Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lance Armstrong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lance Armstrong
    Posted: 16 February 2011 at 1:41pm
Has quit cycling (for good this time he says and being 39 i cant see him coming back again), the guy is an absolute legend and an example of how to fight back against a horrible disease, love road cycling myself so this guy is one of my sporting heroes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/9399280.stm
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by A Evans A Evans wrote:

Has quit cycling (for good this time he says and being 39 i cant see him coming back again), the guy is an absolute legend and an example of how to fight back against a horrible disease, love road cycling myself so this guy is one of my sporting heroes.

So do I - great fun, if you can get away from too much traffic.

Have you read his book ("It's not about the bike")? Fascinating.
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I have, got nothing but admiration for the guy, the way he fought back from cancer and then win the tour 7 times, bit annoying that people are now labelling him as a drugs cheat even though he has never tested positive, sour grapes if you ask me, will always remember him blowing away Jan Ullrich going up the Alp du'ez, awesome.
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 5:07pm

I have, got nothing but admiration for the guy, the way he fought back from cancer and then win the tour 7 times, bit annoying that people are now labelling him as a drugs cheat even though he has never tested positive, sour grapes if you ask me, will always remember him blowing away Jan Ullrich going up the Alp du'ez, awesome.

I love France and the French - but they always had a bit of a downer on Lance - mainly, I suspect, because they have not had a winner for so long. Lance also, though a great cyclist, is not a great diplomat and tended to be pretty contemptuous of the journos - so he did provoke them, too.

As for French winners - did you know that two-time winner Laurent Fignon died last year from cancer at only 50? He continued to comment on the race on French TV, one day out of 2 (he was too weak to cover every day) right up to near the end of the 2010 tour. He didn't have much voice left, but still gave a forthright opinion (in that, he was very like Lance). he died on 31 August 2010 just a few weeks later.
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 6:09pm

I love France and the French - but they always had a bit of a downer on Lance - mainly, I suspect, because they have not had a winner for so long. Lance also, though a great cyclist, is not a great diplomat and tended to be pretty contemptuous of the journos - so he did provoke them, too.

As for French winners - did you know that two-time winner Laurent Fignon died last year from cancer at only 50? He continued to comment on the race on French TV, one day out of 2 (he was too weak to cover every day) right up to near the end of the 2010 tour. He didn't have much voice left, but still gave a forthright opinion (in that, he was very like Lance). he died on 31 August 2010 just a few weeks later.

Ye really sad, great cyclist and was involved in the closest finish ever to the tour when he lost to Greg Lamond by 8 seconds in the day when they finished the race with a time trial
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 8:18pm
WHAT SINGER WAS HE NOBBING
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 8:50pm
Sheryl Crow mun
maldwyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 9:01pm
Is Eddy Merrckx still about?I had a Derailleur once with his name on it.
Up the bum no harm done.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

WHAT SINGER WAS HE NOBBING

Quaint

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic