Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales's Summer Matches set to be televised on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales's Summer Matches set to be televised on
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:31pm

Wales' historic summer Test match against South Africa is set to be screened live on Channel Four, with the broadcaster also in line to show the tour of Argentina. It will be the first time Wales rugby matches has ever been shown on the channel, which is not known for its rugby coverage.

No deal has been signed yet but it is understood talks are at an advanced stage with the broadcaster to show the opening match of Wales' summer schedule on June 2. The ground-breaking first game takes place at the RFK Stadium in Washington, with 12,000 tickets currently sold. Reports last month suggested the game could be in jeopardy but they have since been strenuously denied by organisers.

It's believed the BBC and online broadcaster Amazon were also interested in screening Wales' matches but both look to have missed out.

Warren Gatland's men follow their game against the Springboks with a two-Test series in Argentina, where they face the Pumas on June 9 and June 16.

And it's understood Channel Four are in line to show all three games as a bundle package.

They have no track record of covering international rugby but will broadcast nine live matches in the European Champions Cup from next season.

Their main sports coverage is now largely focused on Formula One and other motor sport, having previously covered horse racing.

The move would be another blow for the BBC after i t was confirmed they have lost the rights to broadcast PRO14 matches earlier this week, with pay TV channel Premier Sports taking over.

Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:09pm
Thanks for that - we'll keep a lookout for updates and confirmation.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:49pm
Anything that keeps Jiffy off my screen is a positive for me.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

The 'off' switch?Wink
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:33pm
Maybe the BBC can broadcast the Welsh Premiership (teams like RGC, Neath, Cardiff, Llanelli and Merthyr)?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:01pm

Channel 4 may sign him up !
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by rygbi11 rygbi11 wrote:

Maybe the BBC can broadcast the Welsh Premiership (teams like RGC, Neath, Cardiff, Llanelli and Merthyr)?

Or, indeed, the new tournament for young players, if it comes to pass - that would be quite interesting.
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Or, indeed, the new tournament for young players, if it comes to pass - that would be quite interesting.

Yes. Good point.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

The 'off' switch?Wink
The mute button works better! (In all seriousness it’s a regular occurrence)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:27am

I think they are considering this...
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:47pm
Channel 4 confirmed to be showing the matches live with S4C showing highlights the day after.

Channel 4 will also be broadcasting 9 matches each season of the Champions Cup for 4 seasons from September.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic