Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is getting silly now

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is getting silly now
    Posted: 03 August 2017 at 10:06am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40809505

Some people have way too much money.

£200 million for a transfer fee and £40 million a year both seem obscene to me. What little I understand about business says something is worth whatever somebody's willing to pay for it, and I'm sure enough people subscribe to Sky, buy shirts and other crap, pay £70 a ticket, not to mention use cars which ultimately has fuelled (Wink) this deal, but even so aren't people starting to feel completely alienated and detached when these sort of sums of money are involved?
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 11:24am
Quatari's flexing their muscles in the worlds of football, power and politics.

I read that Neymar's father made £60m in 4 days due to this transfer. Not bad work.

If someone is willing to pay that, then that is the market rate. They are obscene amounts of money. But some people are obscenely wealthy. That's the way of the world.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 11:30am
It should be regulated more and taxed far heavier....Jimmy Hill what have you done?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I read that Neymar's father made £60m in 4 days due to this transfer. Not bad work.

If someone is willing to pay that, then that is the market rate. They are obscene amounts of money. But some people are obscenely wealthy. That's the way of the world.

It's mind-boggling. I know Oxfam produced that stat of the world's richest eight people are worth the same as the poorest 3.6 million (50% of the planet's population).

And I was thinking Neymar's father has done pretty well also for even less relative work! 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

It's mind-boggling. I know Oxfam produced that stat of the world's richest eight people are worth the same as the poorest 3.6 million (50% of the planet's population).

And I was thinking Neymar's father has done pretty well also for even less relative work! 

I presume you mean 3.6 billion. That is a horrifying stat.

La Liga seem to be blocking this deal anyway on a technicality of player buyout clauses. All very lawyer/ power driven.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 2:04pm
Whatever happened to the Financial regulations brought in specifically to counter mega rich owners doing this sort of thing? I guess they were run by FIFA - enough said!!!!Wink
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 2:08pm
This sort of money sloshing about attracts corruption and corruptive practices by the bucket load.

Every one will want a cut, the pie is just much too big to catch 250k going to someone ineligible.

It went passed silly over a decade ago.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 3:00pm

La Liga seem to be blocking this deal anyway on a technicality of player buyout clauses. All very lawyer/ power driven.

Sorry, yes 3.6 billion.

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 5:15pm

Sorry, yes 3.6 billion.

To be fair, Bill Gates may be worth an enormous amount but through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation he has given away over $30 billion. Massive philanthropist.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 5:33pm
The Football Transfer Market has gone crazy 500 Million to sign Neymar
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 5:39pm
£500 million??? Geez, that could buy you half a government majority.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Sorry, yes 3.6 billion.

To be fair, Bill Gates may be worth an enormous amount but through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation he has given away over $30 billion. Massive philanthropist.

Definitely! I also read or saw something commenting on the rise of philanthropy and how dependent we've become on it as societies. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Sorry, yes 3.6 billion.

To be fair, Bill Gates may be worth an enormous amount but through the [URL=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation]Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation [/URL]he has given away over $30 billion. Massive philanthropist.

Definitely! I also read or saw something commenting on the rise of philanthropy and how dependent we've become on it as societies. 

Philanthropy comes around in cycles. Given that we are settling into a period of high debt, some rich folk will be minded to give to good causes out of social conscience. In fact Adam Smith wrote of this being a civic duty in wealth of nations. As we know there were many of the Victorian rich that were famously given to philanthropy too.

Nothing against philanthropy, in fact it's to be lauded, but perhaps the increase is symptomatic of an economy going bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic