Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OLYMPICS FIRST GOLD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OLYMPICS FIRST GOLD
    Posted: 19 August 2004 at 11:08pm
Golden day for Brit sailors
GB CELEBRATE GOLD AND SILVER
Shirley Robertson and her Yngling crew
Britain won a first gold of the Games on another successful day in Athens to take their overall medal haul to eight.

Sailors Shirley Robertson, Sarah Webb and Sarah Ayton wrapped up victory in the Yngling class with a race to spare.

Badminton mixed doubles duo Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson had to settle for silver after losing a thrilling

Sponsored Links

Beefs army View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beefs army Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2004 at 9:07am

Congrats to the gold winners

Heres to some more soon

mc scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2004 at 10:53pm
Last Updated: Saturday, 21 August, 2004, 17:14 GMT 18:14 UK
Britain's golden day
TEAM GB'S GOLDEN DAY
British fans applaud victory by the men's coxless four

Great Britain enjoyed one of its best ever days at the Olympics on Saturday, claiming five gold medals.

Rower Matthew Pinsent led the way, winning his fourth Games title in the coxless four ahead of Canada.

And then Britain's sailors weighed in with victory for Ben Ainslie in the Finn class and confirmation of Shirley Robertson's Yngling success.

Cyclist Bradley Wiggins won the men's 4km pursuit before three-day eventing's Leslie Law grabbed gold after a successful appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"As far as I am concerned this could be the greatest ever day for Britain at an Olympics," said British Olympic Association chief Simon Clegg, after the team also secured two silvers and two bronzes.

"The successes we have had so far have been outstanding."

Sports minister Richard Caborn added: "It really has been a super Saturday for Team GB and the nation can be proud.

SATURDAY'S OTHER MEDALLISTS

"I would like to congratulate all our athletes for their tremendous achievement from the rowing this morning to what we have seen on the cycling track this afternoon."

Britain's golden day began with the narrowest of wins for Pinsent with James Cracknell, Ed Coode and Steve Williams.

The coxless four looked beaten 10 strokes from the line, but battled back to beat the Canadians by 0.08 seconds in a time of six minutes 6.98 secs.

Sir Stephen Redgrave, who famously won his fifth gold medal in five Olympics in 2000, then backed his Sydney partner Pinsent to eclipse his medal tally.

There was more rowing success when Cath Bishop and Katherine Grainger took silver in the coxless pairs, while Sarah Winckless and Elise Laverick got bronze in the double sculls.

Ainslie, meanwhile, joined Rodney Pattison as Britain's most successful Olympic sailor by taking gold in the Finn class.

Bradley Wiggins tastes gold

He added gold to the silver and gold medals he won 1996 and 2000, while Robertson won gold at her second-straight Olympics with Sarah Webb and Sarah Ayton.

Nick Rogers and Joe Glanfield sealed second in the 470s, narrowly failing to overhaul their American rivals Paul Foerster and Kevin Burnham.

Cyclist Bradley Wiggins saw off Australian Tour de France rider Brad McGee to win the 4,000m individual pursuit, adding to team-mate Chris Hoy's Friday victory in the velodrome.

And, to cap a fantastic day for Team GB, Leslie Law was awarded individual gold in the three-day eventing after Germany were stripped of their gold medal following an appeal.

The decision also meant Britain's team bronze was upgraded to silver, while Pippa Funnell took individual bronze.

David Davies took bronze in swimming's 1500m freestyle, smashing the European record in 14 minutes 45.95 seconds.

Heptathlete Kelly Sotherton shrugged off the disappointment of seeing team-mate and defending champion Denise Lewis pull out to win another bronze.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2004 at 7:06pm
The medals are coming thick and fast now!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2004 at 7:46pm

Kelly Holmes celebrates gold
Holmes celebrates gold
Great Britain's Kelly Holmes stormed to a sensational Olympic gold with a perfect piece of 800m running.

Holmes fought past reigning champion Maria Mutola in an epic duel over the last 80 metres to take Britain's first track gold of these Games

Awsome Race.
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2004 at 12:57am

at least she finished the race and therefore we didnt have to listen to how great she could of been.

sorry sight was sonia o'sullivan getting beaten by all and sundry.

Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2004 at 9:51am
Radcliffe to run 10,000m
Paula Radcliffe is considering her options
Paula Radcliffe has confirmed she will definitely run in the Olympic 10,000m.

Radcliffe has made a full recovery after quitting Sunday's marathon four miles from the end and will line up for the 1950BST start on Friday.

She is the fastest woman in the world this year over 10,000m by 26 seconds and the 30-year-old will be keen to hit back after her marathon failure

Beefs army View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beefs army Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2004 at 9:55am
Good luck to her
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2004 at 10:47am
shes too upset about the other race to race in the 10,000 and to do wel in it
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2004 at 12:05pm
i think she'l break the olympic record
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2004 at 1:23pm

ATHENS (Reuters) - Cuba's Mario Kindelan has stopped the amazing run of British teenager Amir Khan by outpointing him in the lightweight final of the Olympic boxing tournament.

Khan, 17, was trying to become the youngest boxer to win an Olympic boxing gold medal in over 50 years on Sunday but Kindelan had other ideas.

Nearly twice Khan's age at 33, the defending champion relied on his greater experience to counter-punch methodically and win a 30-22 decision.

Khan, who fought bravely but seemed a bit nervous, leaves Athens with the silver medal but a bright future ahead.

Reuters  

Holmes to race on after golden double

Sun 29 Aug, 10:59 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Kelly Holmes says she has no intention of retiring after winning the Athens Olympics 800 and 1,500 metres double at the age of 34.

Holmes ended years of near misses in major championships by claiming the 800m gold on Monday before becoming on Saturday the oldest woman to win the Olympic 1,500m.

"I am not going to retire, I'm in the best shape of my life," Holmes told the BBC on Sunday. "I had a burning desire to be better than I was. I needed an injury-free year to realise my potential.

"It still hasn't sunk in. It was a real tough night and I just can't believe what I achieved."

Holmes said her 800m victory had given her the confidence to win the 1,500, the race she had mainly targeted before the Games.

"Winning the 800 was a big shock and that confirmed that my fitness level was good," she said. "I just had to pretend that I hadn't won the 800 and focus on the 1,500. I had a race plan and I really focused on that."

Holmes said she had never doubted her ability despite her succession of bronze and silver medals in major competitions.

"My career has been such a roller-coaster but I just kept sticking in there and I knew in my heart that there was something in there for me to fulfil my dreams," she said.

bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2004 at 7:52pm
well done team gb,marvellous medal tally.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

swissscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2004 at 8:04pm
impressive how many medals GB picked up! The swiss athlets could only get a mere five medals!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic