Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leicester tactics illegal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 12:17pm
Ta Jon, I try my best Wink

I think one of the greatest things about rugby is two sides can play such different styles and I think on saturday we have a meeting of two clubs (and sets of fans) with very different approaches to the game. Which, wind ups excluded, is great!
Sponsored Links

tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 1:03pm
I don't dislike people for speaking their minds,I certainly don't dislike anyone for being anti Leicester,or any other club for that matter.I'm not keen the wycombe insects(wasps to any one else),but that was based on the fact they used to beat us on occassion(and it was usually in a final,damn pests).
Saturday will I'm sure be a great day of rugby.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I don't dislike people for speaking their minds,I certainly don't dislike anyone for being anti Leicester,or any other club for that matter.I'm not keen the wycombe insects(wasps to any one else),but that was based on the fact they used to beat us on occassion(and it was usually in a final,damn pests).

Wicked. We'll share a drink on those two things then!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:24pm

It's only illegal if you do it against the Tigers.......Wink

With reference to what you've raised,the law states if the player is on the floor and places the ball it is a ruck when a support player arrives and bridges the ball.Therefore the opposition cannot use their hands to try and gain the ball,they have to engage the player and drive him off so that the ball is exposed and is out.At pace done by a good rucking side,this is fast, effective and might look as though a tackle is made.

This doesn't actually answer my question, as what happened (as I saw it) was that Leicester players were tackling Saints players BEFORE they actuallly reached the 'ruck'.

IMHO this was clearly illegal, and was v surprised the ref let it go (the Scots used to do this systematically a few years ago - then, presumably, refs stopped it).

I'm disappointed none of the Scarlets refs have seen fit to come and advise on this point, so far!
JonWal View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 4:02pm
Im sure I've seen a smililar tactic with the Ospreys, players walking through the ruck (AWJ from memorey) taking a player at the back of a ruck out in the process, whilst other O's players pile over.
JonWal View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 4:06pm

Thats why I like knowlegable rugby fans, they dont take a little critisism of their team and have a reasonable debate about it rather than resorting to name calling and claims of jelousy.

Looking forward to meeting a few of your other knowlegable fans this weekend TigerBurnie.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'm disappointed none of the Scarlets refs have seen fit to come and advise on this point, so far!

I'll go one step further and say I'm disappointed Alun or Scarletman isn't refereeing on saturday.
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:31pm

With reference to what you've raised,the law states if the player is on the floor and places the ball it is a ruck when a support player arrives and bridges the ball.Therefore the opposition cannot use their hands to try and gain the ball,they have to engage the player and drive him off so that the ball is exposed and is out.At pace done by a good rucking side,this is fast, effective and might look as though a tackle is made.

If that's the Law in Leicestershire Sir, it is no wonder everyone else thinks the Tigers cheat ! LOL

1. Bridging / Sealing off is ILLEGAL
  2. the definition of a Ruck is ... one or more players from each side on their feet, contesting the ball on the floor !
  3. A lot of fans mistake a "tackle" situation for a Ruck due to only one side having players on their feet !

Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

If that's the Law in Leicestershire Sir, it is no wonder everyone else thinks the Tigers cheat ! LOL

2. the definition of a Ruck is ... one or more players from each side on their feet, contesting the ball on the floor !
  3. A lot of fans mistake a "tackle" situation for a Ruck due to only one side having players on their feet !

If the player places his hands on the floor then that is illegal,sure they are allowed to hold on to their own player,plenty seem to do it in all the leagues.That way they are not deemed as "off their feet"or going over the top.

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 3:43pm

Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

If the player places his hands on the floor then that is illegal,sure they are allowed to hold on to their own player,plenty seem to do it in all the leagues.That way they are not deemed as "off their feet"or going over the top.

They must "BIND" with a FULL ARM (not just hand or forearm) and be supporting their own weight to be legal !
Whether they "do it in all leagues" does not make it legal ! Referees get marked / assessed with the focus on current IRB directives ... If the latest directive tells us to (for example) "concentrate on the Crouch .. touch ...pause etc" then human nature dictates that the Referee does not want to be marked down on this, as he knows that the assessors are targeting this too ! Attention to other aspects tend to focus on the "clear & obvious" !

Also there are a lot of "misinformed" Referees out there, although most are along the touchlines, there are the occasional one in the middle with a whistle too !

Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 4:13pm
Well we are masters at disguising the "clear and obvious",ask Peter Stringer about Neil Back helping him put the ball into the scrum.........Wink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 2:04pm
Thought the game was played in a good spirit and compliment Leicester on the way in which they played.

Thought the ref did a good job as well.

Oh, and very nice try by the way! Amazing hands from whoever it was.

Leicester (and England) are a different side with Ben Youngs in this kind of form.

All the best for the rest of the tournament.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 1:54pm
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/sport/Falcons-9-set-sign-Tigers/article-3122200-detail/article.html
Looks like another good prospect scrum half,now was it Young or Youngs you had a problem with?Wink
qingfeng456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qingfeng456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 3:53am
I don't doubt it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic