Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Players not supporting their own weight at rucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Players not supporting their own weight at rucks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Players not supporting their own weight at rucks
    Posted: 30 November 2013 at 10:46pm
Does this infuriate anyone else watching rugby or just me??

Team in possession have the ball at the back of the ruck ready for the scrum half to get it away.

If you look at the front of the ruck, one possibly two players from that side have their hands on the floor propping them up.

To me this is a penalty offence as it prevents a fair contest for the ball. I don't care wether the side have the ball by the SH's feet, they should still be penalised for it, really gets on my nerves!!

Have refs been told to ignore it when teams have obviously secured the ball??

They seem pretty hot on it when there is a contest for the ball, but not when it's secure.

Anyone else feel the same?
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2013 at 10:52pm
I totally agree. Yet its one of those offences that will be penalised 3 or 4 times a game. But happens at nearly every ruck.

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2013 at 10:56pm
Fair comment Haydn.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2013 at 11:02pm
However, what is MORE irritating is these kamikazes that dive straight I off the ground until they collied with the opposition. Yet, it goes unpunished largely.

Plus, advantage.

All in favour of trying to get a game of running rugby to develop, however, most of the improbable advantages don't come off and back we go to the original offence. What that really means is the spectators have lost a minute or two of the remaining playing time.

It's not the refs' fault. It's the interpretation. So, it's easily fixed but the TV timings might suffer.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2013 at 11:21pm
EO, advantage works two ways - territorial and possession as you probably know.

It's up to the ref what he deems as enough of an advantage in either of those two scenarios.

The one I don't like is the knock-on advantage, it's reffed that once the team with an advantage kick the ball away the advantage is over, but how much advantage does it really give them? Rarely do you see a side gain a big advantage in kicking the call after a knock-on, but I suppose the ref will say that the ball bas been taken closer to the defending sides try line than when the offence took place.

Who'd be a ref?!
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2013 at 11:36pm
Not me !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 1:03am
refs are told to reward the side in possession unless you commit a blatant offence the penalty goes to the side with ball in hand 

make of that what you will
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 9:15am
Thanks guys.
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 2:51pm
Its poor when kids look up to players and then as a coach you have to say don't watch 1st class rugby to see how its done as they are all cheating. The number of times oz were allowed to fly off their feet and manage the ruck was ridiculous
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 4:00pm
Wonder how we'll be playing that when Wayne comes to y Parc for Clermont.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Does this infuriate anyone else watching rugby or just me??

Team in possession have the ball at the back of the ruck ready for the scrum half to get it away.

If you look at the front of the ruck, one possibly two players from that side have their hands on the floor propping them up.

To me this is a penalty offence as it prevents a fair contest for the ball. I don't care wether the side have the ball by the SH's feet, they should still be penalised for it, really gets on my nerves!!

Have refs been told to ignore it when teams have obviously secured the ball??

They seem pretty hot on it when there is a contest for the ball, but not when it's secure.

Anyone else feel the same?

Don't altogether agree.

For example - very early last night, Shingler was penalised for leaning on a Scarlets player on the ground (so 'not supporting his weight' according to a strict interpretation) even though no Leinster players had arrived at the ruck - so there wasn't even a contest going on.

Later in the game, players from both sides were diving all over the place, with minimal punishment from the ref. (who overall was quite good IMO). I think refs have a tendency to award these 'soft' penalties early on as a warning to both teams not to infringe - but very rarely do they continue to be so strict for the 80 min - which is just as well, or we'd have an endless series of penalties.

Refs need to be consistent and explain to both teams how they intend to ref grey areas. If they did that, then there should be few complaints.

Edited by aber-fan - 01 December 2013 at 6:02pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic