Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Caerphilly 17 Llanelli 35

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caerphilly 17 Llanelli 35
    Posted: 03 November 2004 at 9:49pm

Just come home from the game (I only live 7 miles down the road so it wasn’t much of an effort!).

I know it’s a cliché, but it really was a game of two halves. Llanelli 32-0 up (5 tries to nil) half time, Caerphilly being very poor. I’ve never seen a team lose as much possession in 40 mins in my life! Every time Caerphilly went into a tackle/ruck/maul it seemed like we turned it over. Must be said that I though it worth the £8 admission just to see Dai Hodges running 25 meters for Llanelli’s first try! All the backs looked sharp during the first half, Viv Jenkins and Lee Byrne in particular. Hawkins had a very impressive half as well (popping up here there and everywhere). I thought Kevin Jones the tighthead made quite an impact as well.

Second half – Llanelli took their foot off the pedal, and Caerphilly in fairness looked a much more organised team. We brought MacDonald on for Rh Jones and Gravelle on for Hawkins. They won the half 17-3! (Although we played most of the last 15 mins with 13 men due to two players sin binned for silly offsides).

Nice to see Gareth Jenkins and Nigel there – maybe a few of the boys will get their chance sooner rather than later. By the way, never go to Caerphilly starving – not a burger van in sight! But judging from the number of home supporters that turned up I don't think they's have gone thrpugh a pack of 4 burgers even if one had been there.

Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.
Sponsored Links

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 9:54pm

As much as I have 100% respect for Dave Hodges, I do question the value in playing him at this level now.

Great result - and good to hear that we have a young prospect at tighthead.

wizard View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
No Longer An Admin of SF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

As much as I have 100% respect for Dave Hodges, I do question the value in playing him at this level now.

It was Hodges 1st game of the season after coming back from a knee injury

Taffscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by wizard wizard wrote:

It was Hodges 1st game of the season after coming back from a knee injury

It makes you think what's the point when you see G Quinnell sitting in the stand and Hodges playing!
Don't know if GQ was injured or not though.

Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 10:01pm

My point is that he's approaching 37 years of age - a tremendous servant and top man but shouldn't block progress of youth now IMO.

Gemma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 10:29pm
Brilliant! excellent result!
Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:41pm
Mike - Dave Hodges has been out injured, he had a very heavily strapped knee tonight. He needs game time incase he's called up into the regional side. You can train all you like, but there's nothing like getting games under your belt after injury.

Taffscarlet - GQ told us after the game that he was carrying an injury, but cannot remember what he said had been injured.
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
ursamajor View Drop Down
Founder
Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursamajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 1:19am
Great result, and thanks for the summary Taffscarlet.
missscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 7:51am
Thanks Taffscarlet.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 8:14am
another great result, at least llanelli rfc keep us smiling. also good to see hodges playing in case he's needed for the scarlets, probably his last season now.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:32am

speaking to phil john's brother when he was playing for the semi's after his injury. if a player has a long term injury, he can't play for the regional side until he proves his fitness. to do with insurance apparantly
Becs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 6:47pm
its was a really good first half but then the second half was so different!
BECS!!
pwllendprincess View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwllendprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 7:00pm
good score for the boys, excellent first half
PwllEnd Princess (P.E.P) xxxx
commissioner View Drop Down
Octopus Bust Hands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commissioner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 7:33pm

Originally posted by Pedro Diniz Pedro Diniz wrote:

Taffscarlet - GQ told us after the game that he was carrying an injury, but cannot remember what he said had been injured.

twist ankle i think he said

Edited by Mattie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2004 at 2:30pm

Well done boys!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic