Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leicester sack head coach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leicester sack head coach
    Posted: 03 September 2018 at 9:55pm
Leicester have sacked Matt O'Connor after 1 game....
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Sponsored Links

Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 11:20pm
Seems like most knew it was coming and happy with his departure 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Seems like most knew it was coming and happy with his departure 
Classy.

I see they want Leo cullen and Lancaster on the Tiggers forum. Geordan Murphy to take over for now.

Crazy timing. They should have done it in preseason, or backed him for the next. This isnt football.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 8:36am
Strange timing - writing on the wall not getting to play offs last season. Lancaster may well be tempted which would be a shame as he was high on my list for Scarlets.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 11:39am
I wonder whether they’ve saved money by sacking him after the season started...
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Strange timing - writing on the wall not getting to play offs last season. Lancaster may well be tempted which would be a shame as he was high on my list for Scarlets.

The timing is indeed peculiar.

They haven't done themselves any favours - surely, they can't expect to get much out of the RCC, now? Maybe a new coach can turn things around for their premiership...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 2:57pm
Apparently O'Connor was late back to Leicester from Australia for pre-season preparation and admi5ed the squad was not ready for the Premiership start. Always a danger with Southern Hemisphere coaches 😎😎
Keep the faith
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 4:08pm
There have been so many stories coming out of Leicester that no one can actually know what happened. 

Nearly had sack end of last season
CE & ?? spoke to him and set targets
Senior players did not like him
Many supporters did not like him (this was his 3rd go at the club)
Apparently late coming back from holidays (Management knew they were not happy but allegedly in contract)

How results and pressure gets to teams, like them or loath them Leicester has always been a top club run properly, except last 18 months with 3 coaches.

I'm not sad, but I feel it's made our European matches that bit harder.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 4:31pm
Leicester made a huge mistake in getting rid of Cockerill. He will have a wry smile on his face reading about this I am sure. 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Leicester made a huge mistake in getting rid of Cockerill. He will have a wry smile on his face reading about this I am sure. 

The cockerill will be crowing 😁
Keep the faith
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 7:30pm
Superb😁
Unfortunately this sorry episode in Leicester’s proud history could be the worst thing that could happen to us. This, I’m sure will galvanise them as a squad.
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2018 at 8:47pm
Geordie Murphy was always getting the job, just came a bit sooner than planned, just hope he has a magic wand in his kit bag for this weekend.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 9:03am
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Geordie Murphy was always getting the job, just came a bit sooner than planned, just hope he has a magic wand in his kit bag for this weekend.

Yes he is very well thought of at Leicester and won't be found wanting in effort. I could never understand getting rid of Cockerill & have never rated his successor. If Geordie doesn't turn things round this season what odds on a return for the old hero Deano????
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 9:17am
Maybe well thought off, but never offered the job, which is why his name was linked with a number of clubs this year. Turned down Cardiff (which I can accept) and not offered anything.

Deano went public to say that Newcastle's job was one only half done, and would not move until he thought it was job done and happy.

My feeling is that Murphy is a good soldier but not a leader. 

All in all a worrying situation for the Scarlets as nothing is more dangerous than a wounded animal, and one as as proud as Leicester.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2018 at 4:54pm
Dean Richards won't come back unless most of the board leave, they are still here from when he was sacked, to be honest I'd rather have Martin Johnson as a back room man, on board of directors would be perfect job for him.
 At least we conjured up a win, just need to learn to play for the full 80 minutes now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45411011
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic