Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clive Sullivan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clive Sullivan
    Posted: 27 October 2017 at 9:38am
I hadn't heard of him before but interesting article on the BBC:

When in the Army he was apparently picked for a rugby game just "for being Welsh" and it all started from there!
Sponsored Links

The Brain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:24am
Embararassed to say I'd not heard of him either.

Powerful story fair play, sounds like he was made of tough stuff.

If you cannot bite, never show your teeth.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:34am
Yes he was a great in league and achieved so much as a black guy with all that prejudice. I hadn’t realised he had died though and so young in his early 40,s
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 10:42am
His son Anthony was a very good winger who played for the Welsh rugby league team
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

His son Anthony was a very good winger who played for the Welsh rugby league team

And he got a cap for us in union during his stint with Cardiff,

His old man was class according to lge fans, wales had some great leg players him boston lewis jones etc
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 7:48pm
Yes, a brilliant player - I remember seeing him on TV, almost certainly with Eddie Waring commentating in his inimitable style and accent. (I had completely forgotten that Sullivan died so young - a real shame.)

Other great Welsh RL players of the era (more or less) were Llanelli's own Lewis Jones, and Billy Boston - another superb coloured player from Cardiff.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic