Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foxy and Scott.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
SF's only officially endorsed pollster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Joseph - awesome when in space. He won't get that in NZ.

Dropped after the Wales game, subbed early yesterday.

Joseph isn`t the answer either.

We should be at a stage now where you could name a probable starting Lions XV for the first test.

I`m struggling to think of one player who is a nailed on cert to start. 

Owen Farrell, there's one.

At 10 or 12?

I'm with Pimp, there's plenty who I think should start but there's not a great deal of consensus on nailed on starters, the Welsh backrow shut down Stander and O'Brien against Ireland and then Stander, O'Brien and O'Mahony completely nullified Vunipola so suddenly you've got previous nailed on starters like Stander and Vunipola being questioned.

A lot have McGrath starting but what about Mako? Nailed on a couple of months ago, I could go through a whole team with question marks.
Sponsored Links

2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:22am
Its hard to believe we have posters criticising Scarlets players and calling for them to be dropped when we haven't even played this week.

Personally I would love to see what OUR boys could achieve in the centre with the Irish Half backs setting them free.

As for when to bring the internationals back in, tough decision for Wayne Pivac as you can bet they will all be chomping at the bit to try and finish the season on a high.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:22am

We should be at a stage now where you could name a probable starting Lions XV for the first test.

Farrell and Warburton are nailed on.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:31am
I'm not so sure about Farrell as he may have suited Eddie Jones's game plan of utilising 2 playmakers, but the coach is Warren Gatland, who tends to go with no real playmaker and utilises territory and power instead.
I know we keep hearing about a new style of play but we've not really seen any evidence to back that up. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:40am
Therein lies the rub. If the Lions had been serious about beating NZ they would have selected a coaching team to do just that not appoint on the basis of the old boy network. That would have meant Schmidt as head coach with Andy Farrell defence & Gregor Townsend as attack coach. What we have now got is the Welsh failed management who cannot select their own team effectively. 
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

At 10 or 12?

I'm with Pimp, there's plenty who I think should start but there's not a great deal of consensus on nailed on starters, the Welsh backrow shut down Stander and O'Brien against Ireland and then Stander, O'Brien and O'Mahony completely nullified Vunipola so suddenly you've got previous nailed on starters like Stander and Vunipola being questioned.

A lot have McGrath starting but what about Mako? Nailed on a couple of months ago, I could go through a whole team with question marks.

Farrell at 12, with Sexton at 10.
All Time Favourite Scarlets XV

B Davies, M Jones, R King, J Davies, D James, S Jones, D Peel
I Thomas, M Rees, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, S Easterby, G Thomas, S Quinnell
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:52am
If the Lions go into the tour using some form of Warrenball, then as Frazer would have said "we're doomed"

We must play an expensive game we have the players available so we need to utilise them, The squad must be picked on form, and not on reputation, and in all honesty I feel the only Scarlets player will be Ken.

Foxy & Liam may go as midweek player and backup if needed.

Gatland ended up as 1st choice because everyone else turned it down, which unfortunately says a lot about the current Lions thinking.

One thing I do know it will be a heck of a squad, with another squad back home waiting for a callup.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 11:05am

You beat me to it with that answer but it`s a combination that doesn`t fill me with positivity.

In answer to Scarletnut, Warburton is not nailed on to start IMO.
In Pivac we trust
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 11:54am

You beat me to it with that answer but it`s a combination that doesn`t fill me with positivity.

In answer to Scarletnut, Warburton is not nailed on to start IMO.
Who else will get selected to play at 7? You need an out and out 7 with serious physicality to beat them and he's the only one who really fits that bill
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:22pm
Nailed on:
Sexton 10
Murray 9 if fit
Joshua24:15
Mullsuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mullsuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:30pm
I have been saying for some time that I believe that Foxy and Scott would be a better combination if they were swapped around, with Foxy at inside centre and Scott outside.  Foxy is a better ball carrying centre to make the busts up the middle while Scott has the quick feet and gas to get outside and put the wingers and full back away.
AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:52pm
Two tries against Italy were superbly set-up by Scott Williams.

Sanjay's try vs. Scotland, that try doesn't happen if it wasn't for Scott Williams perfect pass to allow Halfpenny to run on to it to put Liam away.

North's first try v Ireland, who kick-started that move? Oh yeah, Scott Williams. 

We scored 8 tries this tournament, and Scott had a big hand in half of them, so to say he had a 'pants' tournament is utterly ridiculous. 

As for Foxy, he's looked a lot better. If we want to make the top 4 and win the Pro12, they need to be playing. 
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Nailed on:
Sexton 10
Murray 9 if fit
I don't think that Murray is nailed on to start because Webb is in such a rich vein of form and offers a bit more of an attacking threat. It's tight between those two, his partnership with Sexton may swing it though
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Nailed on:
Sexton 10
Murray 9 if fit
I don't think that Murray is nailed on to start because Webb is in such a rich vein of form and offers a bit more of an attacking threat. It's tight between those two, his partnership with Sexton may swing it though

Still favour Murray as he doesn't make the mistakes and give away silly penalties like Webb. Webb has slightly better attacking qualities, Murray box kicks very intelligently.
Joshua24:15
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 2:42pm

Targeted by the Irish, missed 7 tackles, had a poor game v Italy.

Pimp is right.
seany61 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seany61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 2:56pm
I don't mean to be rude to the person who opened this thread but come on? Scott was the form centre in Wales if not Europe pre 6 nations throughout which I personally thought he played well apart from a below par showing yesterday. The guy is pure class and our biggest attacking threat. He simply has to pay if he's fit.
Foxy hasn't fired for us yet this year but I thought and the stats would suggest that he had a good 6 nation's and I think looked more like his old self. Still waiting for him to flatten someone with a hand off but I'm sure that will come soon. Our centre stock is magnificent, 3 genuinely top drawer players and 2 more than adequate replacements behind that. I for one cant wait to see a few of the internationals back on the field for the run! However, they do face serious competition for places, the boys who have played while they've been away have done a fine job!!
Think, Think, Think .... Its a thinking game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic