Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North americans to join pro 12?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:12am
I just don't get the regional synergy like sticking Italy in a U.K and Irish league.
Sponsored Links

NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

We're [beep]ed, aren't we?
Conferences are a crock of poo. 6 home fixtures from that, plus 3 RCC games. That's 5 home games less.

Is there any article suggesting this is happening because I can't find anything.

You play half the teams in the other conference at home too which makes 9/10 home games.

Ultimately we need to find a way to increase our tv revenues significantly to compete with the English and French if this achieves that then I'm fine with it. If not then wtf would we agree to it.

Local SA reports from source close to Cheetahs. Due diligence on the viability of SARU and the SA system may still do for it, of course, but seems we're a long way down the road.

The conference groupings are pure speculation, based on 'even' distribution of teams from 2016-17 finishing positions, hence 1st place Welsh/Irish teams paired with 4th in Pool A, and 2nd & 3rd paired in Pool B.

I'm certain that PRW and the Welsh teams' management will have plenty to say about how the pools should be grouped in order to maximise the commercial revenue - this, after all, is what development of the league is all about.

Don't expect fixtures for 2017-18 to be announced any time soon...

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:55am
Translation of the Netwerk24 piece:

Pro12, here we come!
By Hendrik Cronjé 11 June 2017 08: 00

The Cheetahs and the South African Rugby Union (Saru) apparently came to a comparison on Friday's rugby overtime.

The Cheetahs are out of the Super Series for 2018 and it is likely that an announcement will be made shortly to confirm that the team will play in the Northern Hemisphere's Pro12 series.

Saru's executive committee met on Friday in great secrecy a second time this year. An offer that the Cheetahs could not refuse was apparently made to them. The offer can greatly strengthen the Cheetahs money matters.

For the Lions, it is a relief because, according to Saru's criteria according to which teams' Super status was determined and what would be to determine who would play in the reduced series in 2018, the Lions were the other team in the barrage .

The Lions, the Cheetahs and Southern Kings are the three teams that have taken the lowest places according to the criteria. This despite the fact that the Lions were South Africa's biggest star in the Super Series last year and this year.

Saru believes that the Bulls, Sharks and Stormers have recently announced that they will play on the basis of the criteria in next year's Super Series.

The Cheetahs drove Saru's dilution process when they threatened with legal action.

According to the Cheetahs, Saru would be guilty of breach of contract because the Cheetahs have a valid contract to play in the Super Series until 2020.

The Cheetahs participation in the Pro12 series may have advantages for their neighborhood unions, the Griquas and the Griffons. The Cheetahs may need to use Griquas and Griffons players in the European series, as the Free State will also play in the Currie Cup at the same time.

The possibility exists that Saru's chief executive, Jurie Roux, negotiated with the base of the overseas series for the Southern Kings a place in the Pro12.

Another option for Saru to accommodate the Kings is to let them participate in an American series.

The Kings lose several of their stars after this year's Super Series and it's uncertain whether they have enough time to get a strong team for the Pro12 series.

However, the Cheetahs, and possibly the Kings' participation in a Northern Hemisphere competition, are considered a positive step as it will ensure new income streams for South African rugby.

ExileTom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExileTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 12:06pm
SARU will be announcing which teams are dropped from super rugby on the 7th of July

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

'Unconfirmed reports, all but done' - nah, I'm sure there are discussing but I think the SA teams are using that as a bargaining tool. SARU idea is have less teams so the remaining teams have stronger squads - they won't want many would-be Super Rugby and Currie Cup players playing in the Pro 12.

As for the Kings, they are playing some great rugby and have a lot of very good and improving young players and the last few games they have had very big and enthusiastic crowds so I don't see them being kicked out of Super Rugby.

IF Pro 12 does expand then any structure which reduces Welsh derbies must be a non-starter.

Fun to speculate but IMO we don't need to worry
This is happening

You could be right and I could be wrong but to me this sounds VERY like all the stuff we had around the Welsh regions (but probably to be called Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport joining the English Prem when we were having all the problems with WRU (was it 3 years ago?). To me it is the SA sides' way of putting pressure on their Union to go back to SANZAR and look again at the idea of SA dropping two Super Rugby teams. I'll eat my pasty f this happens!
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:17pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

'Unconfirmed reports, all but done' - nah, I'm sure there are discussing but I think the SA teams are using that as a bargaining tool. SARU idea is have less teams so the remaining teams have stronger squads - they won't want many would-be Super Rugby and Currie Cup players playing in the Pro 12.

As for the Kings, they are playing some great rugby and have a lot of very good and improving young players and the last few games they have had very big and enthusiastic crowds so I don't see them being kicked out of Super Rugby.

IF Pro 12 does expand then any structure which reduces Welsh derbies must be a non-starter.

Fun to speculate but IMO we don't need to worry
This is happening

You could be right and I could be wrong but to me this sounds VERY like all the stuff we had around the Welsh regions (but probably to be called Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport joining the English Prem when we were having all the problems with WRU (was it 3 years ago?). To me it is the SA sides' way of putting pressure on their Union to go back to SANZAR and look again at the idea of SA dropping two Super Rugby teams. I'll eat my pasty f this happens!
In which case i hope you're hungry!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:22pm
Difference is, Rich, that 2-3 SA teams are certainly losing their Super Rugby franchise - Pro14 is a genuine lifeline for them, not a bargaining chip - they're already manning the lifeboats.

If SARU can convince the Celtic nations that they bring enough to the party (and I mean enough Rand), and between them they can hatch a plan to overcome the logistical and administrative challenges, then all parties will move mountains to make it work, even acknowledging Pro12's and SARU's less than stunning reputations in these fields.

I understand the scepticism, but where there's a will (and a lot of extra revenue) there'll be a way.

By the way, eating your own pasty doesn't seem much of a forfeit if you're wrong. LOL

Edited by NobbySosban - 14 June 2017 at 3:23pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:26pm
I have no idea if this is happening/likely, BUT...

it's clear that for EVERYONE the most lucrative fixtures will be the local derbies, so it would make sense for each conference to contain all the teams from a particular country. Back in the day, the big four (Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport) used to play each other up to four times a season. I'd be happy with a system which allowed us to play the Os 4 times a year! 

Someone needs to apply common sense, if we're going down this route, and arrange as many local derbies as possible within the fixture list.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 4:42pm
Thing is Nobby, although SANZAR made that decision, it wouldn't be the first time a rugby body was forced to back track. The South Africans have a lot of weight and if they say " actually this season showed us there are enough good players if we give them a chance and we now want to keep our 6 teams" then that will probably happen.

Yes I thought I'd play it safe with a pasty!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 8:47pm
They're working hard on it, and I really don't think SuperRugby will backtrack on the club cull. But as far as Pro12 are concerned, the SARU proposal hasn't yet got them across the line, nor, perhaps, even near it.

Many hard yards to go yet, and I agree that there are numerous tripping points for the deal, but if they discover the Magic Money Tree in South Africa, then odds-on it'll happen, and there'll be pasties for all.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 9:24pm
:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic