Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Werner Kruger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

With no dis-respect meant, and it's not a criticism at all, but he was a high budget NWQ signing. A guy with 100+ Super XV games.
He is achieving what should be expected of him in my view ( which hasn't always been the case with our foreign player signing granted).

The real story for me this season has been the emergence of local talent . It's been a very long time since I've seen such an exciting batch of young talent coming through.

You make a very good point - and I'm sure we'd all be delighted to praise the youngsters in any thread on the topic you may like to start.

As for Kruger - we have so often been disappointed with our NWQ signings in the past, it doesn't seem out of place to have a thread to thank hi =m for his efforts. He may be well paid, but he is earning his corn, IMO!

The last sentence is exactly what my post says.
Sponsored Links

Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 1:50pm
Of the 3 young tight head prospects mentioned only Javan Sebastian looks to have the quality to play regional rugby effectively.
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 3:28pm
I think that our choice of NWQ players has been very good- Kruger, Bullbring, Barclay, Parkes, McNicoll al down to earth players with common sense and a very good work ethic who are an example to our afore-mentioned promising youngsters. Only Bernardo hasn't made an impact at Pro-12 level, but 5/6 ain't bad.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 3:35pm
Funnily enough Bernardo's little cameo v Munster was pretty decent. Kruger on the other hand was pretty anonymous ( I'm being polite there, can't recall any notable involvement except getting pinged in the scrum a couple of times).
I'm not suggesting that he has been like that all seasson by the way, but he was easily eclipsed by Wyn and Elias in both attack and defence last Friday.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

With no dis-respect meant, and it's not a criticism at all, but he was a high budget NWQ signing. A guy with 100+ Super XV games.
He is achieving what should be expected of him in my view ( which hasn't always been the case with our foreign player signing granted).

The real story for me this season has been the emergence of local talent . It's been a very long time since I've seen such an exciting batch of young talent coming through.

You make a very good point - and I'm sure we'd all be delighted to praise the youngsters in any thread on the topic you may like to start.

As for Kruger - we have so often been disappointed with our NWQ signings in the past, it doesn't seem out of place to have a thread to thank hi =m for his efforts. He may be well paid, but he is earning his corn, IMO!

The last sentence is exactly what my post says.

I may be thick, but it seemed to me that you were implying that Kruger did not deserve a thread. ('He's been paid to do a job - move on.')

On the other side, I'm happy for him to have a thread, and I'd be MORE than happy if you started a new one to praise (for example) Wyn Jones, Elias, Boyde, Dan Jones, Steffs Evans and Hughes etc.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 4:40pm

Funnily enough Bernardo's little cameo v Munster was pretty decent. Kruger on the other hand was pretty anonymous ( I'm being polite there, can't recall any notable involvement except getting pinged in the scrum a couple of times).
I'm not suggesting that he has been like that all seasson by the way, but he was easily eclipsed by Wyn and Elias in both attack and defence last Friday.

Not sure I agree with that Wil. He didn't carry at all and made an average amount of tackles for a prop however I thought his maul support play was decent and he looked effective in the rucks.

I do agree though that on this occasion Elias and Wyn were more evident.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 4:43pm
It us a lot easier to be more prominent as a loose head and hooker than a tight head who by definition will be tied into the scrums longer will be usually in the third position in line out therefore supporting and first in maul after ball carrier. He does a lot of the donkey work offering support in rucks and mauls.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Not sure I agree with that Wil. He didn't carry at all and made an average amount of tackles for a prop however I thought his maul support play was decent and he looked effective in the rucks.

'Cameo' is right - was he even on for 10 min?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 5:34pm
I dont care whether he's from Dafen or Durban, when he pulls that shirt on he's a Scarlet and imo he's been a great signing and doing a great job for us.

I know you have strong views regarding locally developed players Wil, like most Im personally hugely proud of our development work, but truth is we cannot fill 45 pro slots with local players and we need people like Werner. Sorry, dont disagree with you much, but this was a needless hijacking of an innocent thread, which you sent off on a tangent and onto your self confessed pet topic.

I wasnt praising Werner to the detriment of Wil, Josh or Ryan's contribution. Not at all, I was just praising Werner.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

The stats for the game suggest he didn't touch the ball all game, made 5 tackles.

Anyway I'm labouring a point.

He's exactly what it says on the tin for me.

No more, no less. Given some of our previous forward acquisitions, I'm grateful for that.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 7:49pm
Kruger has been solid in the front row this season.
And We Were Singing...
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 8:20pm
With our budget, we've got to make our NWQ count. On the whole, they are.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Of the 3 young tight head prospects mentioned only Javan Sebastian looks to have the quality to play regional rugby effectively.
they're all still very young but glad you're qualified to make such a sweeping statement on their futures.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic