Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:08pm
I believe if Johnnie who otherwise had an excellent game by the way had caught that ball in midfield when we were on top and we had overlap and were odds on to score. I really think had we done so we would be celebrating bonus point win we were so much on top at that time.
Really chuffed with performance not one of our players had bad game in my view. Pivac selection spot on for me. Rawlings is a freak of nature looks light as feather but so brave the tackles he put in yesterday were phenomenal. Scott's best game of season looks back to best. Macleod is unbelievable for 20, Jake was huge in the amount and quality of his carries and if Shingler isn't the Welsh 6 for the autumn I give up.
Really must back it up with win Friday though against a strong Bath side. Can't wait could be game of season two sides who like to play the game as it should be played.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I watched that last play of ours again this morning...mam fach we nearly made a cawlach of that one.

Ref said we could have a lineout 3 times...we still tapped it and nearly ran up an alley...

Not good for my grey that mun.

For info...the coaches chose whether the kick for goal or territory.

not much point having 1/2p in the line up then,the 2 kicks for touch second half were well within his range.

Who would you pick insead of 1/2p?

Anyone else seen rawlins make 3 tackles b2b in the first half?! Forwards put a hell of a shift in

Edited by Matthew Cardey - 16 October 2017 at 1:09pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

I watched that last play of ours again this morning...mam fach we nearly made a cawlach of that one.

Ref said we could have a lineout 3 times...we still tapped it and nearly ran up an alley...

not much point having 1/2p in the line up then,the 2 kicks for touch second half were well within his range.

Anyone else seen rawlins make 3 tackles b2b in the first half?! Forwards put a hell of a shift in
probably worded that wrong my point is what's the point of having one of the best kickers in the world if your not going to use him in tight situations,don't want him dropped.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:19pm
I really like our attitude of kicking to touch more than most teams do. However I think when you have a terrible start and are 18 points down it puts a lot of extra pressure on you to convert those situations and it may not be great then.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Are you sure on that last bit Will?

Aye. Asked Scott.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:28pm
I'm so so about it. Problem if you get the 3 points is that (following kick off, a maul and a ruck and a kick to touch - as per norm) the opposition normally have an attacking line out on our 10m line. So if we go to touch instead of kicking for goal we have a chance of 7 points or, if we don't score, unless we give away a penalty we stay in their half attacking which (1) Gives us another chance of scoring and (2) keeps them out of our half and the resultant increased chance of them scoring..
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:32pm
Same. If Jonny Mc had got the ball down we’d be applauding the line out call....small margins...

I’m with Ladram really. One of the worlds top kickers ...yada yada
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:47pm

Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

probably worded that wrong my point is what's the point of having one of the best kickers in the world if your not going to use him in tight situations,don't want him dropped.

I agree... 1/2p isn't Liam, he won't make so many damaging runs or breaks, but what he does give you is a likelihood that he'll land most of his kicks - good coaches use the players at their disposal to their best advantage, and in this single instance I don't think our coaches have got their thinking caps on. (I have great faith in and respect for our coaches - simply disagree on this one point. If it's 'take 3 if it's safe, touch if not', then maybe they need to re-think what is likely 'safe' with 1/2p playing.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:48pm

I'm so so about it. Problem if you get the 3 points is that (following kick off, a maul and a ruck and a kick to touch - as per norm) the opposition normally have an attacking line out on our 10m line. So if we go to touch instead of kicking for goal we have a chance of 7 points or, if we don't score, unless we give away a penalty we stay in their half attacking which (1) Gives us another chance of scoring and (2) keeps them out of our half and the resultant increased chance of them scoring..

That's only true if the Scarlets return the kick-off to touch... which they hardly ever do these days unless my Alzheimer's is getting worse...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I believe if Johnnie who otherwise had an excellent game by the way had caught that ball in midfield when we were on top and we had overlap and were odds on to score. I really think had we done so we would be celebrating bonus point win we were so much on top at that time.
Really chuffed with performance not one of our players had bad game in my view. Pivac selection spot on for me. Rawlings is a freak of nature looks light as feather but so brave the tackles he put in yesterday were phenomenal. Scott's best game of season looks back to best. Macleod is unbelievable for 20, Jake was huge in the amount and quality of his carries and if Shingler isn't the Welsh 6 for the autumn I give up.
Really must back it up with win Friday though against a strong Bath side. Can't wait could be game of season two sides who like to play the game as it should be played.

That pass should never have gone to Jonny... not sure who gave it, but we had an overlap with straightforward passing along the line... of course, he should have caught it, but he had a super game in general.

Totally agree with your praise for our players, BTW.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

That's only true if the Scarlets return the kick-off to touch... which they hardly ever do these days unless my Alzheimer's is getting worse...

No it's not! I was merging poorly between rugby generalizations and talking about us - but even with our normal response the likelihood would be (in no particular order) (1) we lose possession and the ball stays in our half with them in possession or (2} them eventually receiving a kick to counter attack from or (3) us giving away a penalty for holding on in tackle/joining the ruck from offside. Now other potential outcomes are of course that we make it into their half with the ball or they give away a penalty but against Toulon I'd say those outcomes are less likely than the first three (as good as we are).
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

No it's not! I was merging poorly between rugby generalizations and talking about us - but even with our normal response the likelihood would be (in no particular order) (1) we lose possession and the ball stays in our half with them in possession or (2} them eventually receiving a kick to counter attack from or (3) us giving away a penalty for holding on in tackle/joining the ruck from offside. Now other potential outcomes are of course that we make it into their half with the ball or they give away a penalty but against Toulon I'd say those outcomes are less likely than the first three (as good as we are).

I actually think our 'typical' response is to truck it up once or twice, followed by a box kick - what happens next depends on its accuracy and the quality of the chase. 

I note that you don't refer to us kicking it directly to touch on the 10m line even once in your scenarios!Shocked
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:05pm
[QUOTE=InTheBath] Our heart, effort and skill were fantastic - especially those players not considered first choice. We should fear no team (apart from maybe Saracens away!). They did the club proud.

However.....

I am sure the players are very disappointed with some of the plays that led to us losing the game. The first try was a nightmare - throwing to our 7 when we had 4 other jumpers on the pitch, a horrible delivery forcing a 25m blind pass off the wrong hand....horrible. We were very slow out of the blocks and at 18-0 down I feared the worst.

This lack of momentum put Pearce firmly behind Toulon who then won some 50/50s and made the job even harder in the first half. We then decided not to kick at goal with over an hour left....I'm not sure why we didn't take a few of them on.

2nd Half was mostly great, though there were still some uncharacteristic errors with a few turnover chances not converted and some headless play letting them off the hook.

It was a very good performance all in, but I think there is a lot more to come from this team and in the end, despite missing loads of players, it is one that got away.

Hopefully everyone is ok for

Wyn Jones is a superstar

Indeed he is but has he signed for next season?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic