Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gareth Jenkins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 9:17am
Polite to say thank you though......or don't you agree Mogwen
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

My first part was a thank you
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

My first part was a thank you

I apologise Dai, you are right. After reading my 1st post again I thought I put a thank you in but I didn't.
Michael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 2:16pm

Originally posted by Alun Alun wrote:

Originally posted by scarlet_rob scarlet_rob wrote:

He'll probably be head coach in a few weeks

At least we'll gain back some of our identity.

Haven't we learned our lessons from "jobs for the boys?" Let's get Mark Jones bac as skills coach, easterby bac as forwards coach and Nigel as assistant coach. Coz all that worked out well for us the last time round didn't it. This is a professional era not a reward for loyal service.

Yes it d did work out quite well and with a lot less money to spend than what Pivac has.  
ladram View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Michael Michael wrote:

Haven't we learned our lessons from "jobs for the boys?" Let's get Mark Jones bac as skills coach, easterby bac as forwards coach and Nigel as assistant coach. Coz all that worked out well for us the last time round didn't it. This is a professional era not a reward for loyal service.

Yes it d did work out quite well and with a lot less money to spend than what Pivac has.  
I must have missed those dizzy heights.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Heineken SF in 1999 (? Northampton at the Madejski ) and 2002, and we regularly got out of our group and achieved BP wins. We also won the PRO 12 in 2003/4.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Heineken SF in 1999 (? Northampton at the Madejski ) and 2002, and we regularly got out of our group and achieved BP wins. We also won the PRO 12 in 2003/4.

With regards to the late 90's that was before the professional era. IIRC 2003/4 was the first year of regionalisation where the Scottish teams hadn't found their feet and neither did most other regions. Apart form that the only dizzy heights I can remember is sitting in the top row of the millennium stadium in the first judgment day.
Michael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 4:18pm

Dizzy heights - maybe not but we did play better rugby on less of a budget and possibly a weaker pack. 
EJPT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 4:19pm
Rugby has changed since then, and only this season since then have we began to adopt to the new style of rugby. Look at leinsters success with a number of foreign head coaches. Jobs for the boys doesnt work, one playoff appearance in how many years? It's just not good enough considering the quality thats passed through our team in recent times.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 4:24pm
Lets stop having a go at anyone and everyone and concentrate on the future. Sorry Mogwen there were highes you may not think so but generally the rugby world did.

Rugby is different now to even 10 years and therefore we can not compare them, a bit like comparing apples and grapes.

Thibk of the future
ladram View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

post gareth davies the only semi final I remember was walkers stadium under phil davies,with regards to a smaller budget for the other semi finals if the money wasn't being spent on players where the **** did it go as we sold the stadium twice, and forever had the begging bowl out.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 5:00pm

Lets stop having a go at anyone and everyone and concentrate on the future. Sorry Mogwen there were highes you may not think so but generally the rugby world did.

Rugby is different now to even 10 years and therefore we can not compare them, a bit like comparing apples and grapes.

Thibk of the future

I am thinking of the future. That's my point. No more jobs for the boys, and those who are appointed must be of quality
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 5:03pm
No need to say goodbye as he's still working part time! See no issue here.
He's given us great service. I'm sure he will still unearth some welsh talent for us in the next few seasons in his new role.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
SF's only officially endorsed pollster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 5:15pm
I really don't get why people are so quick to try and belittle Gareth's achievements, apart from being utterly ludicrous why are we so keen to run down our own, I really can't even begin to understand it.

The last time we won a cup Gareth was at the helm, likewise in the league, he's also the only coach we've had in the professional era that's gone on a lions tour as a coach.

Regardless of that though and what he achieved beforehand what Gareth always did was get the best out of his players. When you think of our great teams it was packed with players who played their best rugby under him from Colin stephens, Neil boobyer, Ian jones, emyr Lewis and perego to martyn madden, Ian boobyer, Barry davies and finau, these weren't big names in the international game but frequently outplayed the more established players. Hell he even managed to get Leigh Davies back into form.

We need that ability from a coach now more than ever up against bigger budgets so whatever Gareth's role is at the club we'd be fools to not only appreciate what he's done but also learn from it. Also the amount of players who thank Gareth when they leave speaks volumes, well to me it does anyway.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 5:17pm
Gareth is a Scarlet legend, always will be. Cant believe that anyone would actually believe that the Scarlets wouldnt mark his retirement with anything but a huge tribute.

But that day hasnt come yet, and I'm sure that when he does fully retire there will be an appropriate celebration of everything Gareth has done for the club and region as a player, coach, administrator and ambassador.

As much as anyone else who's come before or will ever be in the future, he is Scarlet to the core.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 5:24pm
Mogwen why belittle the achievements of past and even current coaches.

The past won cups and got us to s/f, while the current ones are moving us forward, may not be at the pace you and others want BUT within the parameters set to and by them and within budgets.

We were not good 3-4 years ago we were better last year, anf honest I think we have done really well this season with the players we have and those who have only played a few games.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic