?

All I have asked is what people would do if we folded.

To answer my own question I would have to agree with Scarletrover in that I couldn't bring myself to support any other region and if we folded I'm not really sure what I'd do.

When listening to the football results I think to myself that I hope all the welsh clubs won but I have never gone to see a football game and nor do I plan to, it's just not the same family atmosphere as rugby.

[IMG]
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:39am
I have no doubt that the housing development will go ahead. I am, however, appalled and embarrassed at the way the Scarlets have handlled the situation. My support has been waning since regionalisation and I can see myself visiting less Scarlets games in future.
fatgav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:43am
Yes it's the same company, but Neath RFC went bust and look at us now. Llanelli will have some sort of semi pro team whatever happens. The question is whether or not it will have a region. There are plenty of Neath supporters who said they would never support the Ospreys and have chosen to only support Neath. Some have changed their minds, but a large number only go to the Gnoll. It is very hard for dedicated fans to redirect their support and you will get quite a few who will give regional rugby a miss altogether. That is their own choice. Some however will choose to support one of the other regions.

Whatever happens, there will be a choice of rugby teams for you to support. Who knows, one of them might be a Scarlets regional team playing out of Pemberton. There are a lot of roads still to be explored yet.

One question though. Some of you have said you will support a Swansea football side. If you go to football, why not support the reds? At least if the Ospreys take over Llanelli (and it is a big if), they will represent the area, the Swans only represent Swansea.
Another day, another misunderstanding!
Slider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 11:46am

Originally posted by yedarts yedarts wrote:

I have no doubt that the housing development will go ahead. I am, however, appalled and embarrassed at the way the Scarlets have handlled the situation. My support has been waning since regionalisation and I can see myself visiting less Scarlets games in future.

Snap, my sentiments exactly......absolutly spot bl**dy on.

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 12:06pm

Originally posted by yedarts yedarts wrote:

How many do you go to, on average, at the moment?

Turk1shdelight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turk1shdelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 12:29pm
Back to our village sides.....for me Llangennech.
If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that shows you tried!!
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

How many do you go to, on average, at the moment?

I forgot to mention that I don't attend many games. But I made no suggestion that I was doing this to withdraw my financial contributions to the Scarlets. I just don't feel like going to the games as much as I used to.

To answer your question maybe six or seven. Mostly away games.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic